• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS is suddently missing from Project Manager (RH10)

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly, my main css (named "Sol8.css) isn't showing up in the Project Manager... it shows everywhere else, but there.. see attached image. I have no idea why this is suddenly the case.  I would like to be able to access it for editing in the HTML editor within RoboHelp 10... what happened?

HELP! and Thanks...

missingcss1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Actually, you might find that deleting the cpd is causing the css file to vanish. (I've seen it affect some (but not all) images as well, and in fact was a major reason my last job switched to Madcap Flare.)

Try this:

(NOTE: if it's a really large project, you might need to go out for coffee or lunch. Basically this will refresh the RH file list database (my interpretation), which can take a long time for large projects. We had one that took an hour.)

1. Create a new folder. It can be anywhere and cal

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps try right-clicking the Project Manager and choosing Explore. This should open Windows Explorer in your project location. Then close the project. Locate and delete the CPD file and re-open the project. See if that fixes it.

If you are hinky about deleting the CPD, just rename it to a CPDX.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope... didn't work.. 😞

I had deleted the cpd  a couple of times already so i don't worry about that... I thought maybe your idea about selecting "Explore" might help.. but no.. is there a way to manually add it back into PM? i have tried, but can't find a way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, very odd.

The only way I'm aware of that it even gets into the PM to begin with is when you choose to link it to one or more topics.

Perhaps select a topic, link it temporarily to a different CSS, save all and RE-link it to the original CSS?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok... lemme try that.. thanks.. brb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok... really bizarre behavior IMHO.. so I tried selecting a topic, then changing the css to the Sol7 that shows up... save, then change it back to Sol8... still didn't appear in the SS folder.

Then i tried applying Sol 8 to all topics via the Topics List pod... no change... then I tried changing them all to Sol7... then back to Sol8.. no change. Then i tried saving all to the RHMapping CSS and that made the Sol7 file disappear from the folder as well... then suddenly, i noticed a link to Sol8 in a topic folder... and voila.. there it was... even tho everywhere else it shows up in the Resources>SS folder...

so i tried dragging the Sol8 file back into the SS folder... but i kept getting an error that i couldn't do that because it was being used in the project... ok.. but shouldn't i be able to change the location of my files?  So, it let me change the name.. and then i was able to move it to the SS folder, but when i tried to name it back to the original name, it didn't let me... (see attached error)error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i solved the mystery of why it suddenly appeared in a topic folder... i selected the topic in the topic list and browsed for the Sol8 css in another project... and it copied that css into my project, but copied it into the same folder as the selected topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok... next thing is, I created a new topic in the SS folder thinking if it acted like it did with the other topic, it would just drop the css into the same folder (this time Stylesheet where the new topic is)... but then it came up and asked me if i wanted to overwrite the existing Sol8. css.. so i said yes... and it still didn't show up in the SS folder.

If i unlink the css "already being used in the project" from the topics its linked to, it disappears again...

if i go into a Topic's properties and try to use the browse link to browse to the Resource/SS folder of the same project, it tells me it's already there and i can't add it again... but i still can't see it in PM.

I have tried every combo i can think of.. and deleted the CPD every other time... good lord!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you might find that deleting the cpd is causing the css file to vanish. (I've seen it affect some (but not all) images as well, and in fact was a major reason my last job switched to Madcap Flare.)

Try this:

(NOTE: if it's a really large project, you might need to go out for coffee or lunch. Basically this will refresh the RH file list database (my interpretation), which can take a long time for large projects. We had one that took an hour.)

1. Create a new folder. It can be anywhere and called anything and you can delete it in a moment.
  2. Check if your css file is displaying in Project Manager again.
  3. Delete the new folder you just created.

If this works, you'll have to create and delete a new folder when you want to edit the stylesheet after you delete the cpd (or just use windows explorer and an external editor).

Please also report this as a bug to Adobe. I've done so on a couple of occasions, but most people look at me like I'm mad. Which reminds me, I should report it again and link to this thread.

If it doesn't work, sorry, I'm out of ideas.

(Edit: Bug submitted with link to this thread and also https://forums.adobe.com/message/3478909)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amebr,

I'm a little confused by your instructions.. why would creating and deleting a folder take long because it's a  large project... what am I missing here.. is there a step missing or am I being blonde... ?

Thanks,

kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure Amber will pop in until later, but I think I have a basic understanding of why that might occur.

If your project is very large, with lots of folders and lots of links, it can take sometimes a significant amount of time for RoboHelp to update all the internal tables and the database that keeps track of your project.

How long it may take depends on the project complexity.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i literally just create the folder, check for css, then delete the folder.. no closing the project at any time or anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O  M  G... IT WORKED!

cssfound.PNG

THANK YOU AMEBR AND RICK!  WHO'D A THUNK IT?  At least this time it wasn't me just not knowing what to do!

TYTYTYTYTYTY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad Amber's advice worked!

While I really have no idea exactly WHY creating a folder would work for this, likely it triggered some database manipulation RoboHelp performed that made it refresh.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow up, Rick... I "guess" that makes sense! lol

WHEW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Rick said.

Also please, please, please report it as a bug. It is such a pain. And I think Adobe is getting sick of me reporting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But... But... Dark Lord of the Sith is your new master!

Why would you be reporting things about RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, that was my old job what I left last year. Plus I like randomly reporting issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in reporting, can i be lazy and point them to this thread? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doggone it Peter! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw.. I have officially reported the "bug"... without just pointing them to this thread!   However, I was unable to provide steps to reproduce as this issue just suddenly occurred and continues to do so, and I can find no rhyme or reason for it.  So I just repeat the "treatment" (since it isn't totally cured) that Amebr provided.

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it is a female thing, he says ducking his head.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Cruisin' for a bruisin', Peter. )

Also, I've managed to reliably reproduce the css issue in a new project using the e-Handbook option, and sent the instructions through to an Adobe support person who contact me for additional information. Hopefully we'll see some movement on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or... Maybe it's a problem men just haven't notice and it took women to notice it, and one very wickedly smart woman to FIX IT! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp