• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFBuilder 3 syntax coloring is not working for nested tags, why did I miss?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the example below, the <cfclient> tags are red, but not for the <cfinclude> tag.

<cfclient>

<!--- All cfclient code to creat dynamic HTML and

interface with data access CFC is in the following included file --->

<cfinclude template="index_include.cfm" >

</cfclient>

Similarly, the <html> tags are blue, but not the <head> tags

<html>

<head>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/jquery.mobile-1.4.2.min.css" ></link>

<script src="js/jquery-2.1.0.min.js" ></script>

<script src="js/app.js"></script>

<script src="js/jquery.mobile-1.4.2.min.js" ></script>

<style >

table th {

text-align:left;

}

</style>

</head>

</html>

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

A common solution to problems with CFB (or a way to confirm if something is a “real bug”) is to create a new workspace (with the file menu in Windows, perhaps the Mac menu in OS X). You can revert back to the previous one if you note its location. Often that will show that the problem does not occur in the new workspace, and so it is some sort of configuration issue—or could be a bug, but if you can just work with the new workspace (and reconfigure it to your satisfaction with whatever desirable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took your exact code and pasted it into a doc in CFB3.  I don't see any color coding issues.

http://screencast.com/t/gW5cSI481Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I see.  Are you on a Windows or Mac OSX?  I am on Mac OSX.

Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 12.26.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on MacOSX as well.  I am unable to see what you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm...  Odd.   Any ideas on what could have happened?  If not, thanks anyway.  The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded the trial and then applied the license key.  In any case, I will keep troubleshooting and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common solution to problems with CFB (or a way to confirm if something is a “real bug”) is to create a new workspace (with the file menu in Windows, perhaps the Mac menu in OS X). You can revert back to the previous one if you note its location. Often that will show that the problem does not occur in the new workspace, and so it is some sort of configuration issue—or could be a bug, but if you can just work with the new workspace (and reconfigure it to your satisfaction with whatever desirable settings you had in the previous workspace).

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie!  That did it.  Fortunately, I am just getting started with my setup, so no big deal in working with the new workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, good to hear. And always a useful “trick” to try in such situations. Of course, it’s not really a help to understanding “why” things break like that, but at least it’s a way to recover and move on, when desperate. Glad to help.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey fergusondj, if it's not too much trouble, can you please export your Syntax Coloring (ColdFusion > Profiles > Editor > Syntax Coloring) and post the file here?  I am wondering if I somehow jacked mine up.  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since @fergusondj confirmed it is working in CFB3, are you sure you have the dictionary set to CF 11 in your project settings?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just confirmed the project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a wierd problem. None of my COL files which usied to work perfectly with builder 2 are not being accepted by the Builder 3. I am using a trial version. Is that the issue? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that isn't a bug.  You have to create new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into issues with code coloring in CF Builder 3.  I've installed the CF Builder updates, tried a different workspace, and confirmed a co worker has the same problems.  These comments are old so I was surprised to run into so many color coding issues.  However I checked the bug database and out of the 71 open bugs, 13 (18.3%) of the open bugs are related to code coloring!  Why don't they fix this?? This is a deal breaker for me.  I am not flexible enough to function without it working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, Steve, I'd just move on if i were you. Life's too short to be in constant dismay with something. Obviously either the problems don't affect enough people or are very particular to some and perhaps too intractable to solve. (I don't work for Adobe, so I can say that, even if I may be proven wrong.) So check out CFEclipse, Sublime Text, or any of many other CFML editor options to see if something suits you better. See a list i keep at http://www.cf411.com/editors.

Of course, I realize your comment is likely more hoping to spark a reply from someone at Adobe. There's no guarantee that anyone there will read these comments, so we can hope so but given how long this has gone on, that's why I say what I do. (To be clear, I do know that CFBuilder suits many and provides unique features that others do not. Each has their pros and cons. Folks just have to find the tool that suits them best.)

Hope that's helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comment was made so someone else won't read this thread and think the syntax coloring issues have been resolved (as I did).  I've been trying in vain the figure out what the problem is.  When I finally thought to check the bug database it became clear that the problem is not resolved.  Maybe someone else will not waste time trying to find a solution to this as I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my comment was made simply to help you consider alternatives. If perhaps you may not have found it helpful, then like you I hope it also may have helped other readers who end up in the same boat as you. I certainly meant no offense.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, Rakshith Naresh (the Product Manager for CF) visited our BACFUG group last night.  During our discussions, he mentioned there is an update coming soon (no date specified) for CFBuilder 3 that should fix the syntax coloring issues that we all have been dealing with.  Here's hoping (and crossed fingers)!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good to hear. Thanks for the update, Carl. (Of course, some will say “we’ve heard that before”, but let’s keep hope alive.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this sucks... I have the same problems and will probably not use coldfusion builder... will go back to cfeclipse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what I see with and apostrophe

This without the apostrophe

Either way the colors are jacked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation