• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Activate a Previous and a Next (NOT History) Navigation Image/Button?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 10, using Multiscreen HTML5 layout; Desktop Layout:
All of my searches result in the same answers, which tell me to insert javascript:history.go(-1) and javascript:history.go(1) into the Link to field of the Hyperlink Properties dialog for my arrow button images in the Screen Layout Editor.

However, all this does is to enable the user to navigate pages already visited (i.e., history). What I need is for the navigation buttons to just page through all of the topics in the order in which the FrameMaker book's pages go (e.g., page Next from 1 through 868 in that sequence).

I sincerely hope that I do not have to manually create a browse sequence for over 800 pages, and four levels of TOC, and if I create a browse sequence automatically from the TOC, doesn't that just allow the user to click through the topics alphabetically?

The vanilla Screen Layout Editor has a 'previous' and a 'next' button, next to the 'print'' icon (which works, by the way). Why don't these browse sequence buttons work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you have constructed your TOC in a specific order, the browse sequence based on the TOC should follow the order specified in the TOC you are pointing to.

The only way it would do an alphabetical order would be if you built the TOC like that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now that I have (automatically) created a Browse Sequence from my TOC (using “Auto-create using TOC”), the browse sequence buttons behave in the generated output as follows:

The previous and next buttons work as expected (that is, page back and page forward), but only within a certain TOC level; that is, if I am browsing several topics that are at TOC heading level 3, I can only browse previous and next within those topics in that level. If I open a level 1 heading TOC, I can browse only topics at TOC level 1, but the browse sequence bypasses all sub-level topics underneath level 1, going to the next or previous TOC level 1 topic.

The “Auto-create using TOC” feature in the Browse Sequence Editor is still mysterious to me regarding what it actually does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you created the sequence, you should have seen an option that allowed you to choose the number of levels.

Choose 0.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I selected to include four levels, as displayed below:

The issue, however, is that the sequence navigation buttons (‘Previous’ and ‘Next’ buttons) only allow me to navigate within one level at a time. For example, in the screen shot below, the forward and back buttons only allow me to go back and forward between the two TOC heading level 3 topics (“Application Transfer” and “Time Withdrawal Transfer”).

Additionally, if I click on a higher-level TOC heading, such as “Introduction,” then click the Forward/Next nav button, the navigation goes to the next (“Getting Started”) level-one TOC heading, bypassing all the sub-heading topics underneath:

I just want the navigation browse sequence buttons to move through each topic in order, regardless of its heading level. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

-Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

A couple of issues.

1. You mention a screen shot. I'm guessing you replied via email. Sorry, but if you want to supply a screen shot, you need to visit the forums using the browser and upload it that way. (Attachments are stripped when replying via email)

2. You said you selected 4 levels? I advised earlier to choose 0 as in Zero, Nada, the big ole goose egg. That's the key to making a single long sequence. Choosing anything other will result in creating multiple sequences based on books. And then you can only navigate between the pages of the book.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Ah, yes; sorry about that. I replied via email because I could not log in to Adobe via my employer’s network (it’s intermittent). The screens that I included just showed the hierarchy of topics in the HTML5 output.

So, I tried entering 0 (zero) as you advised, but after I generate, I still have the same issue (paging through with the browse sequence buttons only opens topics on the topic heading level on which I started navigation).

Any other clues? I’m at a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp