1 2 3 Previous Next 98 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 2:38 AM by jackmotel Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
        chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Thank you for adding the bug, bugbase.adobe.com is sufficient.  We just released 11.3 officially, so I'd definitely recommend giving that a try.  I think opening a new thread would probably be better than tacking to this one, you can always reference this thread in your initial post if you feel like there's relevant info here.

Chris

• 81. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
          need4steer Level 1

Thanks a lot for keeping us updated.

I just downloaded the latest version (11.3.300.257).

BTW, it's nice to have the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions into one installer, and to have one uninstaller both active-x and the plugin version.

I'll check the new version, and I'll update.

I'll sure open a new bug and a new thread if the problem will persist.

• 82. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
            need4steer Level 1

Unfortunately the problem is persisting in the latest version also.

I sure will open a new discussion and a new bug.

I'll collect as much information as I can.

BTW, I think the workaround for now is just to locate the leaking iexplore.exe process and ending it using the Task Manager, and then everything is back to "normal", untill some other iexplore.exe process will leak, and then end, and so on.

Pretty annoying, but working.

I must admit it's a bit hectic right now becuase of the upcoming tests, so it might take me a while, maximum 4 weeks from now.

I'll be back...

• 84. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
              Dr4zr3ckn3d Level 1

Hi Chris, I just wanted to throw my hand in the air and say that I too am a victim to the GCOD (Grey Circle of Death). I have noticed that this has been prevalent for me for almost a year now. I know you are working hard to fix this and for that, you have my gratitude. Here is what I see when I encounter the GCOD:

Memory rises, once it hits its limit it "shields" itself thus leaving me with the GCOD. I have also tried Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9. It seems to occur when running audio/video streaming for too long. If this helps, great, if not, I wanted to voice my thoughts and situation.

Now I have something else I would like to ask you Chris. Since restarting is a pain for me, is there some way I can manually restart flash so that I can continue with whatever it was that I was doing before the GCOD? If there were a way, would you please inform me/others of how to do it?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Edit: I could not wait so I researched it for a bit. This is a fix for me for now, but it might be of some use or help to others.

What I did when I got the GCOD: For Chrome- I pressed Shift+Escape and ended the flash process (it was at the end of the list.). For Internet Explorer- I ended all iexplore.exe processes and restarted IE. For Firefox and Opera, I did the same but the .exe's for them were Opera.exe (Opera) and plugin-container.exe (FF)

Here is the link for the information of which I learned this temporary Band-Aid fix: http://forum.playdom.com/showthread.php?39805-How-to-Force-Exit-Flash-Player-without-Resta rting-your-PC

Message was edited by: Dr4zr3ckn3d

• 85. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                need4steer Level 1

Thanks a lot for your confirmation.

I saw it only in Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, in Internet Explorer 9 32-bit.

As I wrote in my previous post, I'll open a new discussion in which I'll describe in detail how to restore the GCOD.

I'll also post a new bug.

BTW thanks a lot for the link with the explanatios about how to stop Flash Player.

I'll just clarify that the method that is mentioned for Internet Explorer is not great, becuase just ending all of the iexplore.exe precesses will indeed close Internet Explorer, but ending just the "leaking" one, as I described in my previous post, will solve the problem by restarting the Flash Player, and in the worst case it'll reopen the tabs, or some of them, that was (were) open.

• 86. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                  KiraRG Level 1

Expalin in dumb dumb terms please. So many big words and steps that I don't understand.

• 87. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                    Bonyak Level 1

In simple terms flashplayer has a leak like turning the water on or off and it still keeps going except this is a memory leak. After many hours of play or use the bathtub gets full and the water has to go some place. Only there is no place for the memory to go because it is full up. So you get the circle with ! point saying it is full up. unlike water you can reset the memory by closing your browser, restarting the game or what other wise is causing the memory to fillup. It is like draining the bathtub and starting again. there are several solutions posted in this thread to get it to work again. I have not had the problem for along time but it keeps coming up for other people. Update to the latest flashplayer version for your system. One thing I noticed is you must install flashplayer for each browser you are using. So update while using IE and once again for Firefox or other browsers. The latest version does not update except for using the browser that applies to the install. So use the specific browser to update flashplayer.

• 88. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                      KiraRG Level 1

The circle that I get with the ! doesn't say that its filled up,and I have the lastest flash for my browsers. I've restarted the game,browsers,and my computer and I still get that circle.

• 89. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                        need4steer Level 1

Then when is it occurs?

And we all should notice the note of Chris Campbell's - that this topic was opened for one bug - a bug in a digital signage app that uses the flash player OCX as a COM component within a .NET application.

"Our bug" - After playing some Flash videos (it's not obvious how many since it's random) we're getting the GCOD and Flash Player is crashing.

That one bug for which this topic was created has the same results as out bug - the Grey Circle of Death (GCOD) - a white exclamation mark in a grey circle on a white background.

It is reported in Adobe's bugbase at: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2928203

Chris Campbell noted us that we should open a new discussion and a new bug report.

I'm intending to do so very soon.

I'll post here a link for it too, so this discussion won't die.

• 90. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                          Bonyak Level 1

That is the nature of the the circle with explination point it is the indicator saying memory of flashplayer has exceeded its limits. When you get the gray circle of death that is flashplayer saying I am full. need4steer has addressed the matter but it is in tech this is actually a new problem with a memory leak so I have been wating for a new thread to the new discission.

• 91. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                            ZombiePigMen Level 1

This happens to me client side on Chrome all the time when I am in a flash-based browser game. Same with Youtube. Other then just restarting the computer, are there are other fixes?

• 92. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                              Bonyak Level 1

Yes look back up the thread this is acutally the new memory leak issue some members have been addressing this is a new bug on an old issue of memory leaks the original was another memory leak again we are waiting to be notified of the new thread on this issue.

• 93. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                need4steer Level 1

@Bonyak: I'll make an effort and will try to open a new thread with the details about this problem and how to restore it so Adobe hopefully will be able to verify it and to solve it.

@ZombiePigMen: There are indeed some methods to bypass the GCOD. As Bonyak suggested there are details in the previous page.

For your convenience, the link is:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4500900#4500900

• 94. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                  APortales Level 1

Did you have any update about this issue?

I'm running WPF application for many Kiosks  that use the OCX control to show animations ads, after a certain repetitions of animations, the gray circle appear.

Please, let me know if you currently have a flash player fix to solve it.

Best Regards.

• 95. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                    chris.campbell Adobe Employee

@Aportales - I think the best approach would be to go ahead and add a new bug specific to your out of memory situation.  Could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  When adding the bug, please include sample code and your swf (or url to hosted content) so we can quickly test this out internally.  If you'd like to keep this private, feel free to email the attachment to me directly (ccampbel@adobe.com). 

Once added, please post back and I can ask someone to test this out.

Thanks,

Chris

• 96. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                      home_aidan Level 1

Hi Chris,

I develop a touch screen interfaces using flash. The flash sits with in VB7, VB7 I belive uses the internet explorer 8 plugin to display the flash.

The GCOD has been a constant issue for us. I have been fighting it off for 4 years now by nulling vars, removing ref to classes removing event listeners and so on. So things have been ok.

But this last week Ive been seing the GCOD and not being able to figure out why its occuing as the memory useage looks fine.

I have a few questions...

System.freeMemory +  System.totalMemory... This is the total memory given to flash to run the program with? freememory being whats left for flash to use? and totalmemory being the amount thats actually in use by the flash program?

Can the amount of total memory available to flash flucturate? i.e can a system take memory that was originally given to flash and use it some where else for example if microsoft word was opened could a system rob memory from flash's allocation to help support Microsoft word? I would assume this give flash less memory to play with and make the chances of GCOD occuring more likely?

Ive read various reports that their is maximum amount of memory that a browser will allocated to flash? Is that correct? So how come if that max is say... 300mb I can create a memory leak and watch my commited charge in task manager sow up way above 300mb before I eventually get the GCOD?

If/WHEN we take flash out of vb7 and publish as a AIR project will this make life easier for me regarding memory?

Thanks very

Aidan

• 97. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                        toughacrobats12 Level 1

Chris,

I am still experiencing this issue. I am running Flash Player 11.8, Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9. Any resolution to this grey circle of death? Thanks.

• 98. Re: Gray circle with white exclamation mark on white background
                                          jackmotel Level 1

Hi, we got it today. This is a Captivate published Flash eLearning module with mp4 videos. This appeared as a video was trying to load towards the end of about 15 minutes of previous video files loading.

2015-02-25 13.45.15.jpg

1 2 3 Previous Next