Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?

Guide ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Time to time I have to merge PDF pages (pages 2-3 to one doublesized page etc). I have always done that by printing multiple pages per sheet... in my case 2 pages per sheet, but instead of printing, I have saved my work as PDF.

Now I have upgraded to MacOS X 10.6 and that doesn´t work any more. If I try, I get warning "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported, use File>Save instead".

My problem is that there is no option "Save multiple pages per sheet"... so there´s no use to save it.... Is there some workarounds? I really need this feature and I can´t believe it has been taken away....

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

One work around would be to create a blank PDF document to the size that you need. So, if you want to combine two 8.5" x 11" PDFs into a 17" x 11" PDF, create a blank PDF measuring 17" x 11".

Then with your Blank PDF open, go to the "Document" menu and "Background" > "Add/Replace". For "Source" choose the page you want on the left and pick that PDF file setting the horizontal position at 0 from left.

Then go to the "Document" menu > "Watermark" > "Add". For "Source" choose the page you want on the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reburning pdf files has been frowned upon by Adobe for several years now. The changes in the pdf printing capabilities were required by Snow Leopard's internal architecture changes. Adobe had no control. The best way to do what you want is through a neat utility I have used for years, Quite Imposing, www.quite.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really so that there is no tool for merging pages in Acrobat.... HUH, I can´t believe this is true....

Anyway, thanks to let me know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, duplicate info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One work around would be to create a blank PDF document to the size that you need. So, if you want to combine two 8.5" x 11" PDFs into a 17" x 11" PDF, create a blank PDF measuring 17" x 11".

Then with your Blank PDF open, go to the "Document" menu and "Background" > "Add/Replace". For "Source" choose the page you want on the left and pick that PDF file setting the horizontal position at 0 from left.

Then go to the "Document" menu > "Watermark" > "Add". For "Source" choose the page you want on the right and pick that PDF file setting the horizontal position at 0 from right. Make sure you set the opacity and scale to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

i used to print into one single pdf multiple pages (like tiles of 16,32 or 64 pages) into one single poster size file. i cannot do that anymore so was wondering if any of you have found a workaround or a tip or tool to do this in an automated way?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I spent a day trying to concatenate two half pages into one to no avail until I saw this 12-year solution here. Merci beaucoup, grazie mille, vielen Dank, muchas gracias, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has decided to make Acrobat an usless program that is only interesting to amatures that have no experience doing professional work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this helps! I've been back and forth trying to figure this out myself, and now I may have an answer!!!

I put a tutorial video to see visually!! I'll do my best to give step by step!

I am using a Macbook Pro 2.33ghz. Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.0.3

Click the Video to see how it's done on vimeo. You can also download it from my vimeo site!

http://vimeo.com/24737092

1. In Adobe Acrobat go to "Combine Files into PDF"

2. Select the 2 files you want.

3. You will see that the 2 files are seperate and you want them to be together as one page. To do this>

Click "View>Page Display>Two Page View"

Boom, you see it's landscape, and they look to be on one page. BUT it's still 2 pages!! Hence in Two Page View.

4. Make sure you zoom out to see the edges of the pages. Make sure your tool bars and page drop down menus are hidden and not showing. You want to just see the landcape files side by side.

5. Go to "File>Create>PDF From Screen Capture"

This will than duplicate your screen and you will see another window of your work.

6. Now drop down from the left your "Tool" bar and click "CROP" tool

Crop the 2 landscaped files.

Once selected hit "ENTER" on your keyboard. This will than crop your file.

7. Go to "FILE" and save your work as a pdf.

You have now created 2 files into one page.

Once you have created the 2 page merge, you than take your final PDF and Combine Files into PDF allowing you to save your work as one PDF.

In my case it was a magazine file I needed to create. Didin't want each page to be one page at a time. Needed them to be combined as you can see in my tutorial!!

Thanks for looking and hope this helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another way which involves a bit of work, but it leaves the combined pdf editable (allowing that you only have Acrobat Pro).

Combine the pdfs as Steve described.

1. Using the Crop pages tool (Advanced > Print Production > Crop Pages), click the page and when the box comes up, select 'Change page size' and choose any page size that is at least twice as big. The page will probably not be the aspect you want - may be portrait instead of landscape.

2. Using the 'Touch up Object Tool' (Tools > Advanced Editing > Touch Up Object Tool) drag the marquee around your 1st page artwork, copy it, delete the artwork and rotate the page to horizontal aspect. Then paste the artwork back. Drag a horizontal rule down to line up the top of the artwork.

3. Go to your second page and using the same Touch Up Object Tool, copy the second page artwork and return to the first (enlarged) page and paste.

4. Drag the artwork into line, using the arrow keys to nudge into place, and crop page as desired.

Thanks for posing the question, there are probably heaps of ways to do it using Acrobat alone, but this is the only one I could come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Open your original file in the application Preview

2) "Print to PDF" (pulldown menu in bottom left of print dialog window) with 2 pages per sheet just as you did before updating your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Kahr's solution is the easiest and most effective!!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Kahr's method is truly the best I've found online for Mac users. 

Expanded for Yosemite:

1. Open PDF in Preview

2. Click File>Print

3. Select LAYOUT in the drop down box just below the orientation options

4. Adjust your "pages per sheet" until you have what you want

5. Select Save as PDF from the PDF drop down box in the lower lefthand corner

Viola!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these settings for Mac? I'm not seeing Layout or Save as on Win 7.   I can do File>Print and change page setup for two pages per sheet ( 2 by 1)  I adjusted paper size and then Print to PDF.  It works - kind of.  Problem is I'm getting white border even though I cleared Print Page Border option.  Maybe it's scaling the two original pages down?  Why isn't original content filling the sheet with no white borders? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not going to like my answer but if you own Adobe Pro, you likely own a copy of MS Office for Mac or Windows.  The best and easiest option that allowed a seamless merger of a two letter or legal size documents into a singe tabloid or any size document, was to use powerpoint.  MS Powerpoint allowed me to copy/paste each of the letter sized scanned images onto one sheet, resize the documents, join the boarders and print the document as one full landscape document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DUDE! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! Thank you for sharing that!

I have tried so many pain in the sss work arounds!  This was pretty close to perfect!!!

I'd like the option to choose  2 across and 3 down or 4 x 2, but this is better than nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sooo glad I found this discussion! I am inventing something new, "suuure!" you say. Well, in this song I have added "artwork" that is the 4 page sheet music score! I see with current Preview application I can get up to 16 pages in the 1 image!

The next trick will be how does someone without iTunes get the image. Thanks ever so much to Adobe, you all, and the internet for this ability to learn, ask and share! Any suggestions how to help people get the image back out of this file?

http://webpageexperience.com/process/AbbeFranzLisztConsolation3-160125.mp3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this! However, you might need Acrobat Pro to do this...

1) Open your PDF (in Adobe Acrobat Pro)

2) Chose print

The print/printer options pop-up will show.

3) In the printer section, do not use your normal printer, a printer named Adobe PDF should be an option. Chose it.

4) Under the "Page handling" section, change the Page Scaling drop-down menu to "Multiple pages per sheet".

Voila....

I tried it with a document with over 100 pages and it only takes a few minutes for the conversion to take place, but it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, but it looses all of the font information and the search no longer works. How can you do it savint the font info so the search tool continues to operate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating the new combined PDF, open it in Acrobat, go to Tools, and select Text Recognition/In This File. Not only will it add the text recognition, it will also straighten your image if it happens to be crooked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a powerful plugin called Quite Imposing that does easily this (and many other tricks related to pages manipulation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you repeat a 5 years old answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To let people know that it is still the easiest way to do it, after trying some of the advice given here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Quite Imposing is just under US$500, I think its not for the casual user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines