• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reading Illustrator files without Illustrator installed (Mac)

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

My company has a problem, we recently aquired all of the artwork ever done for us, but many of the files were not saved with "PDF Compatiability" or what not, so they can not be previewed without Illistrator. Is there any software that can be used to view these files for cheaper than $500? We just want to see them to be able to name and archive them. If not, anyone know of a cheap place to pick up an older version? We only have one mac, its a G4 so CS5 wont work (I think, from what I have read it only works on intels). Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have InDesign? Photoshop? Premiere? After Effects? They can open .AI files -- at least enough for your to view them.

Maybe even Adobe PageMaker? Not sure about the Acrobat Pro app reading AI files. I know Acrobat Reader cannot. But I assume any relatively recent Adobe app will be able to view AI files.

Oh, i know -- BRIDGE! You gotta have Adobe Bridge, right?

Also, you can download a 30 day demo of any of the Creative Suites.  That'll let you at least view your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge can't view files without PDF compatibility.

Were the files created in CS5? Then you won't be able to view them in lower versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge can't view files without PDF compatibility.

Yes it can. I have got dozens of files saved without pdf compatibility and constantly use Bridge to see what is what.

To save disc space I never check pdf compatibility unless I specifically want to link Illie files into other artwork/applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why nt just buy the windows version of the Illustrator?

It will open the fies even if they were created on the Mac. The files themselves work on both platforms regardless of whatplatform they were created in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI's file format is proprietary and undocumented (to the public, that is). Therefore nobody could create a viewer or whatever. However, CorelDraw claims they are able to read such files as they seem to have reverse-engineered everything. That's your only glimemr of hope outside the Adobe universe. All other apps only support the legacy AI 88 format, which is a whole different beast entirely... The rest of the answers you already got - you wil ldefinitely need some version of AI, at least for a while. If bouying is not an option, consider a subscription...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen some Corel Draw X5 conversions of one of my files and those look pretty good. Draw X5 can read Illustrator CS4. Of course there are still objects that just can't be converted to corresponding Corel Draw objects, but anything simple should work, even meshes. I wouldn't rely on text being exactly the same layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for all the help! I am looking into Corel now, SneakPeek pro only works with PDFed files, and is meant to show you what the file look like while browsing in the "Open" dialog box (I believe)

I found out today that all of the files were made in CS3 (Yea for outsourcing to Canada? ) so that may make things easier. ANyone know where I can snag CS3 for a good price?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could try the Adobe CS subscription plan:  http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/cssubscription.html

$45/month for Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you just Place them in another application (something you might have, like Microsoft Word)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can - but after I ok them I need to attach and send to my printer and the AI file attachment automatically converts it to word! Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

why not get a free trial of CC and resave your documents. you can even automate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the .ai file extension to .pdf and open the file in Adobe Reader. Even layers are supported. I just checked in Adobe Reader XI (version 11.0).

open adobe illustrator files with adobe reader | noah little

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only works if the Illustrator file was saved with PDF content, otherwise you get this message:

This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was

saved without PDF Content.

To Place or open this le in other

applications, it should be re-saved from

Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF

Compatible File" option turned on. This

option is in the Illustrator Native Format

Options dialog box, which appears when

saving an Adobe Illustrator le using the

Save As command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t work, dotnet, why didn’t you try it?

Files need pdf compatibility to be readable in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me....  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my transcript today for my question, "How to view AI files without Illustrator"

Adobe: I am check your querry, in the meantime please tell me the version and Operating system you are using

Me: CC windows 7, some are on 8

Adobe: is it Cc2015?

Me: Yes, we subscribe monthly to you so assuming we have most current

Adobe: For that you have to create a link and share it with your team

Me: Sales get sent files and want to view them so they can advise on cost. I may not see the file before them

Adobe: you could create copy PDF file and can see that

Rename [filename].ai to [filename].pdf — the file can then be opened with a PDF viewer like Adobe Reader. This is a great option is you just need to view the content.

Me: That's only if it's encrypted with PDF Compatibility, as per your forum

Adobe: We do not have that from adobe but there are many online if you want, you can check on goolge

So, sorry, they offer no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

debbyt44690327 schrieb:

So, sorry, they offer no help.

Well if you save your files without PDF compatibility, then there is no help for you. Your files then can only be viewed by Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the creators have CC they can share the file using the Creative Cloud.

Even if the file is saved without PDF compatibility it can be viewed online.

Edit: there seem to be limitations, placed images or rasterised objects are not displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the file to view it in Photoshop but it will rasterize it so you will not be able to change individual elements of them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is really late, but hopefully it will help others who have the same question. A great (and free) solution is Google Drive. I save all my ai files there, and they are viewable without any conversion; at least at the time of this post (06 October 2016). I just log into drive, click on the file and it is available.

Below is a screenshot of one of my ai files.

Screenshot 2016-10-06 at 17.42.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this doesn't work for files saved without PDF compatibility either -- that was the actual topic question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines