Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encrypt / Decrypt help

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

In the past, I always used HASH to encrypt the password for users; all I needed to do was to check the HASHed value from login and compare to what is in the db - simple.

Now I have a client that would like to add a password retrieval system to the site. I'm having difficulties with the values never being the same. Originally I tried encrypting with BLOWFISH, but that didn't work for decrypt. Here is the code I have, so far:
APPLICATION.CFM:
<cfset request.cryptAlgorithm = "DESEDE">
<cfset request.cryptEncoding = "HEX">
<cfset request.cryptKey = GenerateSecretKey(request.cryptAlgorithm)>
<cfset request.cryptPhrase = "Eightcha">

LOGINACTION.CFM
<cfset session.user.password = URLEncodedFormat(Encrypt("#trim(form.password)#", request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)) />
<cfset session.user.SQLpassword = trim(replace(session.user.password,"'","''","all")) />
<cfquery name="checkLogin" dbtype="odbc" datasource="#request.data_source#">
EXEC check_login @Deleted User='#trim(session.user.username)#', @pw='#trim(session.user.SQLpassword)#'
</cfquery>
<cfdump var="#checkLogin#"><cfabort>

I'm dumping the results of the query and aborting to view the values; the password is always changing. How can I keep the value always the same?

Thanks,

^_^

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2007 Oct 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it without the URLEncodedFormat around form,password?

It doesn't seem necessary if the 'password' is coming from the form scope, and will actually change a string if the password contains certain characters, see the attached code (CF8).

Also, is the database doing any sort of encrypt/decrypt functionality? If so, might want to check if the two match up in a kind of similar way to the code attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it both with and without the URLEncodedFormat(); with and without defining the algorithm, the encoding; the same result every time - every click of the submit button dumps the query result (including the query, itself) and shows that the encrypted password value is never the same, twice. I'll include three results, here:

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='0JD%2FDM%5C%3EH%25H%3AQ%20BI%5C%3CN3%3F%20P%20%20%0A'

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='02M%3A%27NC%5BGH%3D75CSV%25VHF%2FBP%20%20%0A'

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='0J%3D%2DDGS%3A%25%2C%21DR%3A%21%27O%2CWU4%3B%40%20%20%0A'

Now without the URLEncodedFormat():

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='0E Y,/@2L^K"^ZGA(W00W@@'

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='0F@;IP0''7K<I6,1?*I,MS/@'

EXEC check_login @un='administrator', @pw='0/%EVXY@T&Y0?Y_7O#@YXG@'

If you are familiar with proper encrypt/decrypt usage, could you please post some sample code? I tried following the example in livedocs and that isn't working, either.

Thanks,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the secretKey is changing on every request. When the key changes, the encrypted value changes. To get the same encrypted value you must use the same key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: cf_dev2

It looks like the secretKey is changing on every request. When the key changes, the encrypted value changes. To get the same encrypted value you must use the same key.

That's what I thought. Originally I had used
quote:

Encrypt("#form.password#","8charkey","BLOWFISH")
to encrypt, but couldn't get it to DEcrypt from that. Kept getting an error that the input and output do not match. Do you know how to decrypt from the above encrypt?

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same concept. But again decrypt won't work if you're not using the same key that was used to encrypt the string.

<cfset cryptAlgorithm = "BLOWFISH">
<cfset cryptKey = GenerateSecretKey(cryptAlgorithm)>
<cfset form.password = "mypassword">

<cfset encryptedPassword = Encrypt(form.password, cryptKey, cryptAlgorithm)>
<cfset decryptedPassword = Decrypt(encryptedPassword, cryptKey, cryptAlgorithm)>

<cfoutput>
Form.Password = #form.password#<hr>
Encrypted = #encryptedPassword#<hr>
Decrypted = #decryptedPassword#<hr>
</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be server related? MS Windows Server 2003 and CF8.

OR could trim() be affecting this?

application.cfm

<cfset request.cryptAlgorithm = "BLOWFISH">

loginaction.cfm

<cfset session.user.username = trim(form.username) />
<cfset session.user.password = Encrypt(trim(form.password), request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm) />
<cfset session.user.SQLpassword = session.user.password />
EXEC check_login @un='#session.user.username#', @pw='#trim(session.user.SQLpassword)#'
</cfquery>

I'm still getting the same result; different output each time.

@pw='08!4[BP%=M!</[JW)/TF! P'

@pw='0C4X\TE.DZKG62]?''F-7ZD@'

@pw='0P8%&LU##?L:%Q("7Q4M2.@'

?
^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'm still getting the same result; different output each time.

You're still changing the secretKey on every request. Different key == different encrypted string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So GenerateSecretKey() gives a different output each time it's run. Do I *have* to use GenerateSecretKey() in order to decrypt?

I get the following when trying to decrypt:
An error occurred while trying to encrypt or decrypt your input string: The input and output encodings are not same..

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So GenerateSecretKey() gives a different output each time it's run.

Yes

> Do I *have* to use GenerateSecretKey() in order to decrypt?

When you a key to Encrypt(), then yes you must use that same key to Decrypt(). Note, that doesn't mean calling GenerateSecretKey() inside Decrypt(). It means saving the key value and passing the saved key to Decrypt().

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You don't have to use a key at all.

Scratch that. If you don't use a key I think it will default to CFMX_COMPAT, which is not what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NO idea what just happened. The first time I tried encrypting and decrypting without using GenerateSecretKey() it errored. Now it's not.

%^/

I'm not going to question it. I'm just going to accept it. I will keep telling myself, "It doesn't matter, it works. It doesn't matter, it works."

Thanks for your help. Feel bad about wasting your time, like that.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, I have no idea what your stored procedure is doing :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. See my last comment. If you don't use a key I think CF uses CFMX_COMPAT which is not the same as BLOWFISH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just it. I am using a key, and using BLOWFISH. Why it's working, now, I don't know; but it wasn't, before.

application.cfm
<cfset request.cryptAlgorithm = "BLOWFISH" />
<cfset request.cryptKey = "16characterskey1" />

loginaction.cfm
<cfset session.user.password = Encrypt(trim(form.password), request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm) />
EXEC check_login @un='#session.user.username#', @pw='#trim(session.user.SQLpassword)#'
</cfquery>
<cfoutput>password is #Decrypt(session.user.SQLpassword, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#</cfoutput>

I'm stumped, but not questioning it. It is working, now. (shrug) Without GenerateSecretKey().

Thanks,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.. I spoke too soon. It works ON THAT PAGE. As soon as I attempt to decrypt on another page after pulling the password from the database, it errors.

An error occurred while trying to encrypt or decrypt your input string: The input and output encodings are not same..

<cfoutput>Password for this account is #Decrypt(getAdmin.userPW, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#</cfoutput>

AFAIK, the database isn't changing anything and the datatype is nvarchar(100). Any idea as to what I'm missing, this time?

^_^

PS. This is CF8. I don't need to escape the apostrophe for a stored procedure, anymore, do I? Could that be it?

Nope.. that's not it.. I forgot I already removed that from the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would recommend creating an example that strips the code to its simplest form (ie. no trim(), urlencodedformat(), etc.) Just to ensure you haven't inadvertently changed the values somehow.

Next, what about dacf's suggestion? Did you output the two values and see if they're different? ie. output the encrypted CF string and the string from your database query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.. here's what I've got, currently:
STORED PROCEDURE:
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.check_login
@un nvarchar(50),
@pw nvarchar(100)
AS

DECLARE @statusCode int
SET @statusCode='0'
IF EXISTS (
SELECT [adminID]
FROM [cpwr_org_01].[dbo].[cpwr_admin_users]
WHERE [userName] = @un AND [userPW] = @pw
)
BEGIN
SET @statusCode='1'

SELECT [adminID], [firstName], [lastName], [userName], [userLevel], [datecreated], [lastLogin], [isActive], @statusCode as statusCode, [userPW]
WHERE [userName] = @un AND [userPW] = @pw AND [isActive] = 1
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SELECT @statusCode as statusCode
END

IF (@statusCode = '1')
BEGIN

UPDATE [cpwr_org_01].[dbo].[cpwr_admin_users]
SET [lastLogin] = getdate()
WHERE [userName] = @un AND [userPW] = @pw

END
GO

APPLICATION.CFM
<cfset request.cryptAlgorithm = "BLOWFISH" />
<cfset request.cryptKey = "8charkey" />

LOGINACTION.CFM
EXEC cpwr_adm_check_login @un='#session.user.username#', @pw='#trim(session.user.SQLpassword)#'
</cfquery>
direct encrypted pw is <cfdump var="#session.user.SQLpassword#"><br>
db retrieved pw is <cfdump var="#checkLogin.userPW#">

This is what displays when I run the page:
direct encrypted pw is 0L42&E!R11!?XN3Z#X#$J;
db retrieved pw is 0L42&E!R11!?XN3Z#X#$J;

According to this, they are identical. But when I run the other page that attempts to decrypt, I get this:
72: Password for this account is #Decrypt(getAdmin.userPW, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#

STORED PROCEDURE:
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.get_admin_edit
@adminID int
AS

SELECT [adminID], [firstName], [lastName], [userName], [userPW], [userLevel], [datecreated], [lastLogin], [isActive], [userEmail]
WHERE adminID = @adminID
GO

EDIT PAGE:
Password for this account is #Decrypt(getAdmin.userPW, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> strips the code to its simplest form (ie. no trim(), urlencodedformat(), etc
> @pw='#trim(session.user.SQLpassword)#'

It looks like you've still got some excess code in there (ie trim() calls) and I think that's what's messing you up. Try removing the trim() calls.

Generally speaking, once you encrypt the value, you don't want to change the encrypted string in any way because encrypt/decrypt are extremely sensitive.

> According to this, they are identical.
Looks can be deceiving 😉 You can always use compare() to verify that two strings actually are identical.

Btw, why are you using CFQUERY to run your stored procedures instead of CFSTOREDPROC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFQ vs CFSP - (shrug) Habit, really, I guess. When I first started learning CF in 2000, I just used CFQ and never got around to using CFSP.

I'll remove the trim(), but I'm paranoid about that. I've always trimmed the strings prior to db insert; and I always use trim() when displaying. I've had too many times where a comparison didn't match because of a lack of trim().

I'll also try the compare to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the idea.

WITHOUT the trim, the query is adding a space to the end of the encrypted string. I didn't think blank spaces were valid encryption code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay.

Yes, I agree with you that values should be trimmed. But assuming you've used Encrypt(trim(form.password),...) there's no need to use trim() again on the encrypted string. Its probably changing the value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without trim(), it's throwing a blank space on the end of the encrypted password being submitted by the form. Even if I add the " " to the end of the password in the database, it still comes back as user doesn't exist. Since the user doesn't exist, it's not returning the password for compare() to check. 😞

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if its a literal space but if that's how the value is encrypted, its fine. Just leave the string as is. Decrypt will handle it. In other words, once you've called encrypt() don't change the value in any way. I tried a quick test and it worked fine for me, so I suspect trim() might be the source of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have removed the trim() from anywhere outside the Encrypt() tag for password.

EXEC cpwr_adm_check_login @un='#session.user.username#', @pw='#session.user.password#'
</cfquery>
<cfdump var="#checkLogin#">
direct encrypted pw is <cfdump var="#session.user.SQLpassword#"><br>
db retrieved pw is <cfdump var="#checkLogin.userPW#"> <-- Error here, no records returned because no match
<cfoutput>
direct password is #Decrypt(session.user.SQLpassword, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#
database password is #Decrypt(checkLogin.userPW, request.cryptKey, request.cryptAlgorithm)#
Comparison = #compare(session.user.SQLpassword,checkLogin.userPW)#

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about when the password is first inserted? Try it with a completely new password.

In my tests it seems to be working fine every time. So maybe the existing values were stored incorrectly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation