Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a large HTML file

Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution, of course, is to split up a large HTML file into smaller pages. But I wonder whether the error was down to RoboHelp or my system setup.

The large HTML file is 470KB, extracted from a database table.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution to what? Presumably a post in another thread.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution to the problem of not being able to import a large HTML file into RoboHelp. I was just making an observation with my earlier post.

After extracting the data I needed from a database, converting the CSV-formatted output to XML, then converting the XML to HTML, it was rather disappointing when RoboHelp died trying to import the HTML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point was that if you are posting something that relates to a specific thread, then it should be added to that rather than creating a new post where people cannot see the context.

When you update a thread, it gets bumped to the top of the web page so people will see it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, dan205 was providing a solution to the problem described in his Topic Title and Topic Summary.

A cute contrivance, but perhaps a bit off-putting...

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Um, excuse me, please, I have a question:

What is the problem when importing a large html file, other than it takes longer than importing a smaller file?

I just imported a 518 KB file successfully.

It did take some time. After I clicked "Open," RH spent about a minute analyzing the file, checking for associated pieces (.jpg, .css) that existed in the project , and asking whether I wanted to overwrite them.
After I clicked OK, it took another minute or two to import the file and to show the Results dialog.

Then RH had to open the file. This took the longest time, as I would expect for a 500-plus KB file consisting of several long tables with four columns and nearly every entry in column 1 linked to another file. That was another three or four minutes.

Before I came to accept this, I, too, concluded RH was choking and crashing until I decided to stop watching RH work on tough tasks. It's a nice break for catching up on email, walking off some tension, refilling the water mug, and so on.

When you're in doubt, open the Windows Task Manager and watch the Performance indicator peaking and crawling across the window. At least it's a little more interesting than watching RH seem to do nothing. Maybe not so cool as watching haircuts, even though I admit to staring at the squiggly green line from time to time.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp