Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import - missing characters

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have 2 issues with importing text to captivate 8.

If I import text from word document into captivate 8 that contains dashes and bullet points, these characters are missing after import. Where there should be dashes and bullet points there are just double spaces. Any idea why this happens and how to fix it?

I cannot import text via XML. I was just testing this function if it would solve my missing characters problem but when i try to import any XML i get error "Cannot Import XML" and no further details why. I even tried exporting XML, changing just one word in content. Same result. Even if I export XML and try to import it right back without any changes i get the same error.

Thanks for any advice,

Martin

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

How exactly are you "importing text"? I'm not aware of any import function for Word documents.

As for the XML, that function is for people that need to export XML to send the text to a translator. I believe the format is XLIFF. The translator translates and sends back the modified XML file and you import that back into the project to influence changes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

thanks for the quick response.

By importing text from word i meant I exported the captivate project by File ->Export -> Project Captions and Closed Captions… which gives you double column word document. I sent the document to translator. Then I Imported the translated word document by File ->Import -> Project Captions and Closed Captions… So far i have worked on 4 different languages and all of them were missing the dashes and bullet points after importing, so i guess it is not language-specific problem.

Regarding the XML, thats what i am trying to do, send it to translator. I followed the steps in this help article Adobe Captivate Help | Import, export, and delete content

In the step 6 of exporting it says to translate the text inside of the tags. So I copy-pasted translated texts over the original source english texts. Then I tried to import this "translated" XML file back with "cannot import XML" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is a very old thread but I just wanted to add that if I copy and paste in text that contains hypens, en dashes, or em dashes into a closed caption field in Captivate 2019 then those characters are automaitically removed when I save the caption file. I cannot get ANY of the dash characters to display. I am using Arial as my caption font so I know those glyphs are available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources