• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My .chm file no longer compiles

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! My .chm file no longer compiles. RoboHelp thinks it is compiliing a file, but the result is 10 percent of the file size of previous versions and, of course, does not open. All other SSL's seem to work.

I am publishing to RoboEngine (WebHelp Pro) for the primary layout. I also maintain a test site using WebHelp and generate several printed layouts. I use the .chm as a backup of my project, per Rick Stone's advice (see Tips & Tricks, Backup Strategy). I have had no problems with the layout until last week.

Before you ask, yes I am storing and compiling all files on a local drive. I just copy the .chm to a network drive for backup and publish the remaining layouts to their respective web-homes.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for all your help. This is how I "resolved" the problem:
Make a copy of the project.
Delete the .cpd and .xpj files.
Open with the .hhp file.
Replace the conditional tags and ssl's per Peter's web site.
Close the project.
Open the .cpd file in Access.
Replace the negative numbers with positive numbers (mostly in See Also, Template, and Baggage File tables).
Close the .cpd file.
Open the project from the .xpj file. The project now works as expected.

I don't know why this works, but thoug...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried creating a new target folder, and maybe a new layout?

If that is not it, have you tried generating a webhelp output to a new target folder to check the full output is generated there?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried creating a new layout, new folder, and even publishing a to a new webhelp location. The webhelp version still works perfectly and the .chm file problem is still the same. RH goes through the motions of generating a .chm file, but I wind up with a useless file containing no information that won't open.
Now, I'm getting this error when I try to open:
"Cannot open the file mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program Files\..<chm file location>"
Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new single topic project and test that.

See if it is a project specific problem.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine in the new project--must be project-specific. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm not sure! :-)

At least though we know it is not an installation issue or something corrupt in the compiler so it is some progress.

Three things I would try next.

1] Open the HHP file in Notepad and see if you can see anything obvious there, a wrong path etc.

2] Take a copy of the project and trash the CPD and XPJ files. Open the project with the HHP file. Create a new HTML layout, not a copy, and try again. If it works, we can talk about what will need fixing.

3] Google the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, option 2 worked. At least I now have a backup of everything I've done through today. Do you know how I can fix the original, now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something corrupt in the underlying database. You could open a rename of copy of the CPD file to give it an MDB extension and open it in Microsoft Access and try to find the cause but you might also be wasting time.

Take a look at the topic on my site about Opening Projects and you will see I cover how to fix the things that this process will have lost.

Post back if any fallout questions arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now the new copy is also corrupt. And, when I recreate the project from the .hhp, I also lose the template and the See Also keywords.
Short of recreating the whole project, is there anything I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the new project worked for a while and then went corrupt with presumably the same message.

I don't know what else to suggest here other than repeating the same process, albeit with the issues to which you refer.

Try googling the message and also looking on www.helpware.net where there is a lot of CHM information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Peter's advice, have you tried compiling the CHM using Microsoft HTML Workshop. It may be worth a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for all your help. This is how I "resolved" the problem:
Make a copy of the project.
Delete the .cpd and .xpj files.
Open with the .hhp file.
Replace the conditional tags and ssl's per Peter's web site.
Close the project.
Open the .cpd file in Access.
Replace the negative numbers with positive numbers (mostly in See Also, Template, and Baggage File tables).
Close the .cpd file.
Open the project from the .xpj file. The project now works as expected.

I don't know why this works, but thought I'd post back for any other folks that may have similar issues (e.g., the disappearing See Also links & Templates when opening a project from .hhp file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp