• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Security updates for 11.2 Flash Player for Linux?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to download an update for 11.2 Flash Player for Linux, I saw the note saying that there would be no new development, but security backfixes would continue to be released. I've seen the security warnings for months on my Linux install in Firefox (which is updated) but there does not seem to be a security patch that would stop these "Allow - Continue Blocking" warnings for Flash Player.

When can we expect these to be completed? Linux users may not comprise a large portion of your user base, but the alternatives are extremely expensive hardware and/or software if you want to use an Apple or Microsoft product.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Hi Tim,

What's the complete version of Flash Player?  The latest Linux version is 11.2.202.442.  If you go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about there's a widget on the page that will display the version installed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

What Linux distro, Firefox version, and Flash Player version are you using?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I'm using Fedora 20, Firefox 36, and Flash Player 11.2.202.

Thanks,

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

What's the complete version of Flash Player?  The latest Linux version is 11.2.202.442.  If you go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about there's a widget on the page that will display the version installed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

Thanks -- I had .429 installed. I had downloaded the latest version but the rpm doesn't seem to have the minor version included, because yum said that the latest version was already installed. Once I removed the old one, installed the new one, and imported the GPG key and installed flash-player, then now it shows 442.

Is it possible to have the minor version revisions included in the rpm specfile, so we can perform an update rather than having to uninstall/reinstall? I'm glad to have a solution, but just curious if such an update is possible.

Thanks so much for the help!

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

Where did you download the RPM from?  The RPM downloaded from get.adobe.com/flashplayer has the full version number included in the file name (e.g. flash-plugin-11.2.202.442-release.x86_64.rpm for the 64-bit RPM).  For yum, you may need to run a yum check-update for it to check if an update is available.  Running yum install flash-plugin will display the version available for installation, if the version available is higher than what is installed. The http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ‌page is updated with new version numbers whenever there is a release (usually monthly).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chose "Yum for Linux" and the file that was downloaded was:

adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

I see now that if I select the "rpm for Other Linux" it downloads the flash-player rpm complete with the version info, so perhaps the Yum version is a wrapper. I assumed that since Fedora (and Redhat/etc) uses yum, that I should download the YUM version... in order for it to take effect, I had to perform the following commands after downloading the above rpm:

sudo yum remove adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch

sudo yum localinstall adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

sudo yum -y install flash-plugin

That allowed me to get the newer version of Flash player to show (and no longer receive the security warnings) but it seems if I had used the Other for Linux download that I wouldn't have had to take those extra steps. I guess we'll find out when the next security update to flash player is released.

Thanks,

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch is the repository that then enables installation/update/uninstall via YUM.  Since it's just the repository, installing it won't install Flash Player at the same time.  Unfortunately, the download page is not clear on this, and assumes the Linux user knows this.  Now that you have the repository installed you can use YUM to update Flash Player in the future.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification Maria. I've installed other packages that had repos inside an rpm, but for some reason that didn't dawn on me in this case... it all makes sense now, so I appreciate you explaining it. It's all good now!

Thanks!

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines