• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe RoboHelp 7 and the Adobe Technical Communication Suite have just been posted

Advisor ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, folks.
The long-awaited Adobe RoboHelp 7 and the Adobe Technical Communications Suite have just been posted on the Adobe website. There are 30-day Trial versions that can be downloaded here:
http://www.adobe.com/ap/products/robohelp/

Follow the link that says "Download the trial". After you sign in, you can download either the RoboHelp 7 standalone release, or the Technical Communications Suite which contains these integrated products: RoboHelp 7, FrameMaker 8, Adobe Captivate 3 and Acrobat 3D.

If you or members of your team use both RoboHelp and FrameMaker, I'd strongly advise you take a look at Tech Comm Suite. It's more than simply a "bundle:" of products. There is real integration among the apps. Here are details:
http://www.adobe.com/ap/products/technicalcommunicationsuite/

For some screenshots and information, check out Peter Grainge's website
http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/rh7.htm

I will also be posting some Adobe Captivate movies of the new interface on my website in the next day or two.
http://www.hypertexas.com

You can also read more on the Adobe Tech Comm Blog
http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/technical_communication/

These are exciting times. Two releases in one year! I don't think there's any doubt about Adobe's committment to RoboHelp now

Thanx,
John
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming this means the NDAs have finished now, can someone tell me if you can copy and paste individual table rows now? It's one of the annoying little things that's been bugging me for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. That's great news. But before I download any trials, I want to make sure I'm not going to screw up the projects that I'm working on. Especially since I can't guarantee -- until I test it and come up with a valid business case -- that my company will spring for the cost of upgrading my software.

(1) If you load a current (RH6) project into RH7, can you ever go back to RH6?
(2) If not, can you run RH6 and the trial of RH7 on the same machine? (not necessarily at the same time)

Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy,

I have just been trying this. I installed RH7 on the same machine with RH6 with no problems--it did point out that RH6 was installed, but that didn't stop the RH7 installation. I made copies of a few different projects to open in RH7. It warned me that to open in RH7, it had to upgrade the project, which would then not be compatible with earlier versions.

I actually did run RH6 and the RH7 trial simultaneously with different projects. The two versions can run simultaneously. (RH7 pointed out some broken links I didn't know about in a project, so I fixed them in my RH6 project.) I just did a right-click on the .xpj file and went to "Open With" to make sure I was opening each project with the right RH version.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy. First off it is "recommended" that you do not have the trial version on your production PC. Secondly you can load a RH6 project into RH7. Just make sure you have a backup. Can you go backwards? Well technically yes, if you delete the .CPD file, but why would you want to. Just be careful of RH7 specific features which will not work in RH6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't exactly have two computers (i.e., production and non-production PCs) here at work, but I suppose I could download the trial at home. The reason I don't want to convert my RH6 projects just yet is if my company doesn't spring for the upgrade. Though I suppose I if "accidentally" converted my projects, they'd be forced to pay for upgrade, wouldn't they?!

It sounds like Benjamin's solution will work, especially if the s/w warns you when you open an RH6 project in RH7.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be very wary of running the same project in two versions.

1] Once you have opened something in 7, you cannot use the CPD in 6. You have to open the project using the HHP and that loses certain things.

2] Your code gets completely rewritten on upgrading to 7. It's early days to be sure that doesn't cause problems if you revert to an earlier version.

3] Dual installs are really intended for contractors who need different versions for different clients. The difference there is that they are dealing with different projects in the different versions.

4] If you want both versions, you are not eligible for the upgrade price. The upgrade from 6 to 7 is minimal cost.

Tread carefully and take backups.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I looked at was the upgrade price, which is I think is pretty reasonable. I may not have made it clear in my other post that I installed the RH7 trial with RH6 still installed. I'm pretty sure management will spring for an upgrade, and I don't intend to use RH6 simultaneously at that point--only while I'm doing the trial.

The main thing I'm checking out is the double-byte character support. One complaint I have there is that in HTML view, Japanese characters are showing as squares. If I open the same topic file in Notepad, the Japanese characters show up there, so I know RH7 isn't really messing up the characters, it's just not displaying them in HTML view. This still makes it difficult to manipulate Japanese text in HTML view. Does anyone know if there is a way for these characters to display in HTML view properly? Should I start a different post? Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be worth starting a separate post on the Japanese character issue.

I get the same issue with the sample Customer Care project but I believe John Daigle sees the Japanese characters in the WYSIWYG editor as well.

Start a new post and we'll take it from there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I know a new thread has been suggested, but I'm wondering if the answer to this is as simple as assigning the proper encoding (character set) in the topic?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John and I were looking at the same topic. If it worked for him, shouldn't it work for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the new thread here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like RH6 projects will automatically upgrade to RH7 upon opening. Is this true also for RH5 projects?

Kevin Elmore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they do Kevin. Download a trial version, take some backups and have a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also testing the trial TCS at the moment. I'm currently having problems getting cross references in FM to map into RH properly as hyperlinks. If one has a bulleted list of cross references the way in which these map into RH7 [enhanced] is not consistent. Some are hyperlinks some are not. I'm using import by reference here. Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using cross references and so far haven't had problems getting them to map into RH properly... mine have been all paragraph type cross references and right now I'm working on a simple book. Are you adding your Framemaker files as a book or as individual files? What do you mean by "not consistent"? Do you have an example?

~Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda,
I am adding a book by reference. As far as the xrefs go, if one of the chapters in my book has a list of paragraph cross references at the start i.e this chapter contains the following sections. I then have heading only type cross references which are all formatted the same in framemaker each one pointing to a heading and using paragraph not cross reference marker. when these are imported into robohelp as part of the book, not all of these are hyperlinks depsite the fact that all were the same in framemaker...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2007 Nov 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I think I have solved the cross reference problem. When I created the material to test I had copied and pasted direct from one of my chm help files into framemaker. I think this have pasted extra code or something across. When I re-tested with "clean framemaker" source all cross references seem to come across ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp