Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 7 Install "Rolling back action"

Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had this happen yet? I've installed the trial version of RH 7, just when the progress bar gets to the end, it rolls back the action. I can see it actually installing, places the icons on the desktop, only to remove everything after it gets to the end. When it finally uninstalls it, I get the an alert box that says "The wizard was interrupted before Adobe Robohelp 7 could be completely installed." I've tried this numerous times, w/o RH 6 on the machine, cleaning up the registry... I've followed two generic resolutions from the Knowledgebase with no luck. I was able to install it on an older Compaq laptop without any problems.

I have a Dell Latitude D820, with 1 gig of memory, over 30 gigs of disk space...

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007
First, thanks everyone for your help. I received an answer back from Adobe Technical Support and the following worked! I had previously tried all recommendations listed below except I didn't have the "Clean Script" which seemed to be the magic bullet for me.The link provided will uninstall ALL Adobe products. Remember to make sure you have your serial numbers before you run the script:

Set the values of TEMP and TMP so that it’s exactly the same.
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Propert...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Is your laptop going to sleep after x minutes? Check your power saving settings.

It shouldn't shut down the processor while it's running the installation, one would think. But just maybe . . .

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have watched the install through it's entirety several times, so doesn't appear to power down during those times. My settings are "Always On" while plugged in too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it with your firewall turned off? This may be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum, I just tried it and no luck. It was one thing I hadn't tried yet and did seem promising. I wish the event viewer gave a little more information as to why it doesn't complete the installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan. Do you/did you have a copy of a previous version on the PC? If so, maybe this knowledge base article may help in ensuring the old version has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, thanks for the quick reply. I originally installed RH 6 from a disk. Two months ago my laptop crashed while on the road and I re-downloaded RH6 from ESD. No install problems with either of those. I read the articles you linked to and followed them as described but still get the same rollback. Some of the final messages before rolling back, are "Registering product, Publishing products, Publishing info." It goes fairly quickly so not sure if that's the exact message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the RH7 download file is corrupted somehow? Could you try downloading again and giving that a go? Not sure what else to suggest as others have no problem installing RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are two things that you can try.

Step 1:
As suggested by Colum, download a fresh build of Adobe RoboHelp 7 from the Adobe website and give it a try. In case this fails, try step 2.

Step 2:
This may happen because of wrong msi file in C:\WINDOWS\Installer folder.
<to view C:\WINDOWS\Installer , please enable view hidden files and folder in explorer>

One workaround that might solve the problem is:
Explore to C:\WINDOWS\Installer folder
You may find multiple msi files in this folder.
Check for the file that corresponds to Adobe RoboHelp. You can do that by double clicking the msi file. A welcome screen generally comes up giving information about the product etc.
Delete this msi that corresponds to the Adobe RoboHelp 7 installer.
Run your original msi or setup.exe and install the application.
Hopefully you should be able to install and run the application.

Regards,
Akshay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

What is the name, size and date stamp of the file that you downloaded ?
Do you any other Adobe Products installed on your PC?
Are you opting to install all elements of the trial version?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,
file name is AdobeRobohelp7_WWEFGJ.exe
file size is 434,514,024 bytes
date is Oct 25th, 8:04 pm
I'll re-download as you and Colum recommended and, if no luck, try Akshay's suggestion.

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've deleted the old package from the 25th as well as the files it had unpackaged. I also looked for the msi file that Akshay recommended but couldn't find it in the "installer" or "installshield" folder in c:/windows. I rebooted and attempted to reinstall with the same rollback action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan A

I'm not sure if what I'm about to post will help any, but here goes. We saw a similar thing happen when Captivate 3 arrived. Someone named Greg posted the following info that seemed to work for him. Hopefully it will help here.

=====> Snip <=====
Hi everyone - after trying for two weeks to get v3 to install, we finally got it working this past Friday. When we would try to install it on two of our machines, it would get to the end of the install process as though it had completed successfully, and then would give the message "Rolling Back Action", uninstall everything, and then leave a message that "Installation was Interrupted...". We tried on two machines at least 10 times each, cleaned out registry keys for Captivate 1 and 2, ran diagnostics, etc, and got the same action everytime.
One of our IT guys said that he had encountered the same exact issue when installing QuickBooks on one of our Finance dept's PC's, and sure enough, the solution he used for it worked for Captivate 3:
1) Log out
2) Log in as administrator
3) Turn off any scripting
4) Turn ON the Windows Firewall
5) Install Captivate and enter serial number
6) Reboot - log back in as admin
7) Turn back on any scripting
8) Log out admin and back in as user
I won't even pretend to be 100% certain why this worked, but it did without a hitch on both PC's where previous attempts had failed. I spent over 2 hours on hold with Adobe "Tech Support", only to find out that they didn't have a clue what was happening with this. Just another example of how anti-pirating measures penalize paying customers while those using unauthorized copies are unaffected .
Greg
=====> End Snip <=====

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for your reponse. I just tried everything as described from your post but can't get to the point of entering a serial number. I am at such a loss with this. Does anyone know Installshield have some sort of an event viewer perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't ask for the serial number until you launch the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, can't seem to get that far in either case. Thanks for everyones help. Not sure what else to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i start the program, i can't get past the serial screen here... No option to try the software for 30 days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max, are you able to get to the point where it allows you to enter serial numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened a trouble ticket and have since found this from my temp folder:

amtconfig STARTED
payload is a driver
path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\AMT\application.xml
payload: {7961C367-4C84-4B42-8642-3B3B021B5B8E}
driver: {7961C367-4C84-4B42-8642-3B3B021B5B8E}
override: C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Desktop\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHelp\
Master PCD not writable
Can anyone tell me if this is a bug related to licensing?

Thanks, Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI, I have changed permissions on the Temp folder from the "Read Only" state but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some more information in order to help you:

1.Is Pcd.db getting created? Do you get to see this file?
PCD File Location: ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Adobe\PCD\Pcd.db
2. If yes, what are your log in permissions on this machine
3. Also, it would be great if you could mail me the AMT.log file in the system temp folder (%temp%) to amadan@adobe.com

Thanks,
Akshay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dan -

Seeing as this thread has been going on for a while, I'll take a GUESS at it...this is a guess only!

GUESS ONLY -

You have a nice laptop there - I'll guess it has MS Vista as the OS.

I'll also guess your company enabled the Wave Embassy Trust Suite security software.

I'll guess that you MAY have the Not Tested For Security (NTFS) hard drive encripted.

I'll guess your company enabled the TPM feature in the BIOS.

Now then, Vista on your Dell MAY use the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) services. This assumes that trusted mechanisms are being used to boot and run the platform. It is important to remember that the Tusted Computing Group has explicitly stated in its specifications that using the TPM is not mandatory. Users take advantage of the TPM and Windows Vista TPM services on an opt-in basis. This means if the user of the platform wants her system to load just like PCs have loaded in the past—where no trust assurance is provided—she can do that. She can leave the TPM disabled in the BIOS, and not take advantage of TPM functionality.

As you can see, Vista, TPM hardware and Wave software, not to mention various anti-virus programs, all combine to protect you from potentially dangerous actions. One of those actions is writing to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive.

Note that all Adobe software, including RoboHelp, write to the Master Boot Record as part of the installation routine. Some AV programs as well as TPM settings COULD view this as a direct threat and not allow it. Thus when Vista sees RoboHelp trying to write to the MBR, it initiates the rollback feature to restore your system to the pre-installation-routine state.

What to do? Have your IT folks log in as Admin and:

First, disable the TPM in the BOIS.
Second, disable the Wave Embassy Trust Suite.
Third, turn off all anti-virus software and services.
Fourth, install RH7.

I hope my guess works out for you.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, thanks for your response. I actually have XP instead of Vista but thought I'd give the rest of it a shot. BIOS did have TPM ability but wasn't enabled. Even though I had disabled NAV and Windows Defender, I decided to completely uninstall them. Still no luck. Anyway, thanks for the reply. At least it's documented for others to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dan -

Well, I tried. As I said, this was a guess - but an educated guess as I personally have had installation failures due to anti-virus programs and BIOS protection prohibiting RH from writing to the master boot record.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp