• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 970 not supported? After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed ( 5070 :: 2 )

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am disappointed to find that my MSI GTX 970 is not supported for Ray-traced 3D in Adobe After Effects CC 2014.
My configuration:
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.4GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Will be upgrading to 16GB soon)

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

GPU Specs:

Fast Draft:Available
Texture Memory:1562 MB
Ray-tracing:

CPU

(GPU not available - incompatible device or CUDA driver)

OpenGL

Vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
Device:GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Version:2.1.2 NVIDIA 344.75
Total Memory:3.81 GB
Shader Model:4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version:-
Devices:-
Current Usable Memory:-
Maximum Usable Memory:-

I do have the option to "Enable untested, unsupported CPU for CUDA acceleration or ray-traced 3D renderer" but when I do enable it I get an error saying:
"After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed. ( 5070 :: 2 )"

then

"After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Cannot create context for ray tracer ( 5070 :: 2 )"

then another

"After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Out of paged mapped memory for ray tracer. Your project may exceed GPU limits. Try closing other applications. Try updating the CUDA driver. ( 5070 :: 2 )"

I have the most recent Nvidia driver. Anyway to fix this? Or am I going to have to wait for Adobe to support my GPU?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

I would suggest ditching the ray traced renderer and using C4D instead: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects

I mean, it's more powerful and it's free!

If you absolutely must use the ray-traced renderer, what are you trying to use it on? Try it in a project with only a simple shape layer that you're making 3d just to eliminate other, possibly complicating, issues. What version of CC 2014 are you running? 13.1? 13.2?

Keep in mind, Adobe is never going to add it to the supported list fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest ditching the ray traced renderer and using C4D instead: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects

I mean, it's more powerful and it's free!

If you absolutely must use the ray-traced renderer, what are you trying to use it on? Try it in a project with only a simple shape layer that you're making 3d just to eliminate other, possibly complicating, issues. What version of CC 2014 are you running? 13.1? 13.2?

Keep in mind, Adobe is never going to add it to the supported list for the ray-traced renderer as they are no longer developing that particular feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never noticed that! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have a GeForce gtx 750. and it will not let me use the Ray tracing. I only need to create an environment layer. Is there some kind of work around to get something similar to an environment layer that you know of. I cannot find anything on the web. I got a new graphics card that was in my price range that I thought would work for this program specifically to use enviroment layers lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gtx670 cuda

gtx970 opencl

Dual gpu use....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem using a gtx 980.    Cuda cores on this thing are 100 times what my old quadro card had.  Yet useless it seems.   The cinema 4D (LITE btw) thing has its own issues.   I'm hoping Adobe plans to at least recognize these cards one day soon so they don't show up unsupported.  If anything I would expect the newer adobe software to work better with newer cards than it should with 5 year old quadro cards.

It's sad when it seems Mac users with their ATI cards had this exact problem and error codes for years, judging by the old forum posts about these error codes,  because they didn't have Cuda.  Apparently even Cuda driven cards from Nvidia are going to be a problem now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LMn0P,

LMn0P wrote:

I'm hoping Adobe plans to at least recognize these cards one day soon so they don't show up unsupported.  If anything I would expect the newer adobe software to work better with newer cards than it should with 5 year old quadro cards.

I know a situation like this can be very frustrating, sorry about that.

Unfortunately, the newer Maxwell NVIDIA GPUs ship without the OptiX Library and acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions is dependent on that. Therefore, acceleration of these comps will not ever be supported with those GPUs. You may want to reinstall that Quadro card if you plan on doing a lot of ray-traced 3D work.

The After Effects team does recommend that you move forward with Cinema 4D Lite, as that is what is being tested and supported currently and going into the future.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

Today I build in my new GTX 970 card. If I read this before i would never buy these Nvidia card.

Yes I have the same error . 300 € for nothing. grrrr....

C4D Lite seems not use the  GPU on rendering, okay my I7 4970k is quite fast but I hoped for GPU Boost.....

Greetings

Dietmar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didi_Kopter_hexa wrote:

Hallo,

Today I build in my new GTX 970 card. If I read this before i would never buy these Nvidia card.

Yes I have the same error . 300 € for nothing. grrrr....

C4D Lite seems not use the  GPU on rendering, okay my I7 4970k is quite fast but I hoped for GPU Boost.....

Greetings

Dietmar

Sorry, Dietmar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry ?

Fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Juan,

Again, the newer Maxwell NVIDIA GPUs ship without the OptiX Library and acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions is dependent on that. Therefore, acceleration of these comps will not be supported with those GPUs. You still have access to the feature, it's just not accelerated with newer hardware.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No additional work will ever be done on the GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. This means that the Maxwell GPUs will never provide this functionality.

The ray-traced 3D renderer is considered an obsolete feature that is being phased out.

There are many superior ways of working with 3D in After Effects, including working with Cinema 4D, which is included with After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinema 4D Lite is not a solution to this problem, at least for me.  It has a license limit of 800x600 pixel rendering resolution and an upgrade-to-Broadcast price of $1,595. 

All my After Effects 3D models are full HD (1920x1080).  After Effects takes 15 hours to render some of them without GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It has a license limit of 800x600 pixel rendering resolution

That's only for direct exports from Cinema 4D. The intended workflow is to export through After Effects, which has no such limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I tried it again with a full HD model. 

C4D defaults to 800x600 and pops up a warning message about the license limitation. 

My prior attempt appeared to open a small viewport in After Effects that looked like 800x600.  However, I boldly demanded 1920x1080, zoomed in on the model to fill the frame, and saved it.  When I returned to After Effects, it did indeed import the full HD view.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelr44177206 wrote:

Cinema 4D Lite is not a solution to this problem, at least for me.  It has a license limit of 800x600 pixel rendering resolution and an upgrade-to-Broadcast price of $1,595.

That's because you're trying to render through C4D. You have to render through AE, as Todd says.

C4D is still not going to render quickly in AE (because it is genuine 3d and all), but it will likely be faster than the ray-traced renderer and it's much, much more powerful.

Check out some of these tutorials to improve your workflow: Greyscalegorilla Blog | Getting Started with Cinema 4D Lite and Cineware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd.  This is heartbreaking.  I think 2.5d and 3d animators of AE are using ray-trace features more than you think.  I am sad that the AMD 700D's I have in my Mac Pro 2013 aren't compatible, but it sounds like you're pulling the plug on the feature soon, regardless of CUDA, and forcing your users to learn a completely different, and less user-friendly application.  Cinema4D (or C4D) is unarguably, ultimately more powerful, but there's a reason people like me use After Effects instead of apps like Maya or Cinema4D or Renderman:  your users want 3D capabilities in After Effects without all of the learning curves/disfunction/features of Cinema4D, and ray-trace's features have allowed us that foot in the door.

I appreciate @Szalam 's tutorials, but the integration isn't as user-friendly (At least on the new Mac Pro's) as it's being advertised to be.  Animating to sound, in general, is a difficult beast, but it is literally impossible for me if I use C4D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyler Hanson wrote:

Your users want 3D capabilities in After Effects without all of the learning curves/disfunction/features of Cinema4D, and ray-trace's features have allowed us that foot in the door.

If you want some of the features of the ray-traced renderer, but with much faster rendering, you can get it with Video Copilot's Element 3d, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, or Mettle's ShapeShifter. (Each one has their own strengths.) Any of those plugins will make you money pretty fast. I don't know of any professional I've talked to that didn't pay for their plugin with the first job they used it on. It's really quick and, as you know, time is money in this business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this card may be supported after all! See this: What’s new and changed in the upcoming update to After Effects CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly hope Adobe addresses and update the ray-trace compatibility for the newer Nvidia Cards. I prefer using Element 3D over cinema 4D for quicker real time animation using the AE platform. Video Copilot really knows how to simplify the 3D process in a better time and economical value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hectorf91237667 wrote:

I truly hope Adobe addresses and update the ray-trace compatibility for the newer Nvidia Cards. I prefer using Element 3D over cinema 4D for quicker real time animation using the AE platform. Video Copilot really knows how to simplify the 3D process in a better time and economical value.

Adobe's support for the ray-traced renderer has nothing to do with Element. Element will work in AE with the newer NVIDIA cards just fine! The support we're talking about here is just for the obsolete ray-traced renderer that is being replaced by C4D Lite and Cineware. VideoCopilot's Element works swimmingly with the newer cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines