• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to set multiple default transition durations (i.e., with presets)

Participant ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe Premiere would be so lacking in something so basic that is available in every other NLE I've used, but I can't find a way to set a default audio transition that also allows me to set half a second and not the 1 second default. I don't want to apply a lot of cross fades and then having to go to each of them and typing 15 and enter.

Also, there is an easy way to save any filter as a user preset, including combinations of filters as one preset, but the same is not possible for transitions, audio or video, am I missing something?

[Title edited for clarity. — Mod.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

I know this was suggested back in 2012 but if everyone on this thread (and more) submitted a feature request for this, the product team might move it up the stack of changes to implement: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Preferences>General Tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am I missing something?

Yep ...you are missing out on reading the User Help / Manual files before having a mis informed opinion.

I can't believe Premiere would be so lacking in something so basic that is available in every other NLE I've used

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Yep ...you are missing out on reading the User Help / Manual files before having a mis informed opinion.

OK, if you do a search on the PDF for transitions you will get dozens of results until you get to the one mentioned above. Still, I can't believe that a major NLE lacks something so basic as setting favorite transitions with any duration you want, which is something that every other NLE I worked with has, including Edius. I'm sure fan boys with tell me something like "If you like Edius so much why don't you edit with it?", but any objective person will see that this is a major flaw that needs to be addressed by Adobe. Unless it is there and I missed it, in which case feel free to tell me how to do it, because I haven't found a way, not even to put a transition in the user presets folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not save Transition Presets in Premiere. (You can stop searching)

I dont see it as a flaw. Its just the way it is.

I set a Default Transition (Usually 30 frames in a PAL tmeline)  then individually craft each one from there if I need to.

I never edit in a huge rush and enjoy the process of crafting the edit...so time saving is not a priority for me.

BTW - it is kind of worth going thru the Preferences (options) in Premiere and seeing what can be done in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, as Sebasvideo suggests, it is dumb. Premiere's great, but that's dumb, and it should be "fixed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd like to see this feature in Pr, I invite you to file a feature request:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that a major NLE lacks something so basic as setting favorite transitions with any duration you want

Maybe I misunderstand but...you can.  Right click any transition to set it as the default.  Alan told you in post 1 how to set the duration.

So...what's the gripe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand but...you can.  Right click any transition to set it as the default.  Alan told you in post 1 how to set the duration.

So...what's the gripe?

I'm talking about saving transition presets with any duration you want, as well as different types of transitions, like having a cross dissolve that is half a second, another that is 2 seconds, a dip to black that is three, and an exponential fade that is 2 seconds, etc, all accessible in the top Presets folder, instead of having to dig inside a folder that is inside another folder in the effects tab. This is something you can do easily in every other NLE I can remember, Edius, FCP classic, and Vegas if I remember correctly, but I haven't used the last one in a while, although I remember clearly that you can set a script in it to do anything you want, including a fade in and fade out. Why isn't something so basic in Premiere, especially when you can save any filter as a preset? I understand that not all features can be implemented at once, but this is something that has been on NLEs for at least the past ten years. Isn't it about time that Premiere catches up to the rest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, now I get it.  Different durations for different transitions.

It's not a bad idea, but for me I think the higher priority would be for Adobe to make transition duration part of the project file, not general preferences.  Or better yet, attach the duration to a sequence, so that 30i sequences can have 30 frame transitions, 24p sequences can have 24 frame durations, 60p can have 60 frame durations, etc.  I hate changing that duration every time I switch to a different sequence.

I mean, it works fine with audio, which we can set to 1 second.  But for video they make us work in frames.  Well the standard is 1 second duration regardless of frame rate.  I just wish there was a way to set that duration to 1 second that would stay 1 second no matter how many frames were in that 1 second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, it works fine with audio, which we can set to 1 second.  But for video they make us work in frames.  Well the standard is 1 second duration regardless of frame rate.  I just wish there was a way to set that duration to 1 second that would stay 1 second no matter how many frames were in that 1 second.

I have CS6.   Did the CC version add a feature that allows the default video transition to be time in seconds vs. frames?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sebasvideo wrote:

Jim Simon wrote:

So...what's the gripe?

I'm talking about saving transition presets with any duration you want, as well as different types of transitions, like having a cross dissolve that is half a second, another that is 2 seconds, a dip to black that is three, and an exponential fade that is 2 seconds, etc, all accessible in the top Presets folder, instead of having to dig inside a folder that is inside another folder in the effects tab. This is something you can do easily in every other NLE I can remember, Edius, FCP classic, and Vegas if I remember correctly, but I haven't used the last one in a while, although I remember clearly that you can set a script in it to do anything you want, including a fade in and fade out. Why isn't something so basic in Premiere, especially when you can save any filter as a preset? I understand that not all features can be implemented at once, but this is something that has been on NLEs for at least the past ten years. Isn't it about time that Premiere catches up to the rest?

I totally agree with you. Right now the way transitions works (doesn't work, actually) is completely utterly retarded.

You can only set ONE default transition. Only ONE, because there is NEVER going to be a time when you want to frequently use 2, 3, 4 different transitions. NEVER.

You have to dig into the *system preferences* menu to set the duration of that ONE transition. And you can only set ONE duration for ONE transition. There will never ever be a time anyone would ever want to have a few frequent transitions with different durations for each. No, we all only ever need ONE transition with ONE duration for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT WE DO.

Can you tell that I'm frustrated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fuzzybabybunny wrote:

I totally agree with you. Right now the way transitions works (doesn't work, actually) is completely utterly retarded.

You can only set ONE default transition. Only ONE, because there is NEVER going to be a time when you want to frequently use 2, 3, 4 different transitions. NEVER.

You have to dig into the *system preferences* menu to set the duration of that ONE transition. And you can only set ONE duration for ONE transition. There will never ever be a time anyone would ever want to have a few frequent transitions with different durations for each. No, we all only ever need ONE transition with ONE duration for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT WE DO.

Can you tell that I'm frustrated?

Exactly my point. Premiere seems like a really professional NLE in some things, in some others it seems like a $50 consumer NLE that they bundle with a USB video capture stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Shootems.... while you might enjoy hand crafting every cross dissolve to contribute to the glory of your piece, I just need 0.03 seconds on my cross dissolves........ every ... single ... time.

Rush or no rush, I could save a lot of time by being able to simply pop my consistently used default with a right click and "apply default"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you will get a Cross dissolve to happen in 3/100ths of a second because they are usually done in frames but there is nothing stopping you setting a Default Transtion in preferences.

Setting the Default Transition is CTRL-D   ("every time")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing the transition with a predetermined default length onto the timeline is CTRL-D.  Setting the default transition itself is Edit>General.

Right clicking on the transition once it's on the timeline only sets that transition's length, not all of the subsequent ones unless you right click on it and type in the length.

I agree that there needs to be a feature added which allows for the saving of multiple transition lengths. FCP had it and one could map it to any key they wished.  It feels like taking a giant step backwards to not have it--it slows down the process when you have to rely on a mouse instead of sticking with the keyboard.

Generally speaking, editing may require it (dissolving between stills and/or video; dissolving on off keys; fading up from and down to black).  Hacking doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you can do is copy the text of the duration in the effect settings eg. '00:00:00:09'

Then, when you drag on each transition, click the setting - it will highlight the whole text '00:00:01:00', and then you can paste in the replacement. Just been doing this and it does save some time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a needed feature. Having moved from many years of FCP cutting to Premier, i find the lack of custom duration transitions a big oversight.  When cutting down interviews for instance a 2frame dissolve is needed on various cut points in the audio track to remove clicking created by the cut.

The only work around I have found on Premier is to create the transition on the timeline on an edit point, change its duration (2nd click) and enter the new duration, then highlight this new duration transition by clicking on it, copy it (control C) and then click on the edit point you want the transition copied to, and then paste it (command V).

The Preferences/General area only allows audio transition times in seconds?? (on the timeline its in frames) and its limited to .01sec?!  This also should be more customizable.

It's worth noting that in FCP you could even drag/copy transitions in the timeline as well as setting the duration of the default transition in the effects browser.

I'll leave the combos of filters to someone else.

I'm amazed this is 3 years since your question and the functionality has still not been included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you update to the latest version (8.2) you will be able to set default audio transitions to frame level. (min is 2 frames).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me Too.

I'm glad to see that after 3 years adobe has caught up to other NLEs. Oh wait - wrong thread.

Hey adobe, some of us make more than 10second adverts for those cathode-ray-tube thingys. Some of us make beautiful modern immersive experiences, that require a whole range of transitions to glide the user through...

OBVIOUSLY we need a 'favorites' list of transitions, that we can customise.

* three years and counting *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the answer?

Premiere Pro CC/Preferences/Timeline

​

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 12.55.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It is not.

Please read thread before commenting - as others have mention the "settings" and EVERYONE agreed its not the solution, and does not address the original problem.

And the reason Adobe has not fixed this mistake, is that they are spending ALL their manhours and budget on the 9 year old problem of incorporating the opensource CONTAINER of mkv.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was suggested back in 2012 but if everyone on this thread (and more) submitted a feature request for this, the product team might move it up the stack of changes to implement: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that the Bug Reporting side of Adobe is still broken. Its what, the 3rd major system change / upgrade to the bug tracker. (at least since I joined adobe).
Now its actually called "Tracker" I think... I was trying to look a few days ago and guess what - its incomplete, broken, and a waste of time.
It used to be possible to see online the status of requests/bugs - obviously that's stopped as it was clear most of the reports were just left unread, unopened, unactioned, forever.

If I am wrong on this please post a link so I can see the which requests have the most upvotes, and the timescale that popular bugs get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines