Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context-sensitive WebHelp not working

Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a context-sensitive WebHelp system for a web application. I have the topics and the map file created, and the developer has coded the call to the help topic as indicated in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_map_ids.htm. It works correctly if I double-click the help system's start page to open it, but when it is called from within IE, all pages in the application call the main help topic.

The help call in the code appears to be correct, but there is obviously something missing, either on my end (help author) or on his end (developer).

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!

P.S., I'm using RoboHelp 9.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What do you mean by 'when it is called from withing IE'? If your application calls the help correctly, it seems you've correctly used the CSH API. But for calling the help from another web page, you will also need to implement the CSH call.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is, when I enter the path to the help system in Internet Explorer's address (URL) text box, that's when all pages go to the main topic.

What needs to be done to implement the CSH call?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmmpc - did you ever get an answer to this or solve it? I think I'm having the same issues you had. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select the map files in your output settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I "tried" to - I am using RoboHelp 10, and in RoboHelp for Word, I can see the map files, the topics are assigned map ids, but when I generate WebHelp, the output does not contain a single .h or .hh file.  I am going to import this project into RoboHTML and see what happens.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get RoboHelp10 to actually produce output that contains .h files, please let me know!

Thanks,

Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .h file will not be present in your output. In your output, the map information will be an integral part.

In your SSL settings, on the Content page, you have to select which .h files you want to use for context sensitivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, so this means it *should* be working.  Maybe I am testing this wrong.

Question 1: Can I test this manually by typing a URL + parameters into IE?

This is what I am trying to do:

I have a Apache Tomcat server running on http://localhost:8080

My underlying directory structure for the Tomcat server looks like this:

C:\CATALINA_HOME\webapps\helpsys\

my help folders\files are in the helpsys folder

I am trying to type in strings that look like these:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry - need to get the strings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the strings are awaiting moderator approval (sigh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudia

the strings are awaiting moderator approval (sigh)

That sounds like a forum thing? I'm a forum moderator and I'm not seeing anything that would indicate this and I'm seeing the strings.

Can you please expound? Did you see a message or what?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sent you a message because this Reply window isn't posting anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While these strings DO open the help system (nav pane, content pane, TOC, search & index tabs are all there) - I cannot figure out how to get the content of the topic that was assigned the context ID 1000180 to be displayed.

http://localhost:8080/helpsys/index.htm#context=1000180,withnavpane=false
opens to welcome, not window with 1000180 map ID

http://localhost:8080/helpsys/index.htm#<id=1000180>>>newwnd=true
opens to welcome in sep window, blank tab underneath

So, how should I be testing these calls to a specific help topic?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp