• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 11-Maximum number of folder/topics

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have two very large user guides. They were created either RoboHelp 7 or earlier and have been upgraded to version 9 and now 11. Is there a maximum number of folders/topics a user guide should contain within RoboHelp? I need to add more and more information in the guide and am concerned the file is becoming too large. Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

While there is always some "practical" limit for things, I'm really unaware of any limitations imposed by RoboHelp. The standard answer for these things is "machine resources".

Of course, the more files and folders you have, the longer it will take to create your output. Way back in the day when I was in the corporate world, it would take my WebHelp project about 20 minutes to generate. I think I had somewhere around 40,000 files and hundreds of folders in that project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for  your answer Rick.

When you say it took 20 minutes to generate your output, I assume you are talking about out of RoboHelp. Do you know how long it took to open the online user guide?

Thanks again,

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michele

If memory serves, opening that result was just a matter of a few seconds. Wasn't long at all.

I'm guessing you are asking because you are seeing otherwise?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to keep in mind for the source files for very large projects, if you delete the .cpd file it can take a very long time to re-open the project (this includes using the option "Clear project cache (cpd file) before opening any project"). It can look like Robohelp is frozen for quite a while.

For output, if you have a lot of large images or tables, this can slow down opening the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never found the difference in opening one that is of any real significance. I'm curious about the output comment though, the generated output has no link whatever to the CPD so how could that affect the opening of the output?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course only Amber can really say what was meant. But I interpreted that to say that if the condition is that you have lots of images and tables, the output can be slow to open. And that would be purely a topic specific thing.

I do know from experience that if I have a really large topic with lots of images and tables that the topic can open rather slowly.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that but that has nothing to do with deleting the CPD

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Amber meant that it was. I failed in my effort to convey that the way I read her reply, It was simply a secondary thing that could cause slowness. The CPD thing was something totally different.

But who knows? I'm getting older. Maybe I lost the plot!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick is correct. The two paragraphs were meant to be separate points. I'll re-write the second paragraph.

For output, having a large number of images and tables can slow down opening those topics in the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no theoretical limit to the number of files or folders but yes practically there is a limit to the resources that can be used in your published output.

I don't think there is a defined number of files or folders for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp