33 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 10:28 PM by Carm01

Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

heavywulf

So for the last several months my Firefox browser (running Windows 8) keeps crashing on me everytime I try to watch an embedded video on YouTube or anywhere else.

Everytime I try to watch a video, everything just freezes and this message pops up that says:

"Warning: Unresponsive Plugin"

"Shockwave Flash may be busy or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the plugin now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete.

[Continue] [Stop plugin]

This message pops up at least three or four times before my video finally loads or it crashes. Clicking either option makes no difference.

I've tried updating my Firefox browser, my Adobe Flash, my Adobe Shockwave and nothing ever changes! I'm seriously at my wits end! Has anyone else here had this problem before? Did you actually fix it?

• 1. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Could you try the steps outline in this FAQ?  In particular, could you try temporarily disabling the protected mode to see if that makes a difference (instructions for this step can be found at the bottom of the FAQ)

How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

• 2. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
            noahw60649262

I had the exact same issue.

Disabling protected mode solved the problem. (Thank you)

It appears that compatibility issues between Mozilla browsers and Flash Protected Mode have been a recurring problem for quite some time (Flash 11.3 and above). (Although I only started experiencing them after recent updates)

Several "workarounds" have been suggested:

Flash - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Since Adobe strongly recommends running with Protected Mode enabled...

What is the current status for resolving this incompatibility with Firefox?

• 3. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
              chris.campbell Adobe Employee

We're working closely with Mozilla to resolve this.  Having lived through the release of 11.3 and working very closely with the community, I totally get the frustration that this issue can cause.

Do you have a sense for when this started occurring again?

• 4. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                noahw60649262 Level 1

It is difficult to say with 100% confidence exactly when this problem started since many updates were occurring within the same time period (Adobe, Firefox, Windows).  However, to my recollection, it seemed that the problem began after upgrading to Windows 8.1 in January 2015.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                  jeromiec83223024 Adobe Employee

There are some known stability issues affecting Flash Player when running in Firefox on Win8 and higher.  We're working closely with Mozilla to resolve those and hope to provide improvements in forthcoming releases.

In the meantime, Internet Explorer or Google Chrome will provide a much more tuned and stable experience for that platform.

• 6. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                    wolfie138

this problem is seriously getting on my ******* nerves. i don't get it at home, but on the work laptop it's horrendous, i don't do YouTube but the ADVFN site locks up all the time. so according to this thread the wonderful Adobe people have been "working closely" for over 4 months and got nowhere, and the post above seems to be be "go and get something different because we can't be bothered to fix the item you like.

• 7. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

It's unfortunate that the specific issue you're experiencing wasn't fixed by the work that landed in Firefox 39.  That said, the Firefox fixes that just landed in Firefox 39 *did* cut the aggregate Flash hang rate by about 50% for all Windows Firefox users, which is a tremendously successful outcome for an initial engagement, and we look forward to Firefox's active participation in identifying and resolving the other 50%.  We have always been and continue to be more than happy to support and prioritize these kinds of direct, collaborative engineering engagements, especially where the undertakings so clearly benefit our mutual users.

If you have a set of steps that leads to a reproducible hang, including a direct link to something, I'm always happy to take a look.  I can't do much with "it crashes sometimes on some random stuff" in general, which is why those types of problems frequently linger without resolution, but problems with discrete steps and consistent outcomes are very straightforward.

Also, if you haven't already, please run through the video troubleshooting guide, in particular, to see if disabling hardware acceleration makes the hang go away.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

• 8. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                        wolfie138 Level 1

i have no steps, other than going to ADVFN - FTSE 100 Share Prices, LSE stock Quotes, Forex & Financial News and looking at some of the shares - the pages lock up on about 80% of the time at least as i'm browsing, either opening a particular share's page or clicking to go to a forum etc. as i say, i don't have this issue in the house. FF is not telling me Shockwave or Shockwave for Director needs updating etc. so what else do i need to look at to see why things aren't working?

• 9. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                          peterm71232875

Check out this link: Adobe Flash protected mode in Firefox | Firefox Help

Esp: Remove the check mark next to Enable Adobe Flash protected mode.

Solved the problem for me

• 10. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

It will definitely simplify the configuration, but that approach leaves you at a much higher risk for contracting malware.  You'd be better off switching to a browser with a modern sandbox implementation (Chrome, IE on Win8.1+, Opera PPAPI, etc).

• 11. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                              mskumar

We are facing similar issue, in few workstations Flash on Firefox works fine with Flash Protection Mode Enabled, but on few machines Flash on Firefox is not working if the protected mode is on, but when uncheck it works fine. As per understanding the Protection Mode just reduces the performance but not sure why flash itself not working when the Protect Mode is Enabled and on few machines.

• 12. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                wtsmith1020

I have the same issue, and none of the suggested workarounds mentioned above has removed it (and I tried them all).  With Shockwave Flash 19.0.0.185 activated for general browsing, Firefox freezes up and I get "Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working".  This is extremely annoying and until this version of Shockwave Flash was installed, I had not noticed it at all.  When I deactivated this plugin, the issue immediately disappeared, but obviously this is not a solution, as so many sites require Shockwave Flash to work properly.  The only workaround I've found which works (in a lame fashion) is to select "always ask" as the default activation permission mode and to selectively approve SF for the sites I visit which require it.  Am still not sure this workaround will work when I have multiple windows open, but it's the best I have for now.  I really think the folks at Adobe have changed their code in such a way as to make more problems for the Firefox community and the onus is on them to find a universal fix.  I've also noticed that this seems to happen most often when I have multiple browser windows open.  Is there a 'crosstalk' issue at work?

• 13. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                  SabbathFanatic

I have the same problem. I am using Firefox 41.0.1. Here are the list of things I tried:

Safe Mode

Refreshing Firefox

Disabling hardware acceleration and protected mode

Nothing helped.

• 14. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

If you have a consistent set of repro steps, those would be useful.

• 15. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                      SabbathFanatic Level 1

Hello Jeromie Clark, you need to look into Firefox 41.0.1 about the Flash Player crashes.

• 16. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                        TonyGottlieb

Is it just me or does it seem that the problems with Shockwave Flash are everywhere? Nothing with its use seems to operate consistently.

Attemps I've made to ameliorate the problems seem to work temporarily, but then return within a day or two. If Adobe cannot address these concerns I think it behooves everyone to begin the moves away from its use however painful.

• 17. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

Well, you're certainly welcome to do that.  I'd recommend that you try a different browser or two to see if your stability issues go away first.

• 18. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                            yuvarajmani

I am having the same issues with all the browsers(Edge, Chrome and Firefox) in windows 10. Disabling the shock wave plugin works in most cases. What is going on?

• 19. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

Well, disabling Flash would be one way to deal with it.  Without any specific on your personal situation, I can't really venture any guesses.  Are you also using a Lenovo Yoga laptop?  I've posted a lot of troubleshooting steps and background information on the relevant threads.

Some basics would be really helpful:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540

• 20. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                nemod2403986

Hello Jeromie. I'm having a very similar problem, the difference being that my flash player crashes. To the best of my recollection, the problem started after updating from Win 7 to Win 10 about 3 weeks ago. I have submitted bug report 4075490 at https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=4075490. I have run through all the trouble-shooting steps I'm aware of. The only "solution" is to disable Protected Mode, which is obviously not a proper solution.

Very frustrating!

Is there anything further you can suggest other than disabling Protected Mode or using a different browser?

• 21. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

According to the bug, it sounds like you figured this out, and it was a problem with graphics or audio drivers specific to the intersection of your hardware and the drivers supplied by Windows 10.  Getting drivers right is hard, and pushing new drivers for a new OS out to the entire body of existing hardware is challenging to say the least. 

As you've noticed, disabling Hardware Acceleration in Flash Player avoids the use of the hardware accelerated features of your graphics and audio hardware, which provides you with a workaround for the latent bugs in your corresponding drivers. 

The root-cause of the issue; however, is not solved.  Since you've indicated that you have the latest available drivers for your hardware, the underlying crash would need to be first addressed in the driver itself, then made available to you via a future update to that driver.  The best thing you can do is to file a bug with the vendor (I'm assuming Intel), or if it's a desktop machine, experiment with switching out graphics cards to a different vendor or chipset to find a stable combination.

On the upside, I've been seeing near-monthly driver updates from the major manufacturers since Win10 was released, so these kinds of issues are getting a lot of attention an active work is happening.  Getting drivers to work perfectly is difficult work, and they tend to mature slowly over time.

• 22. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                    SabbathFanatic Level 1

Tried installing a new version of Firefox 41.0.2 and installed a new version of Adobe Flash Player and it still freezes. Can you please fix this issue?

• 23. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                      AndroE

Exactly, TonyGottlieb. You'd think that with all of the criticisms that Adobe Flash gets, and with so many people looking for a better alternative, that Adobe would get their act together. YouTube is almost unwatchable because of the lag/"not responding" time. It's insulting to tell customers to drop our entire preferred engagement (web browser choice) with the WWW so that Adobe Flash can work. I'm not going to trash my guitar (Firefox) because one string (Adobe) is broken. I will join the growing chorus of folks wanting to get rid of flash, though.

• 24. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

It's not a matter of not wanting to support Firefox, but giving you a timely workaround.  There's long-term architecture work happening (primarily on the Firefox side) to address the root-cause of general hang and stability issues, but if the issues you're having are painful enough to drive you to this forum, my assumption is that they're bad enough that you probably don't want to live with them for several months.  Also, Protected Mode is an critical defense against malware on Windows, and you put yourself at significant risk by disabling it. 

In terms of short-term options, using one of the ample available choices that have modern, secure plug-in interfaces (even Opera has one now) is going to give you a significant amount of pain relief.

The reason that Flash works so much better in other browsers at the moment is because those browsers have invested heavily in modern plug-in architectures that provide both security and efficiency.  The NPAPI plug-in interface in Firefox has gone largely unchanged since the '90s, and back in 2012 when we saw the shift in the malware space to state-sponsored hacking and well-funded organized crime, we bolted on a modern security sandbox architecture between Flash and Firefox (Inside Flash Player Protected Mode for Firefox.  At the time, Mozilla wasn't interested in making that kind of investment in plug-ins.

A plugin-side approach to sandboxing is sub-optimal, and because it's a bolt-on solution, the communication between Flash and Firefox is a multiple of what it would be in an efficient implementation.  The general flakiness of the system (and the reason it has persisted for years despite significant engineering effort invested) effectively boils down to the fact that there's so much communication happening that we overwhelm the capacity of the operating system to handle it.  Messages between processes that should arrive predictably and in order 100% of the time, suddenly become nondeterministically flaky, and one side of the conversation or the other hangs waiting for messages that arrived in a nonsensical order, or that didn't arrive at all.

We've been collaborating pretty closely with Mozilla over the last year on holistic solutions to this class of problem, and there's now an active effort to address these fundamental issues.  A native sandboxing solution allows us to drop all of that Protected Mode stuff, it makes it *much* easier to determine where a particular problem lies, and we solve the problem with all of the IPC communication.

So yeah, you're better off with another browser in the short term.

• 25. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                          AndroE Level 1

If not for the fact that YouTube is the only place where I have the "not responding" lag time, then I might switch browsers, but I won't switch just for YouTube. Sometimes a script does not respond in Shockwave and it crashes, but more often than not the only flash problems that I have are at YouTube.com, and I always have to wait at YouTube. ALWAYS -- If I enlarge the screen, then I have to wait for the "not responding" lag time. If I scroll down to comment, then I have to wait for the lag time. If I close the YouTube tab or click on another tab, gotta wait.

I always blamed flash because everything I've read says that YouTube's flash videos are the problem. That's how I found this thread, because I was searching for a way to fix my annoying problem that I have with YouTube. I troubleshooted my add-ons and what not, but to no avail. Maybe my problem is with YouTube and not Adobe Flash. I don't know. I'll just have to live with it, I suppose, even though it makes me watch YouTube a lot less than I used to.

• 27. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                            IamaGunslinger

I fully agree.  I have gotten no useful information from Adobe other than to tell me to update my drivers, which was worthless.  Why don't they just admit that they don't want to support Windows 7, which I think is the case.

• 28. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                              Carm01 Level 4

I am going to chime in on this as I have found some relief.

Up until recently I have been crash free as far is this issue.

I implemented a small program which keeps certain prefetch filed deleted. Now I know what some are saying what does this do and how does it help? The answer is I am not entirely sure. I kind of stumbled upon this while troubleshooting the issue. All I know is up until that past month or two this has been my solution for several years now.

I have a bat file if anyone wants to test it that just runs in a loop:

@echo off

:start

del C:\Windows\Prefetch\PLUGIN-CONTAINER*.pf >nul 2>&1

:: remove the >nul 2>&1 if you do not want to see messages like files does not exist for example

del C:\Windows\Prefetch\flashpl*.pf >nul 2>&1

del C:\Windows\Prefetch\firefox*.pf >nul 2>&1

del C:\Windows\Prefetch\PLUGIN-HANG*.pf >nul 2>&1

del C:\Windows\Prefetch\AGCP*.pf >nul 2>&1

timeout 30

goto :start

Firefox is the ONLY browser with this issue and i believe it is 100% related to the plugin-container.exe that they use.

I attempted to post this on the forums and some people were willing to try it and most have had success.

The forum moderators on the firefox forums wanted to sit around and debate this and try to understand why this works; and ZERO were willing to even attempt to try it, which I gave up on the noobs over there. There is zero risk deleting these prefetch files period, yet they wanted to sit around and debate something that was beyond their comprehension.

I do have an exe that sits in the system try and runs all the time as well. The bat file should be a good acid test to see how many this has helped or not.

As far as I am concerned this is 100% a Firefox issue, and until they nuke the plugin-container.exe the problem will always exist unfortunately. I will provide my exe that will run in the systray to those who are interested

I thought I would offer this up here in these forums in hope there are some much more tech savvy and open people to do testing and understanding of this issue. If it proves useful maybe this could be built into the NPAPI flash player..

Anyways my 2 cents

Best Regards

• 29. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                IamaGunslinger Level 1

Thank you for your solution and although I found another, changing the information on Adobe's protection info, I will keep yours for backup. Thanks

From: Carm01 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: Roger Scarbrough <the.45gunslinger@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:21 AM

Subject:  Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?

created by Carm01 in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionI am going to chime in on this as I have found some relief.Up until recently I have been crash free as far is this issue.I implemented a small program which keeps certain prefetch filed deleted. Now I know what some are saying what does this do and how does it help? The answer is I am not entirely sure. All I know is up until that past month or two this has been my solution for several years now. I have a bat file if anyone wants to test it that just runs in a loop: @echo off:startdel C:\Windows\Prefetch\PLUGIN-CONTAINER.pf >nul 2>&1:: remove the >nul 2>&1 if you do not want to see messages like files does not exist for exampledel C:\Windows\Prefetch\flashpl.pf >nul 2>&1del C:\Windows\Prefetch\firefox.pf >nul 2>&1del C:\Windows\Prefetch\PLUGIN-HANG.pf >nul 2>&1del C:\Windows\Prefetch\AGCP*.pf >nul 2>&1timeout 30goto :start Firefox is the ONLY browser with this issue and i believe it is 100% related to the plugin-container.exe that they use.I attempted to post this on the forums and some people were willing to try it and most have had success.The forum moderators on the firefox forums wanted to sit around and debate this and try to understand why this works; and ZERO were willing to even attempt to try it, which I gave up on the noobs over there. There is zero risk deleting these prefetch files period, yet they wanted to sit around and debate something that was beyond their comprehension. I do have an exe that sits in the system try and runs all the time as well. The bat file should be a good acid test to see how many this has helped or not.  As far as I am concerned this is 100% a Firefox issue, and until they nuke the plugin-container.exe the problem will always exist unfortunately. I will provide my exe that will run in the systray to those who are interested  I thought I would offer this up here in these forums in hope there are some much more tech savvy and open people to do testing and understanding of this issue. If it proves useful maybe this could be built into the NPAPI flash player.. Anyways my 2 centsBest Regards If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8215572#8215572 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8215572#8215572 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 30. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                  benb46654231

The short answer is to remove the Adobe Flash install.

I was completely struggling with this.  In my situation it seems like there's a conflict somewhere between the Windows 10 integrated Flash and any separately installed Adobe Flash.

I had no end of problems, I'd tweak it back and forth, reboot, etc. to get it to stabilize only for it to revert back to the same plugin problems following fresh Windows 10 or Flash patches.  I had been running a separate Adobe Flash install really just for Firefox and ended up removing that and just using IE/Edge/Chrome for Flash content.  So far no problems.  With Adobe Flash installed I had problems with all browsers, they work fine with Flash content (except FF of course).

• 31. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                    claudeh76228770

I had the same problem on my computer ( Desktop Win 10 pro insider updates ) and my wife's Computer ( Laptop Win 10 Home ). Spent many hours trying all the fixes with no luck. Then a friend told me he had no problems since he installed add blocker plus. I installed it on both computers and no more crashes. Turn it off and crashes within minutes. Both have been running for three days with 0 crashes. Latest version software firefox and flash. Sad part is I don't want to block adds as I use them to keep me in mind of things I'm thinking of buying.

• 32. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                      Carm01 Level 4

I am on WIndows 10 and have zero issues

1) This is not a conflict as Firefox uses NPAPI version of flash and Windows 10 has it built. Firefox will never use the built in version to windows period! You have to download and install it period, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

2) NEVER remove the Windows 10 integrated version of flash unless you want your system to get borked up period.

IF you are on a 64 bit system I would suggest you use the Firefox 64 bit developer version as it will handle running flash content a little differently, meaning there is NO out of process flash player running in taskmanager as shown below with the standard Firefox build:

Go here to get the 64 bit developer version. It works the same, the icon is blue instead of orange. It just works much better ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/all/ )

3) the plugin unresponsive as state above is a Firefox issue period! It happens with no other browser.

4) If you want to do a clean install of Flash for any version go here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/adobeflashupdater/

This is 100% automated and safe. Will do all the work for you easily. All the references are in the GUI of the program.

Best regards!

• 33. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                        benb46654231 Level 1

1)  Right, I, like a lot of other people desiring Flash support in Firefox specifically installed Adobe Flash to provide Flash support to Firefox because it *does not* use the integrated Flash on Windows 10.

2) Who said to remove the Windows 10 integrated Flash?  Is there even a way to safely remove the integrated version?  Suggesting that everyone use a developer version isn't the greatest advice.

3) I don't know how else to describe it, I had problems with all browsers using Flash.  I'd typically see the plugin hang first on Firefox and it was stick-a-fork-in-it time after that.  If I went to the same site even a moment later using IE, Edge or Chrome the site would hang.

4) Thanks, and no offense, but if the install is not working as produced straight from the vendor why would anyone install it from some third-party?  That advice ranks out there along with disabling protected mode.

• 34. Re: Firefox keeps telling me my Shockwave Player is "unresponsive"?
                                                                          Carm01 Level 4

good luck brother, just trying to offer some advice