• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images in printed documentation

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just converted to RoboHelp HTML 6.0 from RoboHelp for Word 5.1 and successfully imported my old project and rebuilt it as a Microsoft HTML help file. This worked a treat.

If I then try to create printed documentation (as a Word document), if I choose to embed images I get a nothing in the resulting word documents, and if I choose to create the documents with links to images in an images sub folder then I get links that don't work (I just get a white square with a red cross in the top left hand corner). What am I doing wrong?

Overall I am fairly impressed with how well RoboHelp HTML is working, so if I can get past this glitch I'll be very happy indeed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect you are using Word 2003. See Print Issues on my site. This problem is covered there with the solution.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

There appear to be a few relevant suggestion on your web-site:
1) images being surrounded by h3 tags instead of p tags - this is not the case - all mine seem to be surrounded by p tags.
2) a suggested work around is to build with links to external images - this I am already doing
3) long file names for image files - I have got some long file names, but plenty of short ones, and none work. The path is quite long, but I'd hope that the links are relative like in the htm files?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I read your post too quickly and assumed it was the standard problem with embedded images.

Do the images show up correctly under the images folder in Project Manager?

Do they appear correctly in the online help?

Try importing one of the topics that has this problem into a new project and then generate a printed output from that. Any difference?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images show up correctly in both the images folder and in the compiled chm help file.

If I import one of the topics I get the same problems as in my original project i.e. the linked images appear as a blank white square with a red cross in the top left corner.

I have just discovered that if I insert an extra image in front of the other ones in my imported topic and regenerate the output then they all come out properly in Word. And they still do if I delete the extra image, so perhaps I just need to make some change to each topic and save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant just that if I insert another image into the topic then that image and all the others that were already there will work, but I have since found that making any change to a topic will fix the problem.

I have attached the html of one of my topics before and after making a trivial change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

src="..\image\new_method_dfm.gif" should be src="../image/new_method_dfm.gif", should it not?

In addition, you're using an awful lot of code that should appear once in a style sheet (.css) file.

That is, all those:

p style="margin: 4pt 6.5pt 0pt 5.75pt; text-align: justify;"

should be, in the .css file,

P {
margin: 4pt 6.5pt 0pt 5.75pt;
text-align: justify;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are going to start using style sheets shortly - this is just an interim phase where we have just converted from RoboHelp for Word 5.1 in which we had more or less given up on trying to produce printed documentation, and had not come across the concept of style sheets!

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you insert an image in front of one?

Zip up the new project and send it to me via my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you gave up on X5 as it worked fine for me.

The code for you topic doesn't really help. I need a project with the images and the problem. I will be away for a few days now so it will be a little while before I can look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the main reason for changing to HTML was because of version control (we use Subversion) which is always going to work a lot better with lots of small files rather than one large word/rtf document.

We have had all sorts of problems with RoboHelp for Word in the past, though it may have originally been in earlier versions that 5.1 that we gave up on trying to create printed documentation (from RoboHelp: we did it separately in the end) mainly because of formatting issues. It may well be that if we had tried again it would have been better, or even completely satisfactory, but the need to move to HTML was overwhelming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
So, did you try changing the backslashes to slashes in one topic, to test whether that's the issue on the graphics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp