• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query of Queries

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to simulate this mySQL query in a CF Q of Q? Basically Ineed the results ordered by year, then the word month. I would be willing to perform a simple operation on the Resultset after it has been fetched/created to order it properly also. Either way would work for me.

SELECT bsa_year, bsa_month FROM
(SELECT * FROM data1 WHERE company_id = 'xxx') t1
UNION SELECT isa_year, isa_month FROM
(SELECT * FROM data2 WHERE company_id = 'xxx') t2
ORDER BY bsa_year, FIELD(bsa_month,'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec')
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If bsa_month is numeric, it should sort that way anyway ie 1,2,3,4,5,6..12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your query is too complicated. The subqueries accomplish nothing that you could not have achieved by selecting directly from the tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it could be stored as numbers instead of the letters, but the table was not my work and that's the way it's set up. I could change everything related to it and it probably wouldn't be too much. I just thought if there was a way to sort like that, i wouldn't have to. And i could use in other places that weren't just months.

Dan, I realize i could accomplish this with a simple query, but i already have those queries in memory at the point of this request. The query i pasted in here was what i was testing in sqlYog. In the code the subqueries are replaced by the names of the previous queries. I thought this would be a better method for lowering traffic and be faster since it was in mem already. I realize this is a small example of both of those since it is such a small query, but would that typically be the right idea? Or should i just stick to writing the queries as i need them from the sql server?

-Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it probably would be simpler to store the value as a number, or the year/month/day as a datetime field.

Afaik, QoQ don't provide the type of function you're looking for. Its a convenience that supports a limited number of functions. Nothing near as extensive as your db's functions.

Another option is to perform the logic in your sql queries and add a "bsa_month_number" column to the query results. Then use that column in your QoQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use mySQL so I am not sure what it can and can't do. Since bsa_month is a string, use either a case construct to convert those strings to numbers, or a function on a date field to get the month number. Use that for your 2nd sort field.

Subqueries do not work in Q of Q. You have to select from previous queries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Dan Bracuk
I don't use mySQL so I am not sure what it can and can't do. Since bsa_month is a string, use either a case construct to convert those strings to numbers, or a function on a date field to get the month number. Use that for your 2nd sort field.

Yes. A CASE statement is one option. Another is to concatenate the year, month and '01' (ie first of month) and use the STR_TO_DATE function to convert the string to a date. Then use that column in your QoQ order by

-- example
STR_TO_DATE('2007-Jan-01', '%Y-%b-%d') AS bsa_date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation