5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 5:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks html in Dreamweaver

Woody Schauer
      I have a Fireworks navigation header that I want to use in my site.
      In DW I go in and place the FW html into the table where it is to reside - save and close.
      I then go back to FW and modify the .png file and would like to update the html (via the FW command) but I keep getting the message "No matching Fireworks HTML was found. A Fireworks table will be inserted at the end..." - The file I choose to update is the same html file just created by FW.
      Not sure what to do, can anyone help?

I want to use this navigation bar in the entire website, however if I can't update it in one place and have the changes be reflected throughout the whole site then it's no good. I can do this right?

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks html in Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          Woody Schauer wrote:

> I then go back to FW and modify the .png file and would like to update the
          > html (via the FW command) but I keep getting the message "No matching Fireworks
          > HTML was found. A Fireworks table will be inserted at the end..." - The file I
          > choose to update is the same html file just created by FW.

Why are you editing it again once you have finished it? Finish it first,
          and then place it in Dreamweaver

> I want to use this navigation bar in the entire website, however if I can't
          > update it in one place and have the changes be reflected throughout the whole
          > site then it's no good. I can do this right?

The closest you can get to doing what you want is to create a
          Dreamweaver Library item, or Template with the Fireworks HTML. Once you
          have created it, you can change its editable areas in Dreamweaver.

Linda R
          -
          • 2. Re: Fireworks html in Dreamweaver
            Woody Schauer Level 1
            Really I don't have to edit it or make changes to it (the FW file) now, and I'm not touching it in dreamweaver after it's in, but merely thinking ahead. So when in two months, after the site is finished, and the client asks to add something to the menu, I can add it in FW and the changes will be reflected in all of the DW pages and I don't have to manually update every one.

I've tried the library thing but it doesn't seem to pull the html/java script in with it, which I really need because of the menu (dropdown) that I've created in FW.

So, I'm back to square one.
            Maybe I'll see if I can get the entire navagation (created in FW) to be a part of a style sheet or something..
            • 3. Re: Fireworks html in Dreamweaver
              Andrew_C_Rudkin
              Hi Woody
              Yes, of course you need to do this.
              If you can't update a menu, once you've exported it from FW to DW, how can you maintain a website?
              I have followed the instructions in the MX manual - and get exactly the same Error message.
              It's all beautifully explained - but it doesn't work.
              You can make changes in FW - take a look at the code - then type code changes into DW.
              Very fiddly and slow!
              Did you get anywhere with this?
              I assume it's just a bug in my version of FireWorks - 6.0?
              Any fixes?
              • 4. Re: Fireworks html in Dreamweaver
                Woody Schauer Level 1
                Hi Andrew,
                You know I never did get it to work within Dreamweaver and FW.
                It seems like it should work somehow, but it really doesn't. Not for me at least. What I ended up doing is using a cold fusion include file and just having one page with the fireworks code. Then I can update just the one page and it's replicated throughout the entire site. If you figure out a way to make this work, like I think it's supposed to, let me know.

• 5. Re: Fireworks html in Dreamweaver
                  Level 7
                  The way to avoid this problem is to NOT use FW to write your HTML. If you
                  did all of your HTML work in DW rather than partly in FW then the issue
                  would go away.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"Woody Schauer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gi955v$7fr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi Andrew,
                  > You know I never did get it to work within Dreamweaver and FW.
                  > It seems like it should work somehow, but it really doesn't. Not for me at
                  > least. What I ended up doing is using a cold fusion include file and just
                  > having one page with the fireworks code. Then I can update just the one
                  > page
                  > and it's replicated throughout the entire site. If you figure out a way to
                  > make
                  > this work, like I think it's supposed to, let me know.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >