Exit

Kannada Language Text not displaying correctly in Indesign

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on Indesign CS6, Windows operating system

I am having a problem in Indian language kannada, some of the letters are not correctly being shown in Indesign but the same thing in microsoft office 2007 is being shown correctly i have attached the sample documents for Indesign and office 2007 with the kannada language font.

These fonts works correctly in other text editors but not in indesign

Even I have selected the adobe world ready paragraph composer, but the result is same letters are displayed correctly

?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bdbt99

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an expert on fonts, but my impression is that this is a problem with this font and the combining forms. The text seems to appear properly in the Tunga font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that font works correctly in office document i have attached. And it works with other editors correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that the font works in Word or other editors is no guarantee that it will work in InDesign. ID is much pickier in the fonts with which it will work. You will probably need to find an OpenType version of a Unicode compliant font for this language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font does appear to be properly unicode encoded, but for some reason ID just isn't seeing combining forms that use more than two glyphs even though at least one of the combinations is visible in the Glyphs panel, so I'm not sure where the problem lies, but since the same codepoints work in Tunga (but not in Arial Unicode, either), my guess is it's some sort of internal coding issue in the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, though I don't think it's all that helpful.

Where's Joel when we need him?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably enjoying time with the family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font does appear to be properly unicode encoded, but for some reason ID just isn't seeing combining forms that use more than two glyphs even though at least one of the combinations is visible in the Glyphs panel, so I'm not sure where the problem lies, but since the same codepoints work in Tunga (but not in Arial Unicode, either), my guess is it's some sort of internal coding issue in the font.

Plenty of complex-script font developers work to the requirements not of the Unicode consortium or the OpenType spec, but to the quirks of a given rendering platform, e.g. Windows' usp10.dll which (used to be? is?) was the DLL responsible for Unicode support in Windows and Office. Alternately, some render only in Apple Advanced Typography (AAT) which is apparently a superior tech, but which only works in Apple apps.

This is not my first run-in with fonts from Modular Infotech. What a great name! I will post again in a few minutes after opening up raghugada's files and poking around to see what's what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been poking away at it for a while, but I can't get it to work yet. Like Peter, I can get it render correctly in other fonts, and I can get partway there if I manually rekey it (laboriously, because I really know very little about Kannada) but I can't get the Shree fonts to work in ID as they do elsewhere.

Could you confirm for me, raghugada, that this is what it's supposed to look like? If I'm wrong, could you post a screenshot of correct display?

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 2.12.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joel – my guess here is it should look like this:

KannadaScript-288pt-TextEdit.png

Just opened the provided docx file in TextEdit app without installing the ttf font.
The screenshot is showing a substitute font in TextEdit.

InDesign (with the right font installed SHREE0850.TTF) is showing 4 characters (or glyphs) for the contents of the first selectable "entity":

4Characters4Glyphs1Entity.png

And also 4 charcaters (or glyphs) for the contents of the second "entity":

4Characters4Glyphs1Entity-2ndExample.png

Unfortunately not all Unicode codes are visible in the Info panel. And that entity seems to be one "word". Don't know, if using the term "word" here makes any sense.

I wanted to know, what's going on and duplicated every single "character" of the two "words" or "entities" to a different text frame:

TwoExamples.png

Still don't know what's going wrong, but maybe you can make something out of this.
How did I duplicated the single characters? By scripting in ExtendScript/JavaScript. I selected one "entity" (is it a word?) and ran the following script:

var myDoc = app.documents[0];

var mySelChars = app.selection[0].characters.everyItem().getElements();

for(var n=0;n<mySelChars.length;n++){

mySelChars.duplicate(

LocationOptions.AT_BEGINNING,

myDoc.pages[0].

textFrames.add({

geometricBounds:[0,0,"50mm","60mm"]

}).

insertionPoints[0]

);

};

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly irrelevant observation:

kannada.PNG

The OpenType features are all linked to the script "Kannada", but not to a particular language. How does InDesign select a script engine? Based on the Unicode values of the used characters, perhaps? This font seems to be unsure about its own encoding; my font viewer reports conflicting names vs. unicodes. The Double Danda, for example, has the proper Unicode U+0965, but in this font it has the name "u0CAE".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. When you File/Place the .docx provided by the OP, Indesign assigns "Arabic" as the language.

Edit: It's interesting that Kannada (India) is listed as available language but Indesing doesn't apply it in this case. Also when you check Review language in the .docx file in Word it shows Kannada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jongware The OpenType language and script are provided by the language, as addressed by the matching text attribute. If you have the SDK around, that's ILanguage::GetOpenTypeScriptTag() and GetOpenTypeLanguageTag().

That strange glyph name smells like a conversion from an older format / encoding. It might lead to funny effects - I read that under some circumstances Acrobat back-guess characters from glyphs using their postscript names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost a hefty comment on this thread. I think that Theun's "possibly irrelevant observation" is actually the answer, as is Ellis' observation on the MS Office side. A font that declared its language correctly, if used in this workflow, would allow the language to be marked in Word in such a way that it would be marked correctly in ID upon import, and (probably) would get the Kannada glyph-stacking right.

There is more than one font from this type foundry that bears this kind of evidence of font file format conversion. So Dirk's suspions are correct as well. Raghugada, if you return to this thread, I'd advise that you just send the link to the thread to the people over at Modular Infotech, who (I'm told) regularly update their vast library of fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please tell me which is this font editor ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌It is not a font editor, it's a font viewer. I wrote it myself a while ago, first to display all glyphs in a font, then added some OpenType feature displays. I know my way around OTF files because of such experiments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I appreciate you work. Is there any free font editor where we can edit the fonts ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel's sample matches the appearance for the Word file on my system and the way Tunga looks in ID for the same text.

Uwe's does not....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Computer, Mac OS X 10.10, InDesign CC 2014 it look like this without changing anything, except bringing the font into the Document fonts folder aside the original InDesign file:

font.png

Can you show us, how it looks like on your computer and where you have installed the fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should install additional a different language version, I have additional installed several MENA versions, so I have installed the complete World Composer including all additional files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This actually worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think:

1. Installing Nudi software
  2. Typing the text in Nudi editor
  3. Pasting it to Premiere as is
  4. Changing font to Nudi

-worked pretty straight forward for me.

It's the latest version I know about of Premiere Pro, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines