• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style Advice Needed

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a particular style of font (created using several options, i.e. small caps, bold, highlight). I thought it would be a good idea to add this to a css file. When I added this to the file, however, it seems to be only a paragragh style and not a character style as I might have in MS Word.. By character style I mean selecting a couple words and applying the style to those words ONLY and NOT the whole paragraph.

Can anyone offer direction for this objective?

Thanks,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007
Captiv8r,

I couldn't find the reference on your website but I do like the wizard picture!

Anyhow, I ended up editing the default.css and just changing the style from P.steylename to SPAN.stylename and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I'm guessing you tried to add your new style to the style sheet using the Format > Styles dialog. Most of RH's styles are paragraph-level. The character-level styles are for things like DHTML text. You can edit your .css file in a text editor, but if you go that route, do so with a copy of your project first. RH has its own mechanisms for coding styles in the .css file (open the file in Notepad and you'll see what I mean), and I manually enter a style only when I don't have any other option for what I want to do. You can find all kinds of info online about how to create styles in CSS.

Another caveat here is that RH seems to freely use the <span> tag, which is the element you'd use for most character-level styles. If you start specifying a span class for bits of text within paragraphs, RH may get confused, and the <span> tags may start proliferating like rabbits in your code. I have seen <span> tags pop up like crazy in RH X5 and 6, but I'm still only trying out RH7, so I don't know if it's a problem there.

So like Peter Grainge may say here, back up your project and be careful if editing styles manually.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not dig into the files themselves at this point, I can opt to not use the font if necessary, alternatively I could maybe put the text on its own paragraph. Is there a macro function that I could use to format selected text with several options?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to take back what I said about character-level styles being just for DHTML text. It looks like RH6 does let you create character-level styles. It seems to me that I tried to do that once upon a time and couldn't, but perhaps that was with X5. See if you have the option to create a new style in the Format > Styles dialog with the "Character" style type and see if that gives you what you want.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am still on version 5 and am uncertain when an additional upgrade might be purchased.

To be clear, I can create a character level style in a given topic but I want to be able to share this style created on one topic with all the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

RoboHelp X5 should allow you to create character styles as well. Any style you create will be available to any topic as long as you create it inside the linked style sheet.

I have steps outlined in the link below:
Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you create a new style, make sure in the Styles dialog (where all the styles are listed) that the .css file you are using is shown in the "Available in" dropdown box. If you create a new style with a .css file selected here, the new style is added to that style sheet. This makes the new style available to all topics using that style sheet.

From there, in any topic using that style sheet, you should be able to select some text and find your style in the styles dropdown box in the toolbar. If that dropdown isn't shown, you will probably have to customize your toolbar so it shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r,

I couldn't find the reference on your website but I do like the wizard picture!

Anyhow, I ended up editing the default.css and just changing the style from P.steylename to SPAN.stylename and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again

How odd. The link opens right up for me whether I'm using IE or FireFox. What is the browser you are using?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp