• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed and verifed but Flash Player continues to crash in Firefox. Any suggestions

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player sometime activates and then crashes after a few seconds.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm sorry you're encountering these problems.  I'll try what I can to help.

1. Have you tried any browser other than Firefox?  It would be helpful to know if these same types of crashes occur with Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

2. Did this crashing behavior just start occurring?  If so, was there a particular update or event that preceded the crashing?

3. Does the crashing happen consistently?  Ie. If you go to the same web page that contains Flash content, does it crash every time you visit?  Does it crash when you visit this page?  Flash Player Help  What pages does it crash on?

4. Can you visit about:crashes within Firefox and submit some of the most recent crashes.  Once submitted, please post back with the crash URL's.

4. Can you try resetting your Firefox profile?  Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox Help

5. Finally, can you try temporarily disabling protected mode to see if that makes a difference (this will be the last step in the faq)?  How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding Chris.  Flash Player consistently crashes no matter what site I am in.  I've tried all of the suggested fixes in Flash Player help and nothing has been successful. The computer confirms that I have downloaded the most recent file but Adobe Flash Player doesn't show in the Firfox Add Ons.  I also tried Firefox flash player suggestions but none worked.  It crashes no matter what page I am on.  If flash player is required, it crashes.  It also crashes in Internet Explorer.  I am a novice so please bear with me.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim

To: Jim Jones <jejbutler@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 4:26 PM

Subject: Installed and verifed but Flash Player continues to crash in Firefox.  Any suggestions

Installed and verifed but Flash Player continues to crash in Firefox.  Any suggestions

created by chris.campbell in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionHello,I'm sorry you're encountering these problems.  I'll try what I can to help. 1. Have you tried any browser other than Firefox?  It would be helpful to know if these same types of crashes occur with Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.2. Did this crashing behavior just start occurring?  If so, was there a particular update or event that preceded the crashing?3. Does the crashing happen consistently?  Ie. If you go to the same web page that contains Flash content, does it crash every time you visit?  Does it crash when you visit this page?  Flash Player Help  What pages does it crash on?4. Can you visit about:crashes within Firefox and submit some of the most recent crashes.  Once submitted, please post back with the crash URL's.4. Can you try resetting your Firefox profile?  Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

Firefox Help5. Finally, can you try temporarily disabling protected mode to see if that makes a difference (this will be the last step in the faq)?  How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox? Thanks,

Chris If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7304505#7304505 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7304505#7304505 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Do a clean install

If it's still not working, then it's time to do an uninstall/reinstall of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie, I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player and Firefox but nothing has changed as I still experience Flash Player crashes.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:31 PM

Subject: Installed and verifed but Flash Player continues to crash in Firefox.  Any suggestions

Installed and verifed but Flash Player continues to crash in Firefox.  Any suggestions

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionTry this:Do a clean install If it's still not working, then it's time to do an uninstall/reinstall of Firefox. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7309831#7309831 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7309831#7309831 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8.0

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:05 PM

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionWhat version of Windows are you using? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313091#7313091 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313091#7313091 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I should've asked earlier, but it just dawned on me that I had been assuming Win7. 

Flash Player is pretty flaky in Firefox on Win 8 and higher at the moment.  We've nailed down what we think is the big issue, and will hopefully have it resolved soon.  In the meantime, you're probably better off with Chrome or Internet Explorer on Win8.  They're both very well tuned and tested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jereomie, it also crashes in Internet Explorer.  However I didn't uninsteall IE and reinstall.  Should I do thate?  Thanks very much for your help.  I'm about ready to spit on Flash Player but most everything requires it most of the time any more.

Jim

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:57 PM

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionYeah, I should've asked earlier, but it just dawned on me that I had been assuming Win7.   Flash Player is pretty flaky in Firefox on Win 8 and higher at the moment.  We've nailed down what we think is the big issue, and will hopefully have it resolved soon.  In the meantime, you're probably better off with Chrome or Internet Explorer on Win8.  They're both very well tuned and tested.  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313273#7313273 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313273#7313273 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's weird that you're having this much trouble.  What's the make and model of your machine?  It might be something we want to go pick up.  We're testing Win8+ mostly on Surface hardware.

IE *does* require a different set of steps to disable hardware acceleration:

How to enable or disable software rendering in Internet Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Computer is an HP Desk Top about 3 years old.  Still works fine with the exception of Adobe Flash.  I use it several hours a day as I am Retired and Treasurer of two large organizations and do some desk top publishing as a hobby.

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:14 PM

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionYeah, it's weird that you're having this much trouble.  What's the make and model of your machine?  It might be something we want to go pick up.  We're testing Win8+ mostly on Surface hardware.

IE does require a different set of steps to disable hardware acceleration: How to enable or disable software rendering in Internet Explorer If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313371#7313371 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313371#7313371 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay.  That makes a lot of sense. 

It's very likely that this is driver-related, and OEMs like HP often don't pick up all of the driver updates from hardware vendors like ATI and nVidia.  You might also have better stability in general with Win8.1, and it's a free upgrade.  Win8.0 didn't get any traction, and so the industry has kind of skipped over it like we did with Windows ME and Vista.  Win 8.0 is getting cursory testing, but everyone's real focus is on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10, which is where the bulk of the population either is, or is anticipated to be.  If HP isn't shipping custom Win8 drivers that match your hardware, the latest GPU drivers from AMD or ATI that match your chipset will usually work fine and will have all the latest bugfixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to upgrade teo 8.1 and it won't upgrade for some reason. I was not able to determine why.

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:35 PM

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionAh, okay.  That makes a lot of sense.   It's very likely that this is driver-related, and OEMs like HP often don't pick up all of the driver updates from hardware vendors like ATI and nVidia.  You might also have better stability in general with Win8.1, and it's a free upgrade.  Win8.0 didn't get any traction, and so the industry has kind of skipped over it like we did with Windows ME and Vista.  Win 8.0 is getting cursory testing, but everyone's real focus is on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10, which is where the bulk of the population either is, or is anticipated to be.  If HP isn't shipping custom Win8 drivers that match your hardware, the latest GPU drivers from AMD or ATI that match your chipset will usually work fine and will have all the latest bugfixes. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313379#7313379 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313379#7313379 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to download 8.1 again and for some reason it is not compatable with my system. I'm a novice so I really don't know why.  I've never run into this before.  Do you suppose it would work if I purchase 8.1 from Microsoft?>

Jim

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:35 PM

created by Jeromie Clark in Using Flash Player - View the full discussionAh, okay.  That makes a lot of sense.   It's very likely that this is driver-related, and OEMs like HP often don't pick up all of the driver updates from hardware vendors like ATI and nVidia.  You might also have better stability in general with Win8.1, and it's a free upgrade.  Win8.0 didn't get any traction, and so the industry has kind of skipped over it like we did with Windows ME and Vista.  Win 8.0 is getting cursory testing, but everyone's real focus is on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10, which is where the bulk of the population either is, or is anticipated to be.  If HP isn't shipping custom Win8 drivers that match your hardware, the latest GPU drivers from AMD or ATI that match your chipset will usually work fine and will have all the latest bugfixes. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313379#7313379 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313379#7313379 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines