Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a book folder component?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to create a book folder from a script. From what I understand the relevant methods are "NewSeriesObject" and "NewSeriesBookComponent"; they only take the object name. OK, so I create it and get what seems to be a file without a valid path. I then try to change the "ComponentType" property to "FV_BK_FOLDER", but cannot do it. If I try to change it directly, it just stays put; if I try to change it via "SetProps" the document simply disappears from the book.

The FDK has a sample of how to create a book component in C, but it creates a file, not a folder. Otherwise it seems to be as I described: first insert the component and then change it (the sample changes the name). The FDK reference doesn't describe the "ComponentType" property though.

Does anyone know how to create a folder?

Kind regards,

Mikhail

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more about how I'm using "SetProps". First I tried to get all props with "GetProps", change the specific one, and then set them all with "SetProps". This doesn't work, the script says "timeout error". I then tried to construct just a single specific PropVal, then add it to PropVals object, and use this single value with "SetProps"; this doesn't work either, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikhail,

A very challenging question. So far, I can't figure it out. Like you, I see a new component created as a file, and any attempt to set FP_ComponentType has no effect. There is this function as well, that claims to insert a component of a certain type, but apparently only works for structured books:

comp = book.NewBookComponentOfTypeInHierarchy (compName, compType, elemLoc);

I didn't try it.

One note about GetProps/SetProps... I often have trouble with those, especially when I attempt to tweak a property and reset. So, no surprise to hear of your trouble there. Normally, it is just better to set the property directly. That is, if it actually works.

I apologize that I don't have an answer for you. I'll keep thinking about it.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, there's no way to change this property at all. It's probably set automatically. Here's what brought me to this conclusion: I decided to skip folders for now and started to add documents to the book and run into the same problem: I create a component and its ComponentType is set to (an undocumented) 512 and I cannot change it to, say, FV_BK_XML (0x20) But if I first make sure I have the document's file on disk and then create a component and set its Name to point to the file, I get the right FV_BK_XML type automatically.

The bad news is that, obviously, I cannot do the same for folders or groups as they are not mapped to filesystem objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikhail, I don't know. I would think that you should be able to set it. There are clearly bugs involved here. The fact that SetProps() hangs a script proves that, I think.

One thing, with regard to ComponentType 512, this is undocumented because the documentation has errors. 512 is Constants.FV_BK_FILE, which should be in the list instead of FM, MIF, and XML. In other words, the last three items in this list are wrong and should be replaced by FV_BK_FILE:

• Constants.FV_BK_FOLDER (0x02) - Folder

• Constants.FV_BK_GROUP (0x40) - Group

• Constants.FV_BK_FM (0x8) - FrameMaker document

• Constants.FV_BK_MIF (0x10) - MIF document

• Constants.FV_BK_XML (0x20) - XML document

I did think of a rather clunky workaround to this problem. I'll put it into a separate response.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikhail,

Here is a workaround to this problem, although admittedly not very convenient. I would use it if I were desperate.

In the GUI, FM allows you to copy a book component from one book to another. This includes folders and you can simulate this with a script. For example, to copy the first component of one book to another:

var book = app.FirstOpenBook;

var comp = book.FirstComponentInBook;

comp.ComponentIsSelected = true;

Fcodes([FCodes.KBD_COPY]);

book = book.NextOpenBookInSession;

Fcodes([FCodes.KBD_PASTE]);

Some notes:

- You have to use FCodes because the book object does not provide a Copy() method

- You will have to do some work to control where the paste occurs. It seems to occur after the currently-selected component

- You will need a "dummy" book from which to copy

- If you are doing multiple paste actions, you need to rename the folders as you go, because a book apparently can't have two folders with the same name.

Anyway, this is a very complicated way to get around the bugs with the expected methodology. I hope it helps.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a chance that this is an FDK bug. I haven't been able to do it with FrameScript either. This is often the methodology I will use for something I am not sure of in ExtendScript: I will do it with FrameScript (because I am familiar with it) and then translate it to ExtendScript. I am curious if it would work in the FDK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Rick, since you asked, I had to try. Indeed, the behavior is the same. This call does nothing:

F_ApiSetInt(bookId, compId, FP_ComponentType, FV_BK_FOLDER);

...and an attempt to copy all properties from a folder component to a file component results in a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not good. The way I understand it, if it doesn't work in the FDK, it is not going to work with either ExtendScript or FrameScript.

According to the FrameScript documentation, ComponentType (FP_ComponentType) is a read-only property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder how they know, unless it was just by observation. According to the latest FDK documentation, FP_ComponentType doesn't even exist. It is mentioned briefly in the FDK9 supplement, but that's about it. I guess this doesn't surprise any of us, though, so I'll let that dead horse be for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines