• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for Olympus E-M5 Mark II

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Lightroom 5.7 isn't recognising RAW files from the new Olympus E-M5 Mark II. Has anyone found a solution please?

GIna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that camera was released after the last LR came out in mid-December. I’d expect support in the next LR version, which could be LR 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG converter does not work. These .orf RAW files are not yet supported by any editing software I can fine except Intensify but it save files in in its own format which LR etc don't import.

Its a real pain until Adobe update. I have no alternative but to use the Viewer that came with the camera then convert to TIFF. WARNING a 17mb raw file becomes an 85mb tiff!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This situation happens to anyone who buys a camera released after the last version of Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Many thanks for your responses It seems we will have to wait! Like you, I am using the Olympus software to convert to tiff files, but, as you point out, the tiff files are far too big to be practical on a long term basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel Does that mean its OK?

So I bought this GM truck, brand new model but I cannot use it as designed because it doesn't accept sulphur free gas!  The new gas will be available as soon as Exxon can refine it for distribution Would that be acceptable - I don't think so!

We have accepted this for too long. Its an integrated marketplace for everything these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could propose a better solution. Consider that you are expecting Adobe to provide support for cameras that are not yet released. How do you propose  they do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I could propose a solution. Adobe are informed well in advance of forthcoming camera releases. BTW this camera was released months ago just not in USA.

I appreciate everything gets updated.

There is support for orf files for the M5 and the difference in the code to recognize the MKII is minimal. Actually if you could remove a tag the MKII files have it would work but why should you need to 'hack'  something that should work right out the box.

The real solution is however - stop buying new models until the software works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is NOT advised well in advance about new camera models. They have to wait like everyone else for the camera to be released. Then they have to purchase the camera in order to be able to create profiles for it. Adobe is not in partnership with any camera manufacturer. As far as they're concerned, Adobe is just another company and they don't have to concern themselves with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you think that the benchmark editing software company has no links with camera manufacturers, has to buy a camera after release to reverse engineer the camera software to update their program.

I dont think so! Unless the pigs are refueled.......

Come on stop thinking everything Adobe is wonderful. I use their products, like everybody else, but they are not above criticism .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes Adobe gets a camera model a little early but what's important is that the model Adobe gets is an RTM version not a beta or pre-production model, otherwise something might change at the last minute and invalidate the work Adobe has done.

Sure you can hack the raws of an older model to work with a newer model, and they might work ok or they might not, but until Adobe creates and releases profiles for the new camera there could easily be something slightly off, not necessarily because the sensor is different, but that the electronics that offloads the data is actually adding or subtracting slightly from the signals so the white and black points are slightly different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

In general it was 'accepted' we wait for updates because in the past, camera's had a longer life. Nowadays new models come thick & fast but the software giants are dragging their feet & not reacting quickly enough (IMO).

New models are the life blood of most industries (see Apple). It will all collapse if, when we buy them, they don't work with the software.

I am now retired & have forgotten my adage when in business - Never buy the latest of anything, wait until its problems are fixed, especially cars & software.

Now I need to add camera's to that list.

What has been interesting is the acceptance of the situation by photographers amateur & pro, including most of my local camera club members. It is never mentioned by reviewers yet it is fundamental to the enjoyment of a new gadget in this post processing age.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That hypothetical GM truck that might not be usable at all due to lack of fuel availability is not a good analogy for a new camera such as the E-M5 II, which (while it waits for Lightroom support) performs perfectly fine when producing jpeg files and even can manage to function by having the ORF files processed in Oly Viewer (provided gratis by Oly). BTW, if Oly (and other camera makers) sold cameras as though they were "intended to work" in 3rd-party software such as Lightroom, they'd probably not be keeping the details of their raw demosaicing under proprietary wraps. If you have a gripe with that  (proprietary raw) state of affairs. then I'm with you. But it seems the finger pointing should be at the camera manufacturers, not Adobe (unless you know something Adobe could be doing --but is not-- to change the way things work).

I received my E-M1 back in October 2013 (more than a month after it had begun shipping) and I seem to recall that the E-M1's supporting Lr update (5.3) came in December.  I was pleasantly surprised...just a 6-week wait. Others (earlier adopters) had been waiting nearly 3 months. Does that make it "right"? Eh, no one twisted anyones arm to buy when they (and I) did.

Finally, even if Adobe had support for our new camera ready just hours after the model was introduced, I think they'd be justified in deciding to delay (at least somewhat) any Lr update until they could also  include support for some number of other, recently issued models. Getting a timely ( and probably unique) update for every new camera would be nice, and perhaps it would actually happen for certain CaNikon models; but it doesn't seem practical with new cameras coming along "thick and fast". I certainly  don't expect any special treatment my Oly digicams, with their very modest market share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told yesterday by Oly that RAW files are supported by Lightroom, except for the HD files which will be supported in future.  Adobe was no help with my question, so I am going to have to test it myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes orf raw is supported in LR5 but NOT the orf files from an M5 MKII. As I said previously the only difference is a 'tag' identifier, so the M5 files are recognized but not the MkII.

I too have talked with Oly & they are waiting on Adobe to include the MkII.

So the camera is going thru its learning curve with jpg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Not what Oly told me yesterday. They said MKII supported in Lightroom except for HD RAW files. It is very annoying when they don't know their product and what is supported and not.

I have an M5 and was going to upgrade tomorrow.  I shoot only RAW and use Lightroom exclusively. This may change my mind if I can't get RAW in Lightroom with the MKII.  Any workarounds you know of? Thanks for the info.  C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will use email to reply Chris.

I have had the camera for nearly 2 weeks now. It has no support by any software except MacPhun’s Intensify. My camera club has members with every conceivable editing software & thats the only one we have found that can handle the files from my camera. Problem with Intensify is it exports only in its own format .mpi.

The only way at the moment is to export a tiff file from the Viewer program supplied with the camera then import into LR5 et al BUT a 17mb ORF becomes a 90mb tiff file. Not workable IMO.

I personally use LR5.7.1 & assure you it does not import ORF from the MkII. Nether does PSE12 or 13, Aperture, Photo’s, ACR, DNG convertor etc etc.

Its simply a tag I believe that identify’s the camera & the tag is different for the MkII obviously.

Seems a wait until LR6 is announced when a new ACR will then be issued.

‘best

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tom299 wrote:

I too have talked with Oly & they are waiting on Adobe to include the MkII.

So take a leaf out of Olympus' book, Tom.

Wait.

They'll know the truth of what happens in Adobe providing Lr support for a given camera.

Clue:

tom299 wrote:

So you think that the benchmark editing software company has no links with camera manufacturers, has to buy a camera after release to reverse engineer the camera software to update their program.

is exactly what happens. And we don't think it's true, we know it's true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading Chris's message, I checked again in Lightroom. This time there was a change in that on trying to import the ORF files the images displayed on screen, whereas previously they had been blank. I thought all was going to be well, but on trying to import into Lightroom and then Photoshop, I received the same annoying message that the camera wasn't supported. I bought the Mark II from Ffordes Photographic and I informed them of the problems a few days ago. I know they have been in touch with Olympus, but still haven't been able to find a solution to either the standard or HD RAW files. I also downloaded a trial version of DXO Optics Pro 10. The support team there have confirmed to me that the Mark II isn't supported although the E-M1, E-M5 and E-M10 are, and suggested that I put in a request for the camera and lenses. They suggested that they do respond positively to customer requests, and I must admit that they were very swift and helpful in responding to my initial enquiry. I have made requests for the Mark II together with the specific lenses I own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for the raw files from each and every new camera model introduced has to be commenced after the camera is sold commercially. Profiles have to be built and tested before they are released.

Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw Plugin updates for new cameras are released approximately ever three months, so there could conceivably be between one to three month wait.

This is not only Adobe similar procedures are used by most if not all third party providers of raw processing software.

See the screen capture for the version of ACR and LR that contained support for the E-M5, E-M1 and E-M10 as an example.

Image00329.jpg

LR 4.1 issued May 29, 2012; Camera announced Feb 8, 2012

LR 5.3 issued Dec 11, 2013; Camera announced Sept 10, 2013

LR 5.5 issued Jun 18, 2014; Camera announced Jan 29, 2014

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info.

Link to list of supported camera models. Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Link to all prior updates for Lightroom since inception. Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows

This info will indicate the procedure used for additional camera models support. It is not a mystery.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when should we expect the support for the E-m5 Mark II to be added ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, in the next release. That could be another update to Lightroom 5, or it could be Lightroom 6. As far as when that will happen, only Adobe employees who are involved know that answer. Any dates that you see mentioned are pure conjecture. Adobe never announces release dates in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim...I guess I will hold off on the purchase then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines