• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 Conditional Text Not Applying in Webhelp Output

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping you all can help. Using RH10. I have many projects that are compiled with a different conditional text (online vs print, etc). For the last release cycle, although the Project's content Conditional Build Expressions list excludes the text appropriately:

That text still displays in the WebHelp output:

I didn't change anything in the way the compiled help is being generated since the last release. I double checked that last release's output to be certain. This is what it should look like:

Did some change in an upgrade?

Has anyone else run into this?

How do I fix it without rebuilding a project that has 100s of files?

Thanks...

Dawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Circling back to answer this one. I found that the way the browser cached files was part of the problem. Additionally, there were indeed projects that had not had the conditional text applied. While I still stumble across this from time to time, it's generally that the conditional text is not right and the project needed to be regenerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, haven’t noticed any change in my RH10 Webhelp output – have you had a look at that example’s topic? What’s the HTML look like? Are you seeing the correct CBTs applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, I am seeing the correct CBTs applied, yes. I confess, it's been a while since I checked it, but this looks accurate:

<?rh-cbt_start condition="ONLINE" ?><a

href="SALES_OVW_DirectThroughStockOrders.htm">Direct-Through-Stock

Orders</a><?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="PRINT" ?> <?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="PRINT" ?><span

style="font-style: italic;">Direct-Through-Stock Orders Overview</span><?rh-cbt_end ?><?rh-cbt_start condition="PRINT" ?>

in this section<?rh-cbt_end ?>

It's so ODD that it's doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the .cpd file of the project outside of RH and then reopen it? Won’t hurt anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

No dice...but I did discover something. I have a master project that references about 80 others. This conditional text issue is happening in the sub-projects. When I compile to the network for all of these projects, the conditional text isn't respected. But I just tried a local compile to my desktop and it worked fine.

Do you have any experience with master projects? The output files should be controlled by the sub-projects, not the master. I've never had this issue before.

I'm stumped.

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, nope, no experience with master/child projects; but I always compile locally first (with a short path to the \!SSL!\ folder) and then move the created files to wherever they need to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs are compiled, WebHelp is generated and published. If your project is on a local drive, you must also generate to your local drive, then you can either publish to the webserver or upload the help in some other way.

You say it works OK when you compile locally so if you mean when you generate locally, it would not surprise me that you get errors if you generate to the network. I can't say that is the reason for sure but it could be.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. (I've been using terms incorrectly.)

I've been generating WebHelp files like this for many years, and this has only just arisen with my last published release files. But it's worth trying Jeff's suggestion to compile locally and then copy the files; it's just never been necessary before, so I don't know what's changed. My process has been the same, but it's possible that I inadvertently selected a box some place.

I did get a message from the RoboColumn folks that it may be a bug. They are investigating.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “RoboColumn folks”? LOL- that’s just Colum McAndrew (aka The RoboColum(n) - www.robocolumn.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. Thanks, Jeff. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Circling back to answer this one. I found that the way the browser cached files was part of the problem. Additionally, there were indeed projects that had not had the conditional text applied. While I still stumble across this from time to time, it's generally that the conditional text is not right and the project needed to be regenerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp