Exit

Scaling embedded MP4 videos in Responsive outputs

Mentor ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I am using RH11 as part of TCS 5.

I have embedded an MP4 video in one of the topics. When I test it on my mobile (Nexus 5 running latest version of Android) from our LMS, the video is not scaled.

How do I solve this? Is there a way to fix it within RoboHelp? Should I scale it outside RH and then import it here? If yes, how do I manage it for different devices, for example a larger one for tablet and smaller one for mobile?

Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know enough about mp4 videos – are they expected to be able to resize themselves? What program is creating them? If Captivate, wouldn’t publishing them as HTML5 output work better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Jeff. This is not a Captivate video. As of now, I have inserted a video excerpt of a recorded webinar. But I have few other videos I need add in this course.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are mp4 videos normally expected to scale in web pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, but I don't think so. That is the reason I am looking for a way out in RH.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the moment, the best way to get MP4 videos to play in RoboHelp is to use them from Vimeo or YouTube and use the embed code that is provided. And I would ask that you (and hordes or others) please Please PLEASE bombard Adobe with requests to enhance the ability to insert video content into RoboHelp topics. It's a real sore point that is currently not well implemented and fraught with pitfalls.

Click here to file a wish form

You might also find that the link below helps some.

video - How do I embed a mp4 movie into my html? - Stack Overflow

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick – didn’t Willam post some blog post instructions for YouTube/Vimeo embedding recently? Ah yes, he did - http://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2014/11/26/adobe-robohelp-embed-youtube-video and http://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2015/02/07/adobe-robohelp-embed-vimeo-video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you embed MP4, the process is a bit differently. What you can do is use the <object> of HTML5 <video> tag. If you set the width to be a percentage (and leave the height blank), the video will scale. And if you use the HTML5 tag, your users will have native controls in the browsers. -- The only thing I'm not 100% sure off is whether the video tags survive an SSL generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Willam. Your solution works when I tested on desktop. I will test it on a couple of devices tomorrow and confirm it.

Captiv8r‌ Publishing to YouTube and other places is not an option for us now. I will definitely raise a feature request.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp