Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Breadcrumbs

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm currently trialing RoboHelp 7 and love the new breadcrumbs feature. But, at the top of my help topic I use a table cell as a kind of 'header' to the topic. How do I get the breadcrumbs to appear in my table cell, or just below it? So far I can only find a choice to place them at the top or bottom when I am generating my output. Placing at teh top puts the breadcrumbs above my table cell.
You can actually see an example of what I want to do by looking at teh help file supplied with RoboHelp!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

L

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No replies :(

Is everyone lost about what I'm talking about here?

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi L

I don't believe lack of a response here means that we aren't understanding you. But your post seems to imply that the RoboHelp help file behaves as you are seeking. When I look at it, the breadcrumb trail appears to be below the image or table cell or whatever they are using.

As RoboHelp is inserting this on the fly during the generation process, I'm doubtful you will be able to influence anything at the time it is generated. Any solution you will find will likely involve manually editing each of the files after you generate. You might use something like FAR or BkReplacEm to manipulate the files.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was another thread on this subject and I did some work on this with the poster.

I inserted the word "breadcrumbs" in a topic and then generated the help. If you then open the topic in the output you can see the breadcrumb script and move it to where the word "breadcrumbs" appears.

But it's not that simple. The same script also affects the Show hyperlink and if the topic is opened other than with the full tripane, then the appearance will not be what you want.

The other issue is creating a Find and Replace that will move that amount of script as it will be different in each topic. We came to the conclusion that Regular Expressions would be the only real fix and that it would not be an easy one to write.

The poster believes his colleagues may have that skill and will investigate. However, he got married last Saturday so he may be thinking of other things right now!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2007 Nov 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and Peter for your replies.

It seems to me that the RoboHelp help file is 'false advertising' the breadcrumbs feature then. I want the breadcrumbs to appear underneath my table cell that I use as a top banner, and it just so happens to appear like this in the RoboHelp help file!

I wondered if the breadcrumbs would comply if I made this banner into a proper topic header. Unfortunately my trial copy is on a different PC that I only have access to on Thurs and Fri so I haven't been able to play with this yet. I certainly don't want to make life harder for myself by playing with the code too much.

Ta ra,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liz

I don't have access to the help file right not but if you want to grab a screenshot of the relevant part and send it to me via my site, I'll see if I can figure how they did it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter and Liz

Peter, I just posted an image of what I believe Liz is referring to at this link.

Liz, I'm thinking that this is perhaps a specialized implementation of help. Maybe even something we will see emerge later as a standard RoboHelp feature. This is just one opinion and you are certainly entitled to your own, but if a manufacturer creates a specialized version of something (think Microsoft here, as they do it all the time!) I don't think it means false advertising. They say RoboHelp does breadcrumbs. And it certainly does. Maybe not like you are expecting just yet, but there are indeed breadcrumb trails.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could that simply be top left aligned below a header? If so, that is defined in the help generation wizard.

Liz' problem, as I understand it, is her header isn't truly a header so in effect she is seeking to have the breadcrumbs in a custom location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Rick- yes, that is exactly what I want to see in my help file. At the moment, my breadcrumbs appear above the table cell that I use as my little header.

Peter- next time I can get to the machine where the trial version of RH7 is installed, I'll try creating a proper header in my topic then generate the help and see where the breadcrumbs appear. Actually a custom location would be a great feature, because I would ideally like them to be inside my header row!

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Ta ra,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know this was posted a while back but I think a possible solution to this might be to create a frameset with the header in the top frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2008 Aug 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Im trying to so the same thing.

I have created a template and in that i have added a header. But when i generate the help, the breadcrumb appears above the header which looks awful! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp