• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5.7 and a brand new Nikon D7200. I upgrades LR3.x to 5.7 and now i am unable to import NEF files. Is there a solution? did i do something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

What you did wrong is expect an unsupported camera to work. I don't see this camera here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

In fact it's not even on the newly released ACR 8.8 list. I'm guessing you'll have to wait for the next update cycle (2-3 months).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you did wrong is expect an unsupported camera to work. I don't see this camera here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

In fact it's not even on the newly released ACR 8.8 list. I'm guessing you'll have to wait for the next update cycle (2-3 months).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically my camera is to new to work wit LR5.7??
But... a NEF file, is a NEF file. Ok, it bigger (24MP camera) but not IMHO different.

2 to 3 months waiting for the new relase? ok... thats a bummer. ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not IYHO be different but it is in fact different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question. I set the camera up for Raw + jpeg fine, realizing that the Raw side was unsupported. But LR 5.7 won't recognize the jpeg either. I can bring the jpeg into iphoto but not the nef. Any ideas why Lightroom won't read the jpeg?

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom supports cameras based on the model number. That is why support has to be added for every new camera. The D7200 is so new that it isn't even supported in Camera Raw 8.8 which was released just yesterday (3/19). You will either have to use software provided with the camera or just shoot JPEG for maybe a couple of months. It won't do any good to pout and scream in the forum or go through the blame Adobe process because it isn't going to change anything. Wait a couple of months or so, and the problem will all be in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I'm not pouting. Did you read my post? It said that the jpeg won't import either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "But... a NEF file, is a NEF file. Ok, it bigger (24MP camera) but not IMHO different."

I am pretty sure that each and every Nikon camera module produces its own unique "NEF" raw file, even if the changes are scuttle and not identified by the camera manufacturer. If they go through the research and development to produce a new camera model I am pretty sure they are attempting to produce some improvement over an earlier model.

Why would one consider purchasing a new model that produced no improved image rendition even if it was processing enhancements.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEF or NEF is different. Thats a fact. We learned that here now. More and different bits and bytes in one file called: 1234.NEF
but, if it's zo different than the .NEF file before, why do they use the ext .NEF and not .NEX or .NE2
A MS Word Doc has the ext .doc and the new ones .docx  due to all the new info in the files.
Probaly something above my head. And something that i will never understand. 
I will shoot only in JPG until the NEF can be read in LR5.x. I have patience : )  
Problem solved for now. thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, I would hope that 2-3 months is not the case. I will cancel my subscription to Adobe Cloud for 2-3 months until they support it. Why pay for a service (Cloud) that can not keep up with new hardware. $30 over 3 months just to wait for them to get caught up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And not have access to Photoshop and Lightroom for that period of time? A radical thought, shoot JPEG + raw while you are waiting. You can use the Nikon software to experiment with raw images, and Lightroom and Photoshop for the JPEG images. The new Nikon D5500 made it into the Camera Raw 8.8 update, but the 7200 is just too new. You might have to wait a little bit. But it will eventually be updated and everything will be in the past and none of it will matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you recommended, and even tried just shooting a regular jpeg from the beginning. It still won't work. Im finding its because the exif data isn't supported yet in Adobe. (Nikon D7200 does not exist in Adobes world yet). Hoping they can fix this soon as I have some client work to do this week

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a shoot last night and ended up importing jpegs into Photoshop and then moving them into Lightroom. I hate jpegs. This sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your LR Preferences has 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos.' The unsupported D7200 camera raw files won't import, but the camera JPEGs should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a great suggestion! done. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since LR can't import your D7200 NEFs I suggest using Windows Explorer, Finder, or Nikon software utility to initially move your memory card image files (NEF + JPEG) to hard drive. That way the NEF files will be added along with the JPEGs to the destination drive location. Next import the JPEGs using the LR Import module with 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos' checked in Preferences. Once LR supports the D7200 NEF use 'Synchronize folder' or the Import module to add the NEFs to LR's catalog. Check menu item Library>  'Show Photos in Subfolders' in the Library module, or 'Include Subfolders' in the Import module, and select the top-most folder that contains the D7200 NEFs. I create a top-level folder with the camera model name for each camera body (Canon 5D MKII, Canon 600D, etc.) and import memory card files into subfolders with name YY_MM_DD. That makes it easy to check for files that were previously added, but for some reason (like this one) not imported into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SIR!!! this is Perfect. Still SUCKS to not have RAW for a bit, but still being able to use the power of LR5 for the JPEG is great.

I greatly appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANKS!!!

ALOT MORE HELP THAN ADOBE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is crazy.  After reading jono64971679 posting I check. Set the camera to RAW + JPEG FINE and Lightroom will not see the JPEG.... WHAT THE!!!!!

If I use the new 'effects' and play with those that produce JPEG, LR5 does see them. Preview on OS X can read them but Lightroom can not? the NEF files show as 'preview unavailable' but the JPEG are not even showing up?

This has to be fixed.

JimHess - Not sure why I should PAY Adobe to not hurry to fix this. It is SOFTWARE!!! It blows me away that NIKON could not provide the format to ADOBE before the release of the camera, and the whole point of cloud and agile development is to permit quick changes.

I can use Nikon's 'Capture NX-D' to convert the NEF to JPEG and use iPhoto to manipulate them until Adobe get's their act together. I can imagine the MESS of having 3 months of 'jpeg' in the catalog, then try to bring in the RAW to do real touch ups, but you already did some to the JPEG.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH

this SUCKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, have it your way. Every time someone purchases a brand-new camera we get someone like you who just doesn't get it. I think you will find you won't have the option of simply stopping your subscription for three months. It will be considered a cancellation, and you will probably be charged a cancellation penalty. But go ahead, give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though this is not productive, and to those on the thread, my apology, JimHess‌I have had the service for greater than a year and I am month to month  - so I would be surprised if there is a cancelation fee. With Respect To the 'do not get it' the camera is 2 days on the market, so yes, I do understand no support right now, but, as you stated in your earlier post, 'a couple of months' THAT is what I do not understand! I do not know if you work for Adobe, or just a user but that is where my comments started.

In My Humble Opinion 2-3 weeks, that is something understandable. Now, it is up to Adobe, a business, to make the decision of how many resources they put on this, and thus the timing. As a consumer the only 'vote' I have is my dollar!

The cloud market is great for companies that get a constant revenue stream to fund their business, verse perpetual licenses where they obtain lumps of business from upgrades. When they build a new version with enough value to drive their install base to move/pay for the next upgrade. To the consumer the value of the cloud, should be continues and timely enhancement and not waiting for long next release schedules. That is why over the next few years I will give more money to Adobe that buying perpetual licenses, the continues and timely updates.

I will let you have the last comment on this, as I am done on the negative side.

What is more useful is posts like trshaner who is showing novices like me how to continue to use the product through features in the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kcossabo just some additional info, this is a user to user forum so the replies you get here are from users like yourself and not usually from Adobe staff. The info provided by Jim with respect to the time frame for updates to Lightroom and ACR is based on experience and past history. The attached screen capture should illustrate the history of Lightroom update over the past three / four years.

LightroomUpdates.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will continue to TWEET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Nikon supply the new file formats to a competing company? Next you will think that Canon does not have the same "problem" with its new camera releases.

Use Nikon's software to convert the NEFs to TIFs until Adobe updates its software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe‌ , I did not think Nikon and Adobe to be competitors, but rather part of an ecosystem. If they are you are correct, why would the EVER provide it? My comments are just around the way I assumed the photography market worked, and I could be wrong, that the hardware manufactures rely on companies like Adobe and Apple, and Avid as part of an ecosystem. If that was the case, then I would think Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would give prerelease information to Adobe under a NDA to help their product at launch.

I am a novice that just 12 months ago started to shoot in RAW. I heard it was better, and I feel that I have more control of the photos in LR5. I think this is a common belief. Now that I upgraded to the newest Nikon 7xxx series I have lost this capability for an unknown time frame, but one that was posted here as being MONTHS. I tweeted about the lack of support in Adobe LR5 and the Nikon D7200 last night in hopes that other consumers, looking at the camera do not get stung like I did. I traded  in a camera with a supported format of LR5 to one without. That is why I thought Nikon would cooperate with Adobe in a prerelease, so that they could SELL the new hardware faster!

The Nikon D7200 is a DX formatted non-PRO camera, but I would think support in LR5 would be a value to Nikon, not a competitive threat. They improved the sensor (from my D7000) and provide RAW capabilities, I am surprised to think that they do this in a hope that Adobe does not support this?

P.s. I write this in a HOPE that someone from Adobe reads these, as I can not change anything, just sit and wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines