Exit

"Insert Image" will not take my file

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2007 Nov 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp HTML, WebHelp
1) Edit a topic and place the cursor in the body text
2) Click "Insert Image" , then click on the folder button to the right of the "Image Name" box
3) Navigate to the local disk c:, locate the .gif file I want, select it and click open
4) The "Image Name:" box is empty when I should be seeing the file path

Can it have something to do with the fact that I am not using the "My RoboHelp" folder?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 08, 2007 Nov 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not working on a network, are you?

If so,,,don't do that!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean, exactly? Obviously Captivate must work in a networked environment otherwise it would be practically useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a RoboHelp forum. RoboHelp projects should not be run over a network as they use underlyingn MS Access DBs. Your RoboHelp source files must always be used on a local drive and backed up to a network drive. Do you have a Captivate question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo - Captivate should have been Robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Robohelp files, as far as I know, are on the local drive. I did read that I need to work locally to increase performance, the documentation did not say that it was a requirement. I did install it locally. However, the "My Robohelp" folder was installed automatically on the networked drive. I can only get my images if I first put them into the 'My Robohelp" folder on the network.

So I have the problem of being forced to put images on the networked drive. How do I fix this? Why must the images be in the "My Robohelp" folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point of clarification.

When you say "it is against the licensing agreement" I believe that you are referring to the program and not the data files. You cannot install a single person license of a software program where more than one person can use it. What I am referring to here are my data files, the input for my Robohelp project.

So: Robohelp the program is on my drive, only I am using it.

My question is about my image files and how they are not recognized unless they are on a networked drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about the licensing question. Harvey's point though was having the source files located on a network drive. I assume you are using RH7 if you are referring to "My RoboHelp" folders which is a sub-folder of your "My Documents" folder? Beware that this is not all that it seems. Even though it appears to be a local drive, it may not be. Click here for more of an explanation. I'd not use this folder at all. Setup a folder off your C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good article. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts.

I have the opposite problem. Why won't it recognize images outside of the "My RoboHelp" (yes, 7) folder? Why is "My Robohelp" on the network ( I think I know this one). Is there a pointer somewhere I can change? The images are the only external files I am using, all other data are created or text pasted into Robohelp 7. If "My Robohelp" is new to 7 then I think this narrows down the issues.

Maybe this is a bug in 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of other useful articles on that site. The My RoboHelp folder is new to RH7. I haven't got RH7 installed here (at work) but I have at home. If I get a chance, I'll run a few tests there although "she who must be obeyed" may demand my attention elsewhere. Maybe someone else can respond before I get the chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Here's the deal with the folder. Adobe is being proactive in assuming that your data should be separate from your project. Normally, My Documents will refer to a location on your local PC. But your IT staff may have configured something called "Roaming Profies". In this case, you should be able to walk up to any PC in the office and log in. Your customized desktop settings will follow you from PC to PC. But this means that the "My Documents" location is now on a network resource.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean that the only place I can store my data is in the "My Robohelp..." folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if that was the case. So RoboHelp must be run on a local PC. It is against the licensing agreement to do otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a set of projects and the project files are located on the local drive of the PC, but in a different directory. I think as long as the files are located on your PC in *some* directory, you'll be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added an image from a network drive with no problem.

The thing is, all of the RoboHelp project files (everything within the project folder you created), must be on your local drive, whereas you can insert images or other objects like .pdf files from anywhere.

If your IT folks are doing things like silently moving folders for you, then they probably also didn't install RH properly. It must be installed under your username with full admin rights; otherwise, not everything gets registered properly.

Seems like your bugs might be internally generated.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot add files from anywhere BUT the "My Robohelp folder" on my network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2007 Nov 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you need to follow Leon's advice. It is certainly not a bug of Adobe's making

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2007 Dec 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is a bug as confirmed by tech support in the General Discussion thread:

"Unable to add new images to RoboHelp 7.0 project"

When the total number of characters in the path and file name exceed a certain number, this problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp