• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would it be possible to have 2 shared resources, one local containing all common topics and pictures for several projects, and another one remote containing all topics and pictures for collaboration purposes

Participant ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering, now that I discovered the advantages of Resource Manger, if it would be possible to have 2 shared resources, one local with common topics and pictures for several projects, and another one, remote, containing the whole projects, i.e. topics and pictures, for collaboration purposes.

The local one I intend to use it for my purposes to have common items (topics & pictures) updated in all projects where they appear, and the remote one I intend to use it together with my remote colleagues that might want to do changes in the topics.

This would mean that the common topics and pictures would be present in both resources, the local one as well as the remote one.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Isn't SVN a source control package?

I'm not sure, but RoboHelp *MAY* be able to integrate with SVN to control the projects and sharing.

RoboHelp does ship with RoboSource Control that could be used to provide source control. But if you already have a package in place, my thought is why reinvent the wheel? Just use what's there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, you don't like pushing the envelope much, do ya?

I'm thinking a blend of using the Resource Manager along with perhaps linking into Source Control.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your fast answer Rick.

I was merely wondering if it would be possible w/o having to use other products outside RoboHelp.

We are already using svn for a lot of other purposes and we are using that for the RoboHelp projects as well, however I was wondering if it would not be possible to have RoboHelp take care of the RoboHelp projects, and with svn to take care of the other things in the company.

Eventually, if it would be possible, I would think to sync all the local projects with the remote projects, then sync the local project with the local shared resources, and at the end sync the rest of the projects with the local shared resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't SVN a source control package?

I'm not sure, but RoboHelp *MAY* be able to integrate with SVN to control the projects and sharing.

RoboHelp does ship with RoboSource Control that could be used to provide source control. But if you already have a package in place, my thought is why reinvent the wheel? Just use what's there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is.

I do not necessarily want to integrate with svn, but use it separate from svn. I just wanted to have the topics available to my colleagues that might need to modify something in the documentation, and then be able to get those modifications automatically in my projects. It is not necessarily a version control desire, but to be "on the same page" in regards to the topics and pictures from them with everybody.

I guess, as you said, that if we already have the svn in place, we might as well use it w/o "reinventing the wheel".

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

We are looking at using both TFS and the Resource Manager but haven't quite figured it out.

How do we create the shared location for the Resource Manager if our content is in TFS?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can point the resource manager to a folder that is under version control. Only the version control actions will have to be done outside of RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can use source control for the same.

I see you are using SVN, robohelp does offer integration with SVN as well.

This link might be helpful for you: Integrating RoboHelp projects with Subversion « TechComm Central by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Anvinder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp