• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols not displayed correctly in output

Nov 09, 2007 Nov 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I've discovered that the symbol for a micron has been used throughout a large help project that I've inherited (Symbol font Alt+0109). The problem is that it looks fine within Robohelp, but once compiled, it is displayed as an "m". ARGHH!
I can't search for it, as the Search and replace tool also sees it as an "m".
Is there any way I can either get it to display properly in the output?
Or is there an easy way to search for it so that I can remove it, as painstakingly going through each file is going to take for ever?
Thanks for any ideas.
Regards,
cornish_fi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 09, 2007 Nov 09, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Unfortunately it doesn't say what the key combination is! As I say it doesn't solve your problem but may help someone else to do so.

Hello Colum,

Here is how I do it. In WYSIWYG mode, place cursor at insert point, press the space bar once then Shift+LeftArrow to select the space. Then select font: Format > Font and select Arial, Arial Unicode, Courier, Courier New, Times New Roman or Verdana then "Alt+0181" will insert the micron symbol that ren...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cornish_fi. This may not help but hopefully it will spark some magic inside someone else's cranium for a solution. The micron symbol can be entered via an "m" key if a certain key combination is used. I have a character set diagram that says this is so. Unfortunately it doesn't say what the key combination is! As I say it doesn't solve your problem but may help someone else to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Unfortunately it doesn't say what the key combination is! As I say it doesn't solve your problem but may help someone else to do so.

Hello Colum,

Here is how I do it. In WYSIWYG mode, place cursor at insert point, press the space bar once then Shift+LeftArrow to select the space. Then select font: Format > Font and select Arial, Arial Unicode, Courier, Courier New, Times New Roman or Verdana then "Alt+0181" will insert the micron symbol that renders in HTML (just tried it in RH5 and it generated just fine).

As to the Search-'n-Replace problem for cornish_fi, need to know what is in the project topic html code for the character.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

If you want to discover the codes that can be used for certain characters, try this.

1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type Charmap into the Run Dialog.
4. Click OK and the Windows Character Map applet runs.
5. Select the Font to be used.
6. Locate the character and click the Select button. This should reveal the keystroke to be used to produce the character. You simply look in the lower right corner of the dialog to see it.

Here is the bonus. Click the Copy button and the character is copied to your Windows clipboard. You may now paste it where you need it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GEWB,
Thanks for your reply. You're right. The micron symbol created like that does render in HTML.

Also, I hadn't thought of looking at the HTML code and searching for the code used for that symbol (e.g. <span style="font-family: Symbol, serif;">m</span>)
That really seems to work, so thank you very much.
That really has prevented me from tearing my hair out!
Regards,
cornish_fi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello cornish_fi,

You're welcome...glad I saved you some hair 'cause anyone my age knows how quickly it disappears!

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been thinking about this some more....well it's a slow Friday afternoon here! Is the language set in the File > Project Settings the same as your PC's settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, Colum.
Yes, the language specified in Project Settings and in the Regional Settings on my PC are the same.
cornish_fi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I haven't experienced this in Robohelp, I have seen this type of thing throughout the years with special characters (eg checkmarks and bullets). Typically, the problem occurred when I created a document on one computer and then tried to view it on another computer that didn't have the correct fonts installed. The solution was to install the font on the second computer. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you might check out which font you are using within Robohelp and ensure that it is supported on the computer where the outlook is displayed. I know that there is a way to specify a Font Set within Robohelp so you could search the RH for hwo to do that. Since the HTML coding is correct, you shouldn't have to go through the brain damage of replacing the character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy - you working in Word or HTML?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in RH HTML. But like I said, I haven't experienced this in RH, but I used to see it a bunch when I used Frame. We (the Tech Pubs group) would create these awesomely formatted documents with all sorts of cool special symbols for checkmarks and bullets. Invariably, when a new writer started with a new computer, everything would get screwed up until we loaded the right fonts on the new computer. I have also had problems in RH when I created a help system using Myriad Pro font. It looked great on my computer, but the output was awful on everyone else's (since they didn't have the special font). I had to use RH font sets to map Myriad Pro to Arial. But I don't know if this is the same problem feebeegeebee is experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who replied.
As usual you've come up trumps!
Cheers!
cornish_fi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp