Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics in multiple places in the TOC

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2007 Jul 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to insert a topic more than once in the Table of Contents? This is probably a strange request, but the problem has occurred because I have imported a manual written in Word, but part of it contains information already in my RoboHelp project. I was wondering if I could erase the duplicate information in favour of linking to what was already there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,

darkagn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jul 19, 2007 Jul 19, 2007
Peter's right: the TOC will get synchronized with the first instance (top to bottom) that it encounters. However, you can use redirect pages to get around this.

1. Create a new topic (and name it target_topic_name_redirect.htm as a visual cue for yourself). Make the Title the same as the target topic's title (which is the name that will appear in the TOC).

2. Remove all text from the topic in WYSIWYG mode (leaving a blank page).

3. In TrueCode, add this line to the other META tags (in any spo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can.

Create a project with one topic and see how many times you can add it. Post back when you reach the limit. :-)

Where I believe you might hit a wrinkle is TOC synchronisation. I believe it might go to the first instance in the project rather than the topic actually displayed.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's right: the TOC will get synchronized with the first instance (top to bottom) that it encounters. However, you can use redirect pages to get around this.

1. Create a new topic (and name it target_topic_name_redirect.htm as a visual cue for yourself). Make the Title the same as the target topic's title (which is the name that will appear in the TOC).

2. Remove all text from the topic in WYSIWYG mode (leaving a blank page).

3. In TrueCode, add this line to the other META tags (in any spot).
<meta http-equiv=refresh content="0;URL=directory_path/target_topic_name.htm ">

4. Drag and drop the redirect page to the desired TOC location.

Hint: The 0 (zero) is the duration time (none) that this topic will display before redirecting to the target topic. If you prefer to make this redirect available to the viewer, you can increase it to, say, 8 or 10, and provide some text such as "Retrieving this topic from the 'Configuration' section. Please wait a moment."

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon, that's exactly the sort of thing I was after (although I didn't really describe it at all well ! )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2007 Aug 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a similar problem, except different. My help file consists of chapters (books), where each chapter contains a number of topics which the user should follow in the order they are displayed. Some topics are identical across chapters and are reused (1 htm, multiple TOC pages).

My problem is that as soon as the user hits the Back button, the TOC synchs to the last topic, but in the wrong chapter.

Example: In ChapterATopic1 the user clicks a link. When clicking the Back button, the TOC is synched to Topic1 in ChapterB (same htm file, but wrong place in TOC). This interrupts the desired "workflow". Is there anyway to control this behaviour?

The obvious solution is to make identical htm files and use these in the TOC, but we'd like to avoid that for maintenance purposes.

Best regards,

Torgeir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought of using browse sequences, or some Previous/Next links at the top and/or bottom of each topic? Either method should sidestep the TOC altogether.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we've considered it, but we'd like to see if there's an easier solution. Thanks though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2007 Aug 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We decided to solve this by unchecking the "Auto-synchronize TOC" option in WIndows Properties. That way the user will not be confused by the TOC showing the wrong chapter.

Best regards,

Torgeir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2007 Nov 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What about use a snippet? (New with RoboHelp 7)
I needed to reference a topic several times in a table of contents
I create the topic and when it was finished I turned the body into a snippet
Now all I have to do is insert a snipped whereever I need it
To edit them all (even if I have 20) I just go to one instance, double click on the body (which is now a snippet). The snippet editor kicsk in, I do my work, save, and all my instances of that topic are updated.
In addition, this method allows me to edit the title of the topic which is useful if you have different audiences or if you cover multiple topics in one actual topic.

I don't have a large project so this may not solve the above problem.

No coding needed, which is why I bought RoboHelp in the first place.
Note: corrected language on 12/21/2007

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp