• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Flash with Lumension and files install, but .ocx does not register without manual regsvr32.exe

Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All 1050 of our PCs run Windows 7 Pro.  We update our patches, including Flash, with Lumension.  This worked fine until Flash Player 11.  Last year when we tried to update to 13.0.0.206 only a handful of machines successfully updated using either Lumension or a manual install.  All machines receive the same image and GPOs.  At the time I updated the machines manually using the regsvr32.exe command to register the .ocx files.  Obviously this is a terrible way to update over 1000 machines.  Can someone help me out?  What could be causing this issue and how to I resolve it aside from running a script on every machine for every version update? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You definitely should not have to manually register the OCX. If you're doing this something is definitely wrong, with either the deployment process or the file system permissions on 1000 computers, which I've not seen before.

I'm not familiar with Lumension. Which installer do you use, the EXE or MSI?  Please try to perform an install on one of the machines (not manually registering the OCX) and then provide the FlashInstall.log file located at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash using the instructions here How to share a document.  If the system is 64-bit there is another FlashInstall.log file located at C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash.  We require both files from a 64-bit OS.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick response. 

I have the log files ready to upload, but when I try to upload to the directed link (EchoSign) I receive an error message that reads "Failed Validation. Upload Skipped."  Is there another way I can get these to you?

Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you uploading each file individually, or did you zip the files into one archive?  I've not heard of issues when folks send TXT, LOG, or image files, which is normally what I ask for.  This FAQ describes the supported file formats and the excluded file formats: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat-com/kb/adobe-send-faq.html.  I don't see anything about  file size limitation on the FAQ, just number of files that can be sent at once.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The methods at Acrobat.com change all the time; it's sometimes hard to keep instructions accurate...

To upload files to Acrobat.com for sharing start at https://cloud.acrobat.com/files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the updated link, pwillener!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The log files should be available now. 

Shared Files - Acrobat.

Thanks for taking a look.  If there is any other information that might be helpful I'll be glad to dig it up.

To answer your questions, we install an msi using SCCM during the image process then (have historically relied on)  Lumension to update as needed.  These logs are from a newly imaged machine (64bit) that I updated from the Flash site.  Same issue with the ocx.

Thanks again.

Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lauren,

The OCX is failing to register due to an access denied error on the file.  This is normally due to corrupt permissions and Flash Player is unable to either remove the existing file or register the new file.

When you manually run regsvr32.exe to register the OCX, what account is being used?

When Lumension is being used to install Flash Player on the systems, what account is being used?

Flash Player requires access to several areas in the file system and the registry.  Incorrect or corrupt permissions on the file system or registry items can result in the access denied error.  We have a script that fixes the file system and registry permissions issues.  Please seeHow do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player? for more information.

Also, the log file you sent has information for 7 Flash Player installations.  The first successful install was 11.2.202.228 on May 7, 2012.  The second to last unsuccessful attempt was 11.4.402.265 on Sept 13 2012 and the most recent unsuccessful attempt was 17.0.0.134 on Friday, March 27 2015.  We normally release Flash Player updates every month.  How is your system configured to deploy updates?  Based on your first post I was expecting to see more install attempts, even with the access denied errors.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines