• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH Server 7 Necessary for HTML Help on Server?

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2007 Nov 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating RH Server 7. The reports, etc., could be useful, but my real need is to be able to publish/republish my HTML help files to the server in support of a .NET web app; that is, repost files ongoing with updates, as needed. Can I do this with just RH 7 (simple updates to the "live" content), or is RHS7 required, does anyone know or is anyone already doing this (perhaps with RH 5 or 6)?

Thanks.

Carl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can publish normal WebHelp output to a server without needing Server 7. That only is required for the reports, etc. (X5.0.2, RH6, RH7)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: MergeThis
You can publish normal WebHelp output to a server without needing Server 7. That only is required for the reports, etc. (X5.0.2, RH6, RH7)

I'll as the dumb question here...

So I can publish WebHelp or WebHelp Pro for server-based applications without Server 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, RollBarBound.

>So I can publish WebHelp or WebHelp Pro for server-based applications without Server 7?
Good question
One part yes, one part no! Some clarification is needed.
The word "server" is getting mangled here because you're talking about the RoboHelp Server 7 on the one hand and "server-based applications" on the other. Let's see if I can sort it out.

It sounds like WebHelp would be the most appropriate in your situation (without the RoboHelp Server). You would use WebHelp Pro *only* if you were publishing directly to RoboHelp Server 7. That said, you can also have that same WebHelp Pro project provide help to any server-based application.

Hope this helps.
john
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon,

This is good news.

Thanks again,

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon is absolutely right of course. However, one thing raised a red flag in your original post. You mention "HTML Help". If you meant to say "HTML-based Help" (WebHelp or FlashHelp) that would be fine. However if you literally mean HTML Help (the compiled .CHM) format, that would not be OK. The CHM format is not designed for web delivery. Instead it is meant for deploying on a user's local hard drive, typically installed with a desktop application.
Sorry to butt in. Just saying...
John
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks John - that clarifies it for me.

I'm tempted to explain how I understand it, but I think I'd rather keep the brain cells...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp