Missing Comment

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2007 Nov 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform: Win XP SP2
Product: RH6 HTML
SSL: WebHelp
Process: launch RH, open project, open document, view in TrueCode, insert comment after opening HEAD tag, generate SSL.
Expectation: comment will appear in the HTM file after WebHelp is generated.
Reality: comment is fails to appear in the HTM file after WebHelp is generated.
Miscellaneous: used same procedure with other files in project and got same results.
Actual content of comment: <!-- #INCLUDE Virtual="/Includes/TimestampConfirm.asp" -->
QUESTIONS:
Would you expect a comment entered into a file in TrueCode to appear in the HTM file after WebHelp is generated?
Do you know of any reason why a comment in TrueCode would not be generated into WebHelp?
Do you know of a way to get a comment into WebHelp using RH only (i.e., no third-party products)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by: The Gunslinger

Process: launch RH, open project, open document, view in TrueCode, insert comment after opening HEAD tag, generate SSL.

Do you know of a way to get a comment into WebHelp using RH only (i.e., no third-party products)?

Hello Gunslinger -

OK, I found a partial answer to your last question:
"Do you know of a way to get a comment into WebHelp using RH only (i.e., no third-party products)?"

I found that RoboHelp's Multi-File Find and Replace funct...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2007 Nov 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gunslinger -

You asked:
"Would you expect a comment entered into a file in TrueCode to appear in the HTM file after WebHelp is generated?"

Reply:
No.

You asked:
"Do you know of any reason why a comment in TrueCode would not be generated into WebHelp?"

Reply:
Yes.
TrueCode is not generated code; TrueCode is only indicative of the code that is generated. There are differences between the Project Topic HTML file and the corresponding generated WebHelp Topic HTML file especially between the <html> and <body> tags. Your "Expectation" is based on the incorrect assumption that TrueCode is the same as generated code.

You asked:
"Do you know of a way to get a comment into WebHelp using RH only (i.e., no third-party products)?"

Reply:
No, I don't but someone else may know.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2007 Nov 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try snippet 48 at this link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right Colum! Good find...

I figured someone would have a method.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't thank me. Thank Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The opening and closing paragraph tags were preserved in the output but the comment in between the tags was discarded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm thinking the issue may be able to be resolved by using JavaScript to perform a "write in" of the desired code. Click here to visit a page describing how to do a write in.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked but didn't work. In my original post, I skipped some details for the sake of brevity. I will provide them now.

We have a Web Content System written in ASP. A site administrator must authenticate (login with username and password) to maintain a site. We want to extend authentication to the WebHelp files that we produce with RH. That is, administrators can access our help files while logged in. Our plan is simple. Since RoboHelp outputs .htm files, tell the Web server (MS IIS) to process .htm files as .asp files. Have me, as technical writer, inject an ASP Include statement into the files that RH outputs. Finally, the developers manage the commands in the ASP include statement. This division of labor allows the developers to do what they do best while allowing me to author documents in RH.

The JavaScript WriteIn does what it is expected to do. Unfortunately, MS IIS won't look for an ASP Include statement in the middle of some JavaScript. In other words, JavaScript WriteIn writes the ASP Include statement but MS IIS won't parse it.

in order to protect the online docs that explain our proprietary product, I need some means of injecting code for the developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Well, I'm guessing that it's time for consideration of some post generation hokey pokey. I suppose I'd maybe take the following approach if I were in your shoes. I'd insert something like this:

<p>XXX</p>

Then after the WebHelp generation process, I'd use a search and replace utility to search for that text and replace it with your desired line.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that members of this community have the best intentions when they offer ideas for solving problems. I appreciate that this forum doesn't kill posts that mention non-Adobe products. But, I have a major concern. If this community keeps turning to outside products to get the job done, then Adobe has no motivation to improve RoboHelp.

Over the years, I used native Adobe products, as well as Adobe products acquired via acquisition. Time and again, Adobe made numerous improvements to its products. Yet, innovation seems lacking in RoboHelp. For example, the search and replace in Dreamweaver is far superior to that of RoboHelp. Yet, RoboHelp users seem inclined to buy another piece of software rather than push Adobe into finding a way to incorporate Dreamweaver's search and replace into RoboHelp. The innovation and code are already there, but nobody is pushing Adobe to share Dreamweaver technology with RoboHelp. Instead, they're willing to buy another product to get the job done. Why?

Part of my reason for pushing Adobe is that I work in an IT shop where we follow the basic premises of programming: scalaibility, reliability, robustness, security, and simplicity. I could use a second product to solve my problem but that violates the tenet of simplicity. That is, it adds a layer of complexity. If I run a second process manaually, then I must be sure not to forget a single file. If I automate the process, I need to build a routine (probably using a third piece of software) to be sure that the automated process worked as intended. I must also build in an alert mechanism (probably using a fourth piece of software) to notify me in case the automated process fails. Experience shows that greater complexity dramatically increases the likelihood of failure.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I encourage everybody to continue to share ideas. I also encourage everyone to realize that product users have influenced product development at Adobe. This community can help Adobe to improve RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know when I recommend another product it is so that the poster can get the show on the road today. I could post the link to the Wish Form and hope that one day Adobe does add whatever to the functionality. I don't think that is what the poster wants right at that moment though.

Behind the scenes the Adobe Community Experts do lobby Adobe to add features such as a greatly improved Find and Replace function and, before anyone screams, greatly improved Search functionality. It hasn't happened in RH7 as the focus has been on other things so hopefully those things will come in RH8.

Until then we have to recommend what is available now and hope that everyone wanting those features will hassle Adobe at every opportunity. As you will realise, there has to be enough noise to get something added. Also bear in mind that Dreamweaver and other programs have been active products for some years whereas RoboHelp went into a coma under Macromedia. We thus have to give Adobe some catchup time.

Please don't read any of that as disagreeing with anything you say or objecting to any of it in any way. I do agree with you. I am simply explaining that more goes on than might be apparent and that forum members have to do their bit in letting Adobe know what they want.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

The innovation and code are already there, but nobody is pushing Adobe to share Dreamweaver technology with RoboHelp. Instead, they're willing to buy another product to get the job done. Why?
Honestly, we are. As Peter says, the more people that give feedback directly to adobe, the more weight is put behind a request, which is why you will often see the Adobe Community Experts asking people to complete the product feature request. We are in the same boat as all of you, using these products day-to-day and having to find workarounds for features we dream about. I'd like to add that Adobe have been great listeners so far, the priorities don't always suite my needs, but I'm impressed with the responsive feedback, particulary during this Beta cycle .

quote:

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I encourage everybody to continue to share ideas. I also encourage everyone to realize that product users have influenced product development at Adobe. This community can help Adobe to improve RoboHelp.
Wholeheartedly agree with you. If people don't shout, they can't complain about the content of the next release.

Lastly, Adobe are not obliged to monitor these peer-to-peer support forums, so again, anyone who has any feedback or feature requests needs to act on them via the forms. The sooner the better as they are likely to be working on RoboHelp 8 as we speak:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: The Gunslinger

Hello Gunslinger -

OK, I found a partial answer to your last question:

I found that RoboHelp's Multi-File Find and Replace function will do what you want on the GENERATED files (not the Project files).

(These steps are for RHx5)
Generate your WebHelp project to your local drive.

Close the project but leave RoboHelp open. You should be at the "Tools" pane (left) and blank (right).

Double click "MultiFile Find and Replace". Click the "Browse..." button and navigate to the GENERATED folder (NOT the root of the Project folder).

Select *.htm* from the "Named" droplist.

Check (select) the "Include Subfolders" checkbox.

In the "Find" text box enter <head>

In the "Replace" text box enter <head><!--#include Virtual'"/whatever you need.asp"-->

Click the "Find" button.

In the Multi-File Find and Replace search results window click "Replace All".

That will fix MOST of the htm file but not all as RoboHelp generates a few htm files that do not have a <head> tag.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Fantastic! Incredible! The rest of the IT team will be very pleased. What a great way to end a day! Thank you, very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good Morning Gunslinger -

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp