Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help: External Links not coming properly in generated chm file

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am a new user of RoboHelp for Word/HTML. I am currently having Robohelp 6. But I have also used evaluation version of Robohelp 7.0. I am trying to convert .HLP files into .chm files.

I would like to give an example for explaining things:

Say I have two .HLP files say AHelp.hlp and BHelp.hlp. Now AHelp contains a link to some page (say VA_X.htm) in BHelp. And this link works correctly. When I generate CHM files from these HLP files, then though the link is correctly highlighted in AHelp. But it points to some incorrect page like BHelp.chm::/VA_X..htm. Whereas in BHelp.chm the name VA_X.htm has changed into say BHelp_Voltage_Amplifier_X.htm.

So what can I do to correct this problem so that the links are generated correctly?

Plz help!!

Thanks

Regards
TheIlliterate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can anyone help me with this problem? Aactually been waiting to hear from gurus out here....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. We "gurus" (ha!) are employees like you and have to balance responding against our workload. We do try to answer what we can when we can.
As to your specific problem, the way interhelp file links are handled between HLP and CHM files is different. I have to admit to not converting HLP files that had inter-help links so I may be off the mark here. That said, I suspect your course of action will be to go into each inter help file link and re-add it. You can do this by double clicking on the link, clicking on the "Remote Topic" option and selecting the CHM file to link to. You'll be asked to copy the CHM into the project directory and then you can select the correct topic.
I'm happy for someone else to chip in here if there is an easier way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Thanks for providing an answer :). But problem with above approach is too much manual work ..... I mean I have several such help files.... and they are heavily interconnected. Manually changing each and every link in the help project will be quite tedious :-s. Actually I am not able to understand why the name VA_X.htm(in BHelp.hlp) changes to BHelp_Voltage_Amplifier_X.htm in BHelp.chm. I think if the name remains same i.e. VA_X.htm in BHelp.chm. Then the hyperlink in the AHelp should work correctly. But what can I do to achieve this?

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Regards
TheIlliterate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you convert the winhelp project? Did you import the .HLP file or the .DOC file? Try the opposite method to the one you used and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported the .HLP file. Anyhow I am compiling some of my more observations and queries. I'll post them asap I am done. Wish i also find good solution to my problem so that I can share it with you Colum.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been thinking about this a little more - something I should have done at the onset
Why is it that only one imported HLP file has renamed the topics? Have all topics been renamed or just some? Is there anything unusual about them if they have? Have you tried created a new project and importing the .RTF file rather than the .HLP file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you want to send me your .HLP file, I'll do a test and see if I get the same behaviour. Contact me via my profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp