6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 5:27 PM by hologon

Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?

hologon Level 1

I have an X-E2 that has the Classic Chrome calibration profile with the new Fuji 3.0.0 firmware.

However, Lightroom 5.7 doesn't recognize that change, even though it does activate for the X-T1.

Is there a way to extract or convert the X-T1's profile and adapt or rename it to work with the X-E2 when working with RAW RAF files, rather than with the in-camera JPGs?

Alternately, is Adobe planning on enabling the Classic Chrome profile for the X-E2 since it has that profile in the new firmware?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Camera profiles like you are looking for are generally provided for Canon and Nikon camera models. Other brands, generally speaking, have one profile for each camera model. That profile is usually named Adobe Standard. While I can't speak for Adobe, I suspect that there will not be further development for your camera. You can adjust one of your raw files to match the JPEG as closely as possible and then created a preset. Or you can download the DNG profile creator and create your own profile. But I wouldn't be looking for additional profiles to be provided by Adobe.

• 2. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
            hologon Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for the response. Actually, the X-E2 shipped with six built-in profiles in the camera, which are reflected by the six calibration profiles available in Lightroom: Standard, Provia, Velvia, Astia, PRO Neg. Hi and PRO Neg. Std.

The X-T1 and x100T shipped with a seventh, Classic Chrome, which is activated and is in fact available in Lightroom 5.7.

The X-E2 had a firmware upgrade in December, 2014, that enabled Classic Chrome. Because the X-Trans sensors are effectively the same (or have substantially the same response), I'm interested in modding/hacking Lightroom's built-in profile for the X-T1 to permit its use with the X-E2.

It would be nice if Adobe simply enabled it on the X-E2, but I'm not confident that they would have much incentive to do that (even though the change, including QC, would take marginal amounts of time.)

• 3. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wasn't aware that those Fuji models had such a variety of profiles in Lightroom. The to Fuji cameras that I have are older models (really old), and they only have one profile. I don't know whether Adobe will update and provide that extra profile or not. Sorry, I can't provide any insight.

• 4. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The latest version of LR which is 5.7.1 was released Dec 15th with functionality finalized sometime before then.  The X-E2 firmware that includes Classic Chrome was released Dec 18th.  These camera-match profiles that simulate Fuji shooting modes, while not supplied as external .dcp files like other Adobe camera-match profiles, are still created by Adobe and coded into the software, and there's no way LR could duplicate something that Fuji released several days later.

The good news, or at least hope for LR users, is that Adobe's Camera Raw 8.8 plug-in for Photoshop does include the Classic Chrome profile as a selection for the X-E2, so Adobe has figured out how to do it:

The bad news is that there hasn't been a LR 5.8 to match the ACR 8.8 plug-in.

I believe this is because Adobe never intended to have even an ACR 8.8 but released it so people with the new E-M5 Mark II could work with their camera's raw files.  Getting a plug-in release ready is much easier than an entire LR program so I doubt Adobe will release a LR 5.8 and will go straight to LR 6, unless LR 6 is delayed for several more months.  From what I'd guess, there isn't a LR 5.x team that is independent of the LR 6 team, so if Adobe stopped work on LR 6 to push out a LR 5.8, that would delay LR 6 even further into the future, and there may be some hard date, like an international photography conference, somewhere, that Adobe wants to announce LR 6 at so they can't afford to delay it longer than it already has been.

Photoshop is paid for on a monthly basis, now, so announcements about what's new aren't as important as LR, which is still available as a standalone upgrade, so adding new features will generate more revenue for Adobe and the time to announce those new features will generate more buzz at some times of year than others.

• 5. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Jim the Classic Chrome profile for the Fuji X-E2 is included in the newest Adobe Camera Raw update, 8.8. So it will be included with the newer version of LR. Whether that will be LR 5.7.2/5.8 or LR 6 no one knows.

ACR Classic Chorme for X-E2.PNG

• 6. Re: Convert Fujifilm Classic Chrome camera calibration for X-T1 to X-E2?
                    hologon Level 1

Ah ha... thank you, ssprengel and Shootistbond007!

Guess I'll just have to wait it out for LR6. In the meantime, I guess I can keep using my old presets. They just don't have quite the same deliciousness as the OOC Classic Chrome JPEGs, but more often than not, I find that I end up doing heavy WB and dodging/burning to get it where I want it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's sooner rather than later! Thanks again.