• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open executable files with Vista

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Vista, what issues are known that would interfere with help.chm opening an executable file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more detail also wouldn't go amiss. Are you referring to you running RH on a Vista OS or users accessing a CHM running on a Vista PC? Also what RH version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp Office X5 and I think we are working on having people open them on a Vista PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None. A CHM file works the same under Vista as other windows OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish this were the case but it seems the way we are calling up the executable does NOT work under Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So tell us what the actual problem is. Exactly how are you calling the .EXE? What is happening when you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Javascript hyperlink on the picture and a hidden shortcut that goes to the folder where the .exe can be found. I hope I am explaining this properly. This stuff is all very new to me. But the .exe calls up in XP and not in Vista...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on a minute. Does the application you want to call run in Vista? Is it supported? In other words, can you run it on a Vista PC outside of a help file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it definitely runs outside of RoboHelp on a Vista PC. It's a video file made from an Adobe program (I can't remember the name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it definitely runs outside of RoboHelp on a Vista PC. It's a video file made from an Adobe program (I can't remember the name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate? What version? Only version 3 is supported under Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Hopefully you will pardon my unsolicited intrusion.

If it's a .EXE file, that's being opened, it's most likely Captivate. But Adobe does have other applications that create video. For example, Visual Communicator (my new favorite toy )

I say this because Captivate produces as one of its formats, .EXE output. So I'm doubtful Brook21679 is actually opening the Captivate application itself. More likely, just the .EXE that Captivate created.

Brook21679, I've seen similar behavior with Vista. You may wish to try placing the .EXE and .CHM in a different folder than where it currently is. I use both XP Pro and Vista. I've seen all sorts of weirdness with Vista as related to opening files. This whole new security model seems to be causing grief. At least for me. I don't have my Vista booted up at the moment, but you might also try right-clicking the .EXE and see if there are any permissions that can be set.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick! It is an .exe from Captivate that we are trying to open. I will try your suggestions and see what happens (although it would be easier if my company actually GAVE me Vista to test with-- haha). 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We are using Captivate 3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp