• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How importing text from Illustrator to InDesign ?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How importing text from Illustrator to InDesign, kepping it editable ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

If you choose the text in Illustrator using the Text tool, you can copy the (unformatted) text to the clipboard. In InDesign, make a text frame or click in a text frame and choose Paste.

Sadly, there is no way to retain the formatting on the text, but it is still editable. InDesign and Illustrator have incompatible text engines.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Hi Brussobaum5ECF,

you answered a thread from 2015.

Nowadays you could transfer formatted text as shared Text assets from Illustrator to InDesign through CC Libraries:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creative-cloud-libraries-sync-share-assets.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose the text in Illustrator using the Text tool, you can copy the (unformatted) text to the clipboard. In InDesign, make a text frame or click in a text frame and choose Paste.

Sadly, there is no way to retain the formatting on the text, but it is still editable. InDesign and Illustrator have incompatible text engines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making InDesign and Illustrator text engines compatible would be a great feature. Anywhere to vote for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay actually, in Indesign CC 2023 these Clipboard Handling settings work for what I was trying to do. Not sure if it helps anyone else! At least it retains the font.

Screenshot_20230120_121051.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH, THIS WORKS FOR ME TOO.

YOU HAVE TO CREATE A TEXT BOX IN INDESIGN IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE SAME TEXT FORMAT FROM OTHER APP LIKE FROM ILLUSTRATOR.

I'VE BEEN STRUGGLING ALL THIS TIME. AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally you can only copy n paste. But...

What if you wanted to preserve the look by means of Illustrator's paragraph styles? They don't directly export, yet here is a work-around:

You *might* try to Save As the Illustrator file to PDF; open the PDF in Acrobat Pro; choose Save As Other... to a Word doc (Acrobat XI); then file>place that. Oddly, you will get different generic paragraph style names, but the editable text will be tagged with paragraph styles.

I wish it were more harmonious than this work-around!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like such a basic expectation…that you can paste formatted text from one Adobe app to another. You CAN paste formatted text from Illustrator into Photoshop…why is Photoshop smarter than InDesign when it comes to typography. Absolutely confounding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to buy a 3rd party plugin like ID2PDF. It will convert PDFs (and this means also AI files) to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi,

I think you mean Markzware PDF2DTP for $199.00

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"they have incopatible textengines"

and you are all just completely fine with that right?  wtf.

Adobe is not able to change that thing for 10+ years because F*** it!

Copy text from one program to  another with styling is so basic even wordpad can do it.

What a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So use Wordpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a good answer to users that pay money. Copying and pasting are simple tasks. Also this is one of my problems too. I hope you undrestand what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is really disappointing. When I copy text from Adobe Illustrator to to Photoshop and After Effects it retains the text formatting. I was really shocked to find that this is not the case for Indesign when  it seems like they are closest to each other (Vector programs) and used widely for creating material for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a good answer... I have copy in Illustrator that needs to go into an InDesign layout and now I have to retype it, because of a stupid incompatibility that Adobe had 25 years to fix. I can't even copy and paste the text from Ilustrator to Notes, Pages, or Word... so either way I'm f***ed and have to retype it, or I have to save it as a PDF and then copy it from there.

Times like this when I want to completely make the transition to Affinity. I'm already 80% there, but this little glitch is pushing me to 90%. 🤬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't C/P from Illustrator to anything you have a serious problem that has nothing to do with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's called Adobe Illustrator 26.2.1.

I don't remember this ever being an issue and I've been using Illustrator since 1994.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still wrong answers, BobLevine. It has to do with both Adobe apps. The same problem persists other way around when trying to export formatted text from InDesign to Illustrator. It is the end of 2022 already. And there's still no ability to transfer basic formatting between two apps that are marketed as industry standard for design with extensive text work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greta5C58 What's wrong about it? The poster said that pasting from Illy to anything didn't work and now you completely twist that into C/P between AI and ID. Those are two separate issues.

I'm not a big Illy user but C/P between AI and ID seems to be vastly improved with the 2023 versions. With the clipboard handling set properly I can C/P text between AI and ID and it comes across as properly formatted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also export your text to a text file using Illustrator.

No retyping necessary.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Wordpad doesn't help if you want to import formatted text from InDesign to AI. It is placed as plain text even if it is formatted in InDesign before exporting as RTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if you set up your clipboard prefs correctly! It works fine.

InDesign formatted text, copied to clipboard.

2022-11-07_11-34-09.png

Pasted to Illustrator:

2022-11-07_11-34-27.png

Illy clipboard prefs:

2022-11-07_11-35-08.png

InDesign clipboard prefs:

2022-11-07_11-35-37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wordpad doesn't work for that, at least not for what I'm usually trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

affinity publisher is coming bro wait.... adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brussobaum5ECF,

you answered a thread from 2015.

Nowadays you could transfer formatted text as shared Text assets from Illustrator to InDesign through CC Libraries:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creative-cloud-libraries-sync-share-assets.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines