7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 6:44 AM by Szalam

Working with 60fps clips in 24fps Linked Comp

InterrobangMP Level 1

I am trying to use the time warp effect in Ae to alter the speed of the clip at different points in the clip.  So going from normal 100% down to 40% then back up to 100%, with a nice smooth gradation/ramping between speeds. 

This is easy enough to achieve, I know how to do this, but the problem I am experiencing is bringing the clip from a 24fps timeline in Pr into a linked comp in Ae.  The clip is 60fps, and is not conformed in Pr to 24fps.  But when I bring it into the 24fps Ae comp it is slowing the clip down, conforming it to the comps setting, i guess.  I just want it to play back in real time in Ae so that I can edit the time warp myself. 

It is especially a problem because now the comp length is way shorter than the clip, which makes working with it an absolute nightmare.

• 1. Re: Working with 60fps clips in 24fps Linked Comp
          InterrobangMP Level 1

Right, so I figured out what my problem is but have now encountered another, even more annoying problem.

My computer is not actually playing the comp back in real time.  So the box above the RAM preview panel is saying in red that it's playing back at a varying speed between 15 and 18 fps.  Even though the RAM preview frame rate is set to 24fps.  Fine, I'll get a graphics card to fix this problem.

The problem I am having now, is that when I slow my clip down to 40% speed, it is using frame blending to create the extra frames instead of the actually frames that exist in the 60fps footage!  So I am getting horrific blending artefacts on my slow mo.  Whole frame blending is way too choppy.  What the hell happened to my extra frames?

• 2. Re: Working with 60fps clips in 24fps Linked Comp
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How is After Effects interpreting the footage?

Interobang wrote:

My computer is not actually playing the comp back in real time.

Fine, I'll get a graphics card to fix this problem.

That might not help as AE uses the GPU for very little. How are you doing your RAM preview? What are your computer specs? What exact version number of AE are you using? What happens if you RAM preview in a comp without time remapping or time warping? Etc. FAQ: What information should I provide?

• 3. Re: Working with 60fps clips in 24fps Linked Comp
              InterrobangMP Level 1

I've not asked After Effects to interpret the footage.  I have gotten past that.  As I mentioned in the update, it was looking like it had interpreted the footage, because it was playing back slowly.  The footage in the project window is saying that it's 60fps.

I am using Ae CC 2014, monthly subscription, so it w