• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with InDesign CC 2014 on dual monitors since updating to OS X 10.10.2

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Using a MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3). Ever since Apples latest update to OS X Yosemite (10.10.2) I've had problems with InDesign CC 2014 not working correctly on my second Monitor (an Apple Cinema Display). For instance, When I size a window to fill a screen the top bar is hidden behind the menu bar, but leaves space down at the bottom of the screen. Also, whenever I try to insert an image using or anything else that requires a dialogue box that allows me to search for files, half the box is cut off by the top of the monitor and I can't move the box to an area where I can work with it.

Has anyone else had these problems? IF so, can you tell me how to fix them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

It appears that the 10.10.3 update fixes this problem.

Has anyone else tested it in the newest update?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve seen a few reports of issue with dual monitors. I suggest posting in the Apple forums.

Nothing changed in InDesign so it seems that Apple is the one to talk to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had problems with palettes on 2nd monitors jumping halfway down the screen on a 2nd monitor after the 10.10.2 update. Strangely, it just seems to affect InDesign CC 2014, Photoshop CS 6 and Illustrator CS6... I even tried re-installing Illustrator CS6 as a test and still had the same issue.

I fired off a bug report on this earlier today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also ran into this with AI CS6 and PS CS6 today...trying to figure out how to go back to 10.10.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got tired of putting up with it and reverted back to 10.10.1 - Works fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you CAN revert back... any quick tip on how to do that? I'm new to Mac and haven't found any straight forward way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I solved it: my display setup was such that I aligned all displays in OS X Preferences at the top.

As soon as I aligned them all at the bottom (see screenshot, left Display was the problem)  the strange bug went away...Schermafbeelding 2015-02-05 om 16.09.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Frans van der Geest for the fix - it has stopped my palettes jumping around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

top or bottom aligning of the screens seems to kinda-work as long as you don't restart Illustrator and Indesign or change external monitor (I have three different setups that I rotate through), it is recommended to have a high tolerance of where the application window springs up (tends to be slightly random).

I wonder where the fault is though, is this an apple or adobe problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changed? That’s generally the place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I could experience the system expects the bigger external display to have exactly the same screen size as the main display. Everything that happens in Indesign CC outside of that screen area makes the mouse jump, clicks on the document make it jump around and objects are not selectable anymore.

Do a restore with a Time machine backup to the date before you updated to 10.10.2.

I went back to 10.10.1 and all the problems with the jumping windows went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frans' suggestion seems to have worked for me. Thank Frans!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. The application frame doesn't jump around anymore but the dialogue windows are half off the top of the screen. I also checked to make sure the monitors have separate spaces in Mission Control. Still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I've got it fixed. I went to System Preferences and arranged my two displays to be aligned in the MIDDLE and suddenly it seems to be okay. It seems like perhaps it depends on your individual set-up and monitor arrangement so it's worth playing with the alignment to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lauragilberdesign, are you having any problems with the window jumping around. I set it to middle and the dialogue box problem fixed, but the jumping window has not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gtbernstein, I am happy to report that I have not had any further issues since I adjusted the alignment of the two monitors in System Settings. Note that I had to tweak the precise position a couple of times until it was perfect. For me, it was somewhere near the middle. No more jumping, nothing is cut off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me. I usually place all my palettes on my laptop screen and use the main monitor as an uncluttered canvas. Unfortunately the palettes stopped working when I moved to InDesignCC, until I aligned my monitors at the top edge. Slightly inconvenient but only lost about 45 mins (still a ball-ache though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU this worked!!! 

I was about to lose my mind—every time I clicked on a palette it jumped to the bottom of the screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me for a few days yet now InDesign is not responding on the second screen. I have made three work spaces for screen aligned to bottom and screen aligned to top and none are working. Yet I've realised that I have the problem only with InDesign and not of the other CC Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you CAN revert back... any quick tip on how to do that? I'm new to Mac and haven't found any straight forward way to do that.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I backup my computer weekly so I just restored my machine back to 10.10.1.

But it looks like Frans Van Der Geest has found a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike. Guess I may be too late for the restore. I don't want to lose files at this point.

I tried that work-around from Frans Van Der Geest but it doesn't work for me. All it does is change where the screens think the top is. If I align them to the top, the it works better by a bit but my popup menus show up low, or a dialog shows up above the top of the screen and I have a hard time finding it or dragging it back onto the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, I was really hoping that'd be the workaround... Well, that's a royal pain. I filed a bug report with Apple fwiw. All I can suggest is everyone else who has this problem do the same... and hopefully they'll get around to fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it solved my problem, but it does not seem to be a real fix for other, sorry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any response on this bug yet? This problem is annoying me big time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Indesign crashes on dual monitors every time I try to delete or move a page. So annoying. I just updated to the latest version and it is still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines