Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Update won't run properly on my Windows Vista / IE 9

Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problems with updating the Adobe Flash Player. The player is installed and recognizes that an update is available. I select to download and install the update and an internet explorer window opens and I am given the opportunity to click the "Download Now" button. However once i do the screen changes for a while to a progress bar titled "Step 1 of 3" and "Initializing" which then changes to "Step 2 of 3" that shows "If you encounter any issues downloading Adobe Flash Player, Click here." but never does anything else. When I take advantage of the 'click here' option or the "Need Help?" prompt in the upper right corner I get another screen overlay showing the following. The problem is I am not getting any of the prompts shown below. It is as if the download never started. And no the prompts shown below are not really apearing and just hiding behind another open window on my screen. It seems to me that the update and download functions are broken. The same thing happens if i go directly to the ADOBE site and try to initiate the install or updates directly from there. Can someone help with this?

When File Download dialog box appears, click Run.  Security scan will run automatically.

When User Account Control dialog box appears, click Yes.

Note : If you are still unable to download Adobe Flash Player, click the Back button on your browser. Then click Install/Download now and select the option to  Save and Run.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

John,

I am not sure Maria will reply before Monday.

You say you try going to the Adobe site and it still does not download.

Have you tried:

1. Restart your computer to stop any Adobe process that may be running.

2. Go to the following Adobe site. Go down to the bottom where it says, 'Still having problems?'. Click on the link for Internet Explorer.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

If this does not work, perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jwklingon,

Thanks for a very clear problem description and including the screenshots.

Sometimes the steps on the browser get ahead of the actual installer dialog launching.

After you click YES in the User Account Control dialog the installer should launch.  Is this not happening?  Could it be launching behind the browser?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria,

You seem to be following my narrative up to the point where we get to the screen shots. The screens shown are from the help window and, no, I never get a save or run type prompt or a user account dialogue box to click yes in. I have waited for over 45 minutes on several attempts and never get any king of prompt while the screen hangs and waits at step 2 of 3. I even turned on the network monitoring to watch the activity on the network card handling my internet connection and out side of a small blip when I first click to "download" there is no traffic in or out.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I am not sure Maria will reply before Monday.

You say you try going to the Adobe site and it still does not download.

Have you tried:

1. Restart your computer to stop any Adobe process that may be running.

2. Go to the following Adobe site. Go down to the bottom where it says, 'Still having problems?'. Click on the link for Internet Explorer.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

If this does not work, perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did try going directly to the Adobe site with no difference in results.

Yes I did try restarting my system. And I even hunted for any running processes from Adobe after the restart.

And Yes I did try going to the Link you suggested for "still having problems" before I posted the original inquiry.

Thanks for the valiant effort Andy

I guess I will wait a few more days to see if Maria or anyone else has additional suggestions and if nothing further comes to light after that then I guess I will have no choice other than to rip Adobe Flash out by its roots manually and then see if I can reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2015 Apr 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you really download and run the installer(s) from Andy's link?  They should be named

• install_flash_player_ax.exe
  • install_flash_player.exe

and there should be nothing "aih" in the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy

I cant seem to find the way to let you know that I was able to do the installation by going directly to the download link you provided. There is no "correct" below any of the responses for me to click on so I hope you get your points. I am going to let Marie know. Thanks for the help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jwklingon,

Thanks for confirming the behaviour, much appreciated.  The online installer that you were using (aih in the file name) downloads the Flash Player installer silently in the background and installs it silently.  It appears that, for some reason, the download was not occurring.  The link Andy provided has the offline installers, which are the full installers and don't download anything in the background.  Those should work on your system.  If it doesn't, please provide a screenshot of the error the displays, if any.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marie,

I cant seem to find the way to let you know that I was able to do the installation by going directly to the download link Andy provided. There is no "correct" below any of the responses including yours for me to click on so I hope he can get his points. I wonder why the automatic download and install is not working on my system. I also wonder why there is no way for me to mark the answer as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi jwklingon,

Thanks for confirming the offline installer worked for you.  I've not been able to reproduce the behaviour you experienced with the online installer, so it's difficult to investigate why it's happening.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines