7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 2:39 AM by ausmack

download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update

patrick923@mac.com

Hi,

I am trying to download Adobe Acrobat DC.  The download hangs at 35%, and I get a message that says I should quit -safariXXXXX.  The Safari browser is not running when I get this message.  I am not sure what the problem is.  I thought maybe someone else here has had the same problem and could help. 

I have an iMac that is about 5 months old.  It's a retina 5k.  I am running OS X 10.10.2

Any help appreciated ... thanks.

Patrick

• 1. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
          Rave Adobe Employee

Hi Patrick,

You need to close the program from within Activity Monitor. Go to Application > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Click the column title "Process Name" to sort alphabetically otherwise they move around on you.

Find Safari Notification in the list, click on it.

Then click on the button that looks like an octagon with an X in the middle of it.

This will force the application to quit and you can then finish your download.

activitymonitor.jpg

Regards,

Rave

• 2. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
            Karan Malik Adobe Employee

This would be similar to Acrobat XI Pro Install asking to "Please close the following app to continue: 'SafariNotific'"

You can either Turn Off Safari Push Notification in Safari > Preferences > Notifications .

Or

Go to "Activity Monitor" ( Application > Utilities > Activity Monitor) and find a process Safari Notifications. Select it and kill it by pressing octagon shaped x button.

• 3. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
              scottperezfox Level 1

I'm having the same problem. I tried that yesterday but the install didn't complete. I'll try again, but what should we do if it doesn't work?

Also, for a new application title to have these installation problems — non-compatibility with a little-known but widespread OS function — is an absolute joke. This should have been sorted out in Alpha testing.

• 4. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
                patrick923@mac.com Level 1

Starshipdesign....

I was able to complete the installation following Rave's instructions, and very probably would have been successful had I followed the instructions for turning off the Push Notification in Safari (I tried that too) if I had a better understanding of the Safari Preferences for doing that.  In fact, turning off Push notifications would be my first choice if this should ever happen again.....I just think it would work better and would be easier if I understood Safari's preferences  better, and i think the process of "understanding it better" would not take a long time....a "short learning curve", if you will.

But here is an important thing I discovered.....it may help you.

It took four attempts before I was able to complete the installation.  Each time I tried, it would hang at 35%, even if I used the Activity Monitor to force quit the SafariNotificationAgent before starting the installation process.  What I finally did was restart the computer, open up Safari and let it run for a minute, quit Safari, and then use Activity Monitor to force quit the SafariNotificatonAgent, and then start Adobe's installation.....AND....as the installation monitor approached 35%, I watched the Activity Monitor closely and guess what....the SafariNotificationAgent suddenly started up again when the installer reached 33%, even though Safari was not running. I think that might be happening for you too.  It might happen at 20% or 30% or whatever, or it might not happen at all. So i quickly went to the Activity Monitor, which I had open and running while installing the Adobe update, and force quit the SafarinotificatonAgent.  Then the installer completed the installation process.  It took only a minute or two after going past the 35% mark to complete the process.

Hope this helps!

And thank you for your help, Rave and Karan.

• 5. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
                  scottperezfox Level 1

Thanks Patrick. I restarted and made extra sure that Safari (nor Fluid, nor SafariNotificati) was not running. The installation was successful.

• 6. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
                    Karan Malik Adobe Employee

For the information, the issue has been now resolved from Adobe Side. You would not see the message asking you to quit processes like SafariNotific for which you had to go to Activity Monitor and kill the process.

-Karan

• 7. Re: download hangs at 35% for Adobe Acrobat Update
                      ausmack Level 1

I tried it 2 mins ago and I still have the problem.