• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Update disables "restore all windows from last session" in Safari on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac OS 10.9.5, using safari 7.1.2.  Adobe Flash Player Update loses all safari windows when after update the installer automatically opens safari and just opens flash player website; the "restore all windows from last session" is grayed out in history. The "reopen last closed window" is also grayed out. It has been happening ever since and happened again when I just installed Flash Player ver 16.0.0.257.

For all other normal working situation I can close safari and reopen and see that I can "restore all windows from last session" and there is no problem.  But on flash Player install (set on manual install), the problem is annoying and costs me a lot of time to restore one by one from history.  I do not think this is a Mac or a Safari issue, but will update to Mac Yosemite help if Adobe Flash Player is updated differently in that setup?

Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I called adobe flash player technical support phone number 1 877-587-1877.  They want $59 (warranty only 6 months) to fix this problem as they use a third party to solve this issue; they themselves provide no support.  Or buy the paid version.  They insist it is my network issue which I absolutely can not believe.

It is adobe Flash player update that forces reopening of safari and wracks the safari losing all windows from last session. That is not my network.  Adobe does not have a proper safari compatible flash player update.

Besides, this is a known problem at Adobe and they are not fixing it and want money to fix it one person at a time!  They also shared that 25% to 30% of the installations have this problem... wow!! and they still will not fix it in a general update!  I wonder if safari has a plug in update that can fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay Bhandari wrote:

Or buy the paid version.

There is no such thing as a paid Flash Player version.  There is something out there called "Flash Player Pro", but not from Adobe, and it's not a real product, it's a scam.

Sanjay Bhandari wrote:

It is adobe Flash player update that forces reopening of safari and wracks the safari losing all windows from last session.

Go about it methodical, as I (on Windows) or anybody with some sense would do:

1. download the update and save it to disk
  2. quit all browser sessions
  3. run the downloaded update
  4. reopen your browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done what you suggested at the end of your response, but the Flash install still reopens the Safari browser automatically wiping out all windows from last session.  It appears it is a built in step in the install.

One of the staff person "Maria" shared that there is no work around at the moment and they are working to change the requirement to close browsers during the installation process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sb-sb,

There is currently no work-around for the requirement to close all applications that user Flash Player in order to install Flash Player.  For your situation, while Safari may relaunch with the previous tabs closed, if you go to the history tab is the 'Reopen All Windows from Last Session' option available?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sb-sb

We realize this is a huge frustration point with our users and are working to change the requirement to close browsers during the installation process.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, just fought this problem again, but this time with a solution.

step 1) create a second admin account in the "system preferences" -> "Users and Groups" preference, make sure this is type admin.

step 2) quit safari in your main account

step 3) switch to the new admin account and update flash

step 4) switch back to your account and reopen safari

step 5) (optional) delete the new admin account

If you update with your new admin account it can't mess with the browser history / saved tabs in your main account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines