Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Single sourcing

Nov 20, 2007 Nov 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing FrameMaker files into RoboHelp and creating Help, I changed the FrameMaker file, saved it, and regenerated the Help, expecting (perhaps naively) to see the Help updated with the change I'd made. But no. In RoboHelp for FrameMaker, you could change the 'source file' FrameMaker documents and the Help would keep in line with those changes. Have I made a fundamental mistake by upgrading to the Technical Communication Suite? Because I can't seem to do many, if any, of the things I could do with FrameMaker 7.1 and RoboHelp for Framemaker.

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there was a post recently where someone confirmed that with TCS, when you update the FM document, you just need to click a couple of buttons and the RH project gets updated. Sorry, I cannot be more specific but at least it confirms what you want is "doable".

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do here is as follows:
In the Robohelp Project Files area, select the sub folder for the material you have imported previously from FM.
Now right click and select Update All to update your material.
The RH project should now reflect the changes made in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I can't find an Update All option anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2007 Nov 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again,
This option is only available on the RH7 that comes with TCS. If that's what you have, try selecting the file icon representing the book you have imported by reference and right clicking on that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2007 Nov 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't add by reference, I imported. Perhaps therein lies the problem. I can't tell you how terrible my Help files look in comparison to the nice FrameMaker manual: images the wrong size, nothing aligns, all spacing messed up, TOC a laughing stock, . A complete, depressing, dog's dinner. Should I have to manually change everything once imported, to look less than appalling? I'm rambling now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2007 Nov 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the update all part, that's exactly the problem, to use the update all option you need to import by reference.

As for formats of pictures and the like I have no experience of sourcing in FM and then pulling into RH. What I would suggest however, If import by reference doesn't fix it, is try doing a test chapter in FM and looking at the various problems. Possibly creating a special set of formats in FM that you apply before importing into RH?

Sorry I can't be more help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks very much. Yes, I'm currently working through a very small chapter, trying to identify and iron out the problems. I hope to get there in the end but it feels like one step forward, three back at the moment! Clearly RoboHelp for FrameMaker made my life too easy and Adobe decreed that I should toughen up and experience some real grief

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using plain old FrameMaker 8 and RoboHelp 7. I'm not using the suite. Can you tell me how to import a FrameMaker file into RoboHelp by reference? I can't find that option anywhere. I can only import a FrameMaker file, which doesn't seem to have a link back to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowanna

I really hate to be a bearer of bad news here, but I believe that option is only available with the suite versions of RoboHelp and Frame. These are specially coded versions that are configured to work with each other.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick. At least now I can stop driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock your bedroom door tonight or they'll get you!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp