• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH under the covers

Engaged ,
Nov 21, 2007 Nov 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been looking for ways to improve performance with RH and RSC. As part of the analysis, I used a performance monitor to see what processes occurred while RH was running. Yikes! Even when I am at rest in the project, a seemingly endless parade of file accesses goes flying by. Thousands upon thousands of them. I see this odd looping through files that are associated with the templates, and an ongoing polling of all the folders in the project. Once in a while, it will stop. Certain activities seem to set the whole thing in motion again.

Has anybody looked at this? Is there a way to tame this behavior to achieve better response time? At a casual glance, it looks like RH7 restricts this behavior a little bit. Where RH6 was doing its template-related looping more or less constantly, RH7 was doing it about once a second. That's not enough to tame the beast, though.

Any hints appreciated!

G

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, G

Very intereting.

This is not just at the beginning, for a few moments after you've launched the project, but whenever the project is open. If you are idle, does RH stop until you change something?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It keeps on going even if I'm idle. (Not that I'm admitting to being idle!) It's not entirely consistent, though. Sometimes it stops and waits. I did see an interesting correlation where the entries were just spinning by...until I closed the Single Source Layouts pseudofolder. Then it stopped. Opening the folder again - not *doing* anything, mind you, just opening the folder - started the entries spinning by again. Same behavior with the stylesheet folder. Not with the templates folder, interestingly enough.

Then RH had to mess with my neat theory by starting the processes again without me opening a folder or touching anything.

I haven't established the pattern, but there sure seems to be a lot going on.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp