• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force Navigation upon FIRST review of slide, then allow learner full navigation upon re-reviewing slide?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need to force learners to watch a slide and listen to the complete audio before allowing the learner to move forward, and then enable the learner to click Next immediately if they return to review any previously viewed slides. 

I used a custom Next button/Click box and moved the Next button to the end of the timeline so that learners are forced to review entire slide (our client requires this).  But now i need a way for the learner to be able to returns to a slide that they have already reviewed, and have the Next button available immediately, so that the learner is not forced to re-review an entire slide/audio again.

Can this be done in Captivate?

Thanks!

Sherri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a former college teacher I hate that sentence "I need to force...." but that is not your question, just cannot stop myself from mentioning it.

There are several approaches possible: adding a playbar when coming back, adding another button from the beginning of the slide that will replace the one at the end of the slide. Or, if you have a lot of things happening on that slide and you want to get the user immediately to the end of the slide, using micronavigation. Is this for one slide or for several slides in the file?

Anyway you'll need to trigger a conditional action On Enter for that slide. Again I have a question: is this a linear course or a course with branching, jumping between slides? How do they return to that slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...thanks for replying.  Yes I hate to force users to watch a slide but our Client demands this for Compliance reasons.

- There is no branching in this course. 

- There may be about 30 slides...for which they have to begin and slide 1 and go straight through to slide 30 to be scored as completed (for Compliance purposes).

- Each slide will have audio and animated text.  The client does not want the learner to be able to click Next until the audio has finished playing. 

- We will also have a TOC, and clients will only be able to jump to sections they have already visited. 

- Learners need to be able to jump back to any section or page (whether using the TOC or previous button) to re-review any content they wish, BUT be able to quickly click Next and go forward (without being forced to rewatch an entire slide), that is, they need to be able to go forward up until they reach the point where they last left off before they jumped back.

I know how to delay my custom Next button from displaying until the audio for that slide is finished; but i do not know how to make it display immediately upon re-visiting the slide.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sherri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out an elegant solution, easily to reuse in projects. But I will write a blog post about it and post the link. It will probably be online tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the great blog post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  This is working great!  I do have one more issue to resolve as this now interferes with my previous Onslide enter of Hiding the playbar.  Our client has the course set up as 5 pages of content and audio (for which your solution works great).  The playbar includes TOC, PLAY, CC.  and then we have two slides of customized questions using advanced actions for several feedback responses.  On those slides, i have to hide the playbar.  But if someone jumps back from one of those slides, the playbar is still hidden unless i have Onslide enter\ Show playbar on all other slides. I am unable to add the Show Playbar to the shared action of ShowNext.   {{I know the navigation of this course is getting really extensive and complicated}}}}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, think I have solved your problem. And it took me a couple of hours, after all have to earn some money as well. Maybe someone else can help now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...I really appreciate your solution.  We will definitely be able to use your solution on many courses...especially since many clients are 'forcing' pages due to Compliance reasons.  And maybe we'll come up with something else for the playbar issue... like eliminate it all together!

Thanks again!

Sherri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to follow Lilybiri 's post, but am getting an error message that my shared action "Show_Next" is invalid when I attempt to assign it to "on slide enter". Also, every time I go back into Shared Actions to view "Show_Next" the variable names of the target buttons are cleared out.

Any assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching screens shot of my Advanced and Shared Actions, Variables and buttonsScreen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.00.46 PM.png.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.01.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.02.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.01.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.03.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.08.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.08.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 3.13.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you define the parameters, when assigning the shared action? You have to click on the button {P}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not- a very noob mistake!

Thanks for looking into my issues, all is working as expected now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have since expanded upon this Shared Action to show/hide other objects (mostly successfully), but have run into another issue. I do believe my logic is correct, but perhaps I am missing something. I have a smart shape "vidBlocker" that I would like shown the first time through a slide (so along with Bt_One, except for the entire slide). Upon revisit, I want it to be hidden. I am attaching screenshots of the Shared Action. Maybe I just need a separate set of eyes, or somebody to confirm that I am/am not crazy, but the shape is still there upon revisit.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 10.12.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 10.12.59 PM.png

EDIT: I confirmed that it is indeed work. The issue is that the element still appears when rendered in the browser, just not visually. So while you can no longer see the shape, it is still there, blocking elements below it. That ties into another post I just made about the same issue. Hiding elements is akin to CSS's visibility:hidden, and not display:none (the latter of which is the functionality I desire). Any ideas on how to remove an object completely as opposed to just "hiding" it? I realize this is now getting off-topic to the original post, so I'll post a link to my thread that's specific to this here: Hidden objects still appear on top of other elements when hidden in HTML5 output

Any help much appreciated- thank you!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources