3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 1:33 PM by dimelives1

Exported video shorter than in Premiere

dimelives1

Hi all,

The problem that I'm having has been asked about before in the following threads...

Exported video shorter than Work Area length?

Video file shorter in Adobe Encore CS6

...but the solutions/answers in those threads have been of no avail for me.

As the previous posters have already so succinctly typed out virtually my exact problem, I am going to copy and paste what one of them wrote and make any necessary ammendments for my particular case in blue.

"I edited a film in Premiere CS6 and exported the audio and video (separately, for 5.1 audio purposes) as H.264 Blu Ray and AC3 audio.  When I imported these files into Encore CS5.5 to author the Blu Ray disc, the .m4v video file is slightly shorter than the film in the actual project, resulting in audio that is syncronized at the beginning of the film, but gets progressively worse and is ultimately out of sync by about 4-5 seconds at the end of the film.  ... the film is 02:03:02:21 in length, but in Encore CS5.5 it's saying 02:02:58:06.  The AC3 audio file is the correct length in Encore.  The footage is all 23.976fps ..."

In the first linked thread, all that the OP had to do was import the files into Encore to see that the length was actually correct. Unfortunately, the problem is program-independent in my case. The video file is the wrong length and gets out of sync with the (correctly lengthed) audio, be it in Windows, Encore, or Premiere. (I even imported the exported video back into the very project it came from and it did not match up.)

In the second thread (the one I quoted from), basically the only "answer" the OP got was some dodgy advice from tech support (advice that was quickly disputed by other posters), and the OP ended up just settling on using MPEG2 for his project -- something I really don't want to have to do, as I so desire the gains of H.264 instead...

So are there any other possibilities for how to fix this problem?? Source videos are all 23.976fps, no gaps at the beginning, end, or anywhere else in the sequence, I was very thorough in making sure my export settings all matched up just right, let the thing run overnight with no interruption... I really have no idea what I could've done wrong.

System specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 GHz

Intel 4 Series Express GPU

10 GB RAM

• 1. Re: Exported video shorter than in Premiere
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking at your timings, the difference in length is the same percentage as the difference between 23.976 and 24 fps. Something is not reading the frame rate correctly.

• 2. Re: Exported video shorter than in Premiere
            dimelives1 Level 1

Richard M Knight wrote:

Looking at your timings, the difference in length is the same percentage as the difference between 23.976 and 24 fps. Something is not reading the frame rate correctly.

I was wondering if it might be something like that (thanks for doing the math)... Do you think there may be some kind of rounding-error or a bad line of code somewhere in Adobe's H.264 codec? Is there any way to get into the relevant file(s) and investigate/fix something like that?...

• 3. Re: Exported video shorter than in Premiere
              dimelives1 Level 1

I exported the same project using MPEG2, and it did indeed come out the correct length, so it's definitely something to do with the H.264 codec(s). If there are any braniacs among us who know how to decipher coding, and would like to try to figure out what's wrong with them, they can be found (in Win) in: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\MediaIO\codecs

Also, I can confirm that this behavior occurs when using Media Encoder as well, so the same problem must be in that app's codec(s) as well.